Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 halyard, one way or continuous  Bottom

• On the '81 I just bought, the halyard was missing. I do have an Aussie ring. The rope I first used stretched to much to raise the sail to the hook, missed by around three feet. I have purchased, hastily, 60' of vinyl coated cable.

Would you run it normally and just coil it up in the tramp bag or run it continuous so that the tail runs up the mast with the sail? I may even be able to run it up the luff track with the sail.
  • For those that don't know. There is a sheave at both ends of the mast, so you actually pull the halyard up from th bottom of the mast.
  • Or hang a single block about four feet from mast bottom and now raise sail using 2:1 purchase while standing on ground in front of head to wind boat. But vinyl coated cable, no. Pete
  • You mean behind the boat? The sheaves are only 1/4 exposed to the rear.
  • You should be using 1/4" prestretch line for the H18 main halyard. If you have two people, then one stands at the base of the mast and guides the luff into the sail track while the other stands at the stern and hoists. If you're raising the sail solo, then you can either stand on the tramp and hoist-feed-hoist-feed, or add a pulley as Pete described which will allow you to stand in front of the mast base and pull the halyard toward yourself as you guide the sail up. Note that this does not give you a 2:1 purchase, it just changes the direction of pull. However you raise the sail, be sure the bows are pointed directly into the wind.

sm
  • QuoteWould you run it normally and just coil it up in the tramp bag

yup
  • QuoteOr hang a single block about four feet from mast bottom

Pete, do you mean run the halyard down to the sheave at mast base, then up to a hanging block?
    Or have the halyard exit the luff track at the hanging block?
    The 20' Mystere has a small sheave at mast base. The feed groove was slightly offset from center, so you had to place the sail just to the right of the mast.
    The H18 looks to be centered, but I'll have to replace that bottom sheave, it is missing from the pin on the mast base.
    I will be raising the sail solo 95% of the time, so it will be hoist/feed while standing on the tramp.
    Will the extra turning block make it easier?
    Should I get rid of that small SS sail guide that is screwed onto the sail feed opening?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Run the halyard down to the sheave at the mast base, then up to the hanging block. Hook ring to head of sail and start to feed it. This now gives you enough halyard to run it through the hanging block on the side of mast. So you're standing on the ground facing aft pulling down on halyard with one hand & guiding the sail with other hand---much better than standing on the tramp pulling up. Now the real secret. Buy a $12 EASY RIG from Murrays windsurf section. This clam cleat inbedded in a large piece of plastic makes grabbing the halyard very easy. Hanging block should be above your head by a foot when standing on the ground. An eyestrap and two aluminum rivits does the job. Pete
  • QuoteSo you're standing on the ground...

This I won't be able to do. All out Cats sit fully rigged,(except for mainsail) on modified SeaDoo lifts beside the dock. If I stand in front of it, (in the water), the front beam is chest high.
    I have to be on the tramp when sail is raised.
    Quote Now the real secret. Buy a $12 EASY RIG

I know exactly what you mean. the 20' Mystere was a b*tch to raise without one of those. Stiff laminated sail. Mine is by Clamcleat, I forget the #, & it doesn't have the shackle tool, but it accomplishes the same thing. It was attached to end of the halyard, (so it was always there when needed), with a small slip ring, so it would easily move up the line as you raised the sail
    I found the secret on the Mystere was to ditch the 1/4" line, & go with 3/16". It doesn't sound like much, but the little bit extra pushed the ring just enough to make hooking, & worst of all unhooking a real pain. Once I went to 3/16", it worked first try every time.
    With the tool I could have used 1/8".
    I'll try the hanging block, I like pulling down on halyard, that's how our Nacra's work.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Or you can clip a bullet block onto the center tramp lacings (use a snap shackle or even just an S-hook to connect the block). Run the halyard from the mast base back to block and then back forward to the front crossbar. Now you can stand at the front crossbar facing aft and pull the halyard toward yourself while simultaneously guiding the sail up the luff track.

Wrapping the main halyard around a pair of pliers makes for a good stand-in handle. We do this all the time.

sm
  • Thanks for the tips, they're all easy to do, I'll try a few in the spring.
    Regarding raising the sail, do most people retain that little SS sail feeder thing that sits in the luff groove?
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120228&g2_serialNumber=4
    It is quite small, & looks like you would have to feed the sail exactly, or tear the material.
    Is it of any real value vs just feeding into the main groove?

Also, that little swing plate on the sail hook, at mast top...how does that work,(or doesn't)?
    The Mystere uses a similar hook,(without the plate), but if I use a thin halyard & rotate the mast, it's easy to hook/unhook.
    Lastly, where does the halyard run?
    Looking at the masthead sheave, it appears the halyard returns INSIDE the mast. If so, how is it sealed? That will be underwater when flipped...or does it sort of turn 90* and come back down via the luff groove?
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120283&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 18, 2015 - 11:12 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Ditch the sail feeder - it's more trouble than it's worth. Take out the screws, remove the feeder and spacers, and then reinstall the screws with a dab of silicone to seal the mast.

Most people find the flapper on the mast hook to be more trouble than it's worth. The concept is that if you raise the sail so the halyard ring goes above the hook but not above the flapper, then the ring will engage the hook. If you raise the ring all the way to the top of the mast, then the flapper will drop down and block the hook and you can lower the sail. In reality, you can achieve the same thing more easily by just rotating the mast to engage or disengage the hook. The comptip masts don't have the flapper.

The halyard returns down the luff track, so the mast is sealed.

sm
  • I went with a one way halyard, stayed with the cable I bought, works easily with the silicone spray I also used. Got the sail up for the first time last night. Ground off the hook flapper, made setting the ring much easier.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.