Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trailer sailing a Hobie 21SE... collapsing procedure  Bottom

• I really want a Hobie 21SE but I need to trailer. I haven't found clear instruction on collapsing the beams but from looking at pictures it looks like once you pull out taper pin and untie tramp lace the beam will slide in.

How easy does the beam slide? If I had a mechanism on trailer cradles that pulled them in a foot would the boat collapse with the trailer?

Does port and starboard sides of crossbar need to collapse to be width legal?

My other idea would be to hop up a Hobie 21SC, could I easily adapt a Hobie 20 rig to work?
  • The hardest part I have found to be is putting it back together. The easiest way is to simply not take it apart and just extend the trailer to 10 feet wide, however if your trailering very long distances you will probably have to collapse it. You just need to have about 2-4 guys when putting it back together to line up the holes, hold the hull up, and insert the pens.
  • I have sailed my 21SE new since '89 and only took it apart to trailer the first year. We have trailer it wide from Indiana to Texas ,Michigan, Florida and many points in between...just take the outside lane at the toll booths and you should be fine.............. icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I allways try to at least know what the "worst case" scenario is if im gonna stretch a law.

last year I helped a friend drive his mystere 6.0 xl with 10' beams to the beach. I thought we were gonna tilt it... but that was broken so i had to get talked into doing it. i told him i would never do it again. I looked up on line in fl what the penalties are (took a lot of searching)

if you get pulled over in florida with an over-sized load they are supposed to (will probably) make you stop and park, and go get a permit for an oversized load. this may require a chase car or 2 as well. This could take a few days esp if on a fri afternoon). they could impound/tow you too (at your cost)
  • Both sides need to collapse to be legal. But nice one side is done doing both is little extra effort. It is a two person job, more is easier but 2 works fine. Usually use hip or butt to bump the hulls in or out, one person at the bow and one at the stern. Same procedure I used for years on 12ft wide SC20.

The biggest pain is redoing the tramp after collapsing. The actual collapse and expand is not that much work. Lining up the pins takes a little fiddling, but not terrible.

For the record a 10' boat looks wide towed behind a sedan, but looks normal towed behind and RV or a camper, especially if the trailer is centered under the boat.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • My tow vehicle is an 05' Wrangler which makes my 18 look oversize.... I'm going to look into leaving at a marina on trailer, otherwise the tilt trailer is definitely the best option.

The gas shocks are a great idea. I also thought of mounting a scissor jack near hinge.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.