Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help with Rigging my Hobie 17 with a jib  Bottom

• I have a H17 that I want to add a jib. Need source for hardware for lines and chocks. Has anyone done this with success? I find Upper forestay, lower forestay, pully block, halyard wire etc. Not real clear on putting all the pieces together. Would like any advice.
  • Murrays offers a jib kid, so is Hobie.

http://www.murrays.com/30-5104.html

But, it will cost you close to $2000 with the jib, shipping, etc. You may be better off by selling your H17 and getting H17 S or some other cat with a jib, such as H16 or H18.

Good luck and welcome to the forum icon_smile

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Welcome dayglopirate,

Is your H17 very late model and worth upgrading?

How experienced are you with the Hobie 17? Where do you sail? How much weight do you carry?

Keep in mind the H17 doesn't have much load capacity and the Hobie 17 Sport configuration isn't raced one design.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Why do you want to add a jib? Just curious, I always liked the simplicity of the Hobie 17 in its main only version.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Hi all,

I have the Hobie Sport conversion kit and my bridle bar has the 6 inch metal extension so that the bridle will be 6 inches above bows. I have seen pictures where the bridle bar is rigged without this extension so it is on top of the bow attachment post. Note I am adding a spinnaker so what would be the best way to rig this citing the addition of the spinnaker?

Thank you in advance for any information or guidance you can provide,

James
  • Almost forgot, I plan to move to Super Jib setup (we are an extreme light wind area) so would this impact placement of bow spreader bar (i.e. immediately on top of bow attachment post or 6 inches up with stock Hobie 17 spreader that have attached 6" bars.

Thanks again all for all the valuable information and guidance,

James
    Farrier F25C (w/SR85 floats)
    Hobie 17
  • ~~ I have the Super jib on mine. Your bar will be lower on top of the bows. (I think ya might have to get a different bar??) Ya do know it's a one man boat unless ya have a light-weight with ya, and that boat is a Rocket, almost scarry... I DON'T recommend a Spinnaker. Your mast doesn't have the Diamond wire set up like the 18. Thats alotta pressure for that mast... Your Super jib will be just fine..Trust me, I know . I might have some picts burried in this site somewhere or contact me popeyez7@aol.com and I'll send ya some picts.. SAIL SAFE !!! icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I totally agree with popeyez7 - you will have your hands full sailing solo with a jib. It is a great boat but unfortunately they don't make them anymore. I've had 2 of them and regret selling them. - lakeemma

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.