Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where to find out about local regattas and modification rules  Bottom

• Sorta new to the whole class rules and stuff so any help is appreciated.

So I've been wanting to enter in some open regattas for fun in my H18 but haven't been able to find much information online. I hear there are regular races around Florida but have yet to run into anyone that knows much about them for the cats. I'm in Ocala but drive down to the Clearwater area on the weekends to sail. Hoping to move to the Tampa/Sarasota area soon.

On the Hobie race website it doesn't give much of a list of class rules for my boat mines mentioning an 8:1 downhaul and weights.

Is there a boat specific list somewhere of whats allowed exactly and what penalties are applied for certain modifications. On the PN website it mostly just mentions penalties for different sails.

Also, since the H18 isn't a current class anymore, is there a such thing as a Hobie sponsored event I would even ever enter? I only ask because I was going to be retiring my comp tip mast and switching to a solid one and from what I understand it didn't matter unless you were in a hobie event?

Edited by tamumpower1 on Dec 02, 2015 - 07:29 PM.
  • where are you located?
  • MN3where are you located?

Oh sorry, I updated my post. I'm in Ocala but usually drive down to Clearwater.
  • Class rules are here.

http://hobieclass.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/RBook151001.pdf

The Hobie class website is www.hacna.hobieclass.com

In general, for class racing, the boats have to be more or less stock- all the major equipment (sails, hulls, mast, etc) must be stock Hobie OEM. Rudders and blocks can be upgraded and some of the tuning systems (like downhaul) can be upgraded.

The Hobie 18 class is still a current class, but the majority of the class activity only takes place in certain parts of the country (not Florida). The class still holds an annual north american championship (2016 will be in Mexico).

sm
  • We have several Hobie races on the EMSA schedule which has drawn some Hobies from Florida. However parts for these events have not been released for 2016 yet. Most of the season has drawn to a close, but take a look at this link to see what events are in your area.

http://www.catsailor.com/cs_schedules.html

As far as the Hobie 18 goes, in our group, you would not take any PN correction short of something wildly different in the sail plan.

The Hobie class guys seem to be happy as long as you make a reasonable attempt to have the boat in stock form, they do not seem so concerned about the maker of your parts as long as the design is the same. No square tops, Spins, Self-tackers, ECT. You would also need to make sure you meet minimum crew weight.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • We have the Gator Bowl Regatta at the Rudder Club in Jacksonville this weekend. 65 degrees, winds 15 gusting to 25. There will be at least 3 Hobie 18's, a Nacra 5.2, possible some others.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Tampa Bay Catsailors has a site, but it's not very up to date - http://tampabaycatsailors.com/

They have 6 or 7 races a year. The next one is Jan 1 (hangover regatta )

They are very casual races, no one cares what type of mast or sail, or parts, etc - but you may take a "hit" for non stock gear you have (an adjustment to the handicapping system).

They are great guys (and gals) and ALWAYS want more racers. No one would care if you are a novice or expert and all are willing to give you tips and help.

tamumpower1
    MN3where are you located?

Oh sorry, I updated my post. I'm in Ocala but usually drive down to Clearwater.
  • Also - even info is pretty up to date on this site
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…forums/viewforum/forum/2
  • Thanks for the info guys I'll have to check out some of these clubs and their schedules for January since I'll be back in Texas for most of December for the holidays.

I'm sure I can sail around the course but dang there are a lot of rules about right of way and stuff. I guess if I'm bringing up the rear it won't matter much though right?! icon_biggrin

How did everyone else's first race go?
  • If you're just getting into racing, I wouldn't worry too much about class compliance. Most people will just be happy to see another boat on the starting line. If you get competitive, especially if you are class racing or if you go to a major championship, then people will start to fuss if you're not complying with class rules. For low key races, just bring what you got and don't worry about it.

I would suggest you at least try to gain a basic understanding of the rules. A lot of it won't make much sense to you unless you've actually been on a race course, but you should know some of the fundamentals before you go out. Just because you're bringing up the rear doesn't necessarily mean you won't be near other boats, so it's good to know how the rules apply.

A lot of newbies think they will just use the tactic of staying clear of EVERYONE, but this is really not the best approach. For example, the basic rule that everyone knows is that starboard has right of way over port (in most cases). So if you're on starboard thinking you'll just get out of everyone's way, and a port tacker is approaching thinking he has to give you right of way, you could end up causing more problems by changing course rather than holding your course.

Anyway, the rules of Part II, Section A are pretty basic and will keep you sailing clean through most situations. I would at least familiarize yourself with those.

sm
  • tamumpower1Thanks for the info guys I'll have to check out some of these clubs and their schedules for January since I'll be back in Texas for most of December for the holidays.

I'm sure I can sail around the course but dang there are a lot of rules about right of way and stuff. I guess if I'm bringing up the rear it won't matter much though right?! icon_biggrin

How did everyone else's first race go?

I googled sailing rules
    here are some "light" versions

http://www.bcya.com/Misc/BasicRacingRules.pdf
    http://www.pultneyvilleya…fRacingRulesWithPics.pdf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHf42toTkU

My first race was as crew - we were in first when we capsized (tried to sail to high with the spin out)
    my first race as skipper - i had experienced crew - they coached me
    my next race as skipper i brought my girlfriend. We came in about 3 hours after everyone else (it was a 25 mile race)

YOu may want to crew for a few races to get a better understanding

I think they still have wed evening races every week at davis island yacht club (tampa) and Always welcome new sailors and take them as crew (these are mono hulls) - call the DIYC for info
  • Come on up to the Rudder Club this weekend. I will be sailing my Hobie 18 in the Gator Bowl Regatta. We will help you out and explain stuff. It will be a good time to go out and learn as we will have chase boats out in case you get into any trouble. I am a big supporter of folks racing. Mainly for the reason that it actually makes you go out sailing. Otherwise it is easy to come up with excuses and do something else. Hope to see you there.
  • Yea I'll have to see about crewing, that could be fun. I have to pick up a new mast near Clearwater this weekend so we were planning on just sailing down there this weekend, but theres a chance that deal might fall through, if so we will head to the Gator Bowl. Looking at the schedule there's a race on sunday next weekend so there's a good chance we could head up on that day. Are the H18 racing then too or just this weekend?
  • weather looks terrible for this weekend in clwtr.
    small craft advisory
    gust to 30 predicted - my boat will not be out in that weather and i would not recommend anyone sail in those gusty conditions.
  • MN3weather looks terrible for this weekend in clwtr.
    small craft advisory
    gust to 30 predicted - my boat will not be out in that weather and i would not recommend anyone sail in those gusty conditions.

What site do you use? When I checked this morning it was just showing 11-13mph on Saturday.
  • tamumpower1 if so we will head to the Gator Bowl. Looking at the schedule there's a race on sunday next weekend so there's a good chance we could head up on that day. Are the H18 racing then too or just this weekend?

Just this weekend for multi's and one design. Next weekend is big boats.
  • bruiser
    tamumpower1 if so we will head to the Gator Bowl. Looking at the schedule there's a race on sunday next weekend so there's a good chance we could head up on that day. Are the H18 racing then too or just this weekend?

Just this weekend for multi's and one design. Next weekend is big boats.

Ok, we will head that way then since now that I can see the gusts for Dunedin it's a no go. I checked out yalls location on the river there and parking looks tight. Anything I should know about pulling up out there? I'm in a green truck.

Edited by tamumpower1 on Dec 04, 2015 - 04:50 PM.
  • I just added Hiram's Haul to the schedule for the weekend before Halloween next year. Two days, protected water of the intercostal, no ground crew needed. Race committee hauls luggage and big party at Captain Hiram's Saturday night. Perfect for newbee that wants to try distance racing.
    www.SailSeries.com

Gilligan's Run is also a good race in July or August. Toughest part of the race is the beach launch.

Edited by cyberspeed on Dec 04, 2015 - 10:25 PM.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.