Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Getting restarted: looking for advice on the right cat  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi everyone - my first time here. In my younger days I used to rip around on a Hobie 16 only truly happy when we were airborne or plowing into an epic pitch pole! OK, so 25 years later after a long break from sailing I'm moving to Florida (just north of Tampa) and I'm super-excited about getting back into sailing (in fact that's the #1 reason for making the move back to the coast). I think we'll be doing an altogether different kind of sailing there so I could do with some advice on which cat to look out for. Here are my requirements:

• I'm not a racer (unless there's another cat within 20 miles - mwahahaha!) - this is all about fun. I don't want a complicated, delicate cat that needs to be handled with white gloves.
    • I do have a place where I can leave the mast up over the weekend, but I expect most of the time I will be day sailing so I need something not too arduous to set up. It also needs to be straightforward to trailer, so probably not super-wide.
    • I'll be mostly two up - me and my wife or some other willing victim. However, I do want something I can single-hand in lighter conditions. You can single-hand anything in the right wind, but my requirement is that I can right it alone (I'm more than happy using something like a righting pole).
    • We'll be heading off to hang on one of the many islands so I need a cat that I can load up with a few supplies - lunch etc., and maybe a couple of extra people for short haul transits or a weekends worth of camping gear.
    • We'll be squeezing through island passes so I need something with pretty good upwind performance if I'm beating home through a gap. I'm thinking maybe something with center-boards?
    • Above all, it needs to be FUN! The thing I miss most about the H16 is just ripping across the bay, two out on the wire, and feeling like I can fly! I wouldn't mind a dryer ride though....

So what do you think? I'll probably have a budget of around $10k tops. I'm pretty proficient in hull-repairs and not averse to replacing a baggy set of sails, so I have no problem going with an older cat.

Thanks! - Adrian.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • My thoughts:

Nacra 570/5.7
    Hobie 18
    Prindle 18
    Nacra 5.8
    Nacra 5.5 sl

Basically in order of preference.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
    click on "Search"
    Type "What Cat to Buy"
    there are quite a few threads with exactly your question.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris, yes, I'm in search mode for sure but wanted to see if anyone had any pointers. Wolfman, thanks for the tips. I'm familiar with Hobies and Prindles but the Nacras are new to me (I grew up sailing in the UK and I'm not sure I ever saw one over there). They do look very interesting. Looks like I'll need some advice from local sailors in terms of boards vs. skegs - I'm not sure how the shallows are in that area. I've done a bunch of monohull sailing so I know my way around boards, but I do like the point-and-shoot simplicity of skegs or asymmetrics.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • Nacra 5.8 just listed in classifieds and in Florida

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • Take a long look at the G-Cat 5.7 It does everything that you want to do and is the simplest set-up boat going. No boards, symmetric hulls, the deep vee profile provides lateral resistance and helps unload the rudders. Front tramp is for gear and extra passengers. Take the front tramp off and it'll out run a Hobie 18. Extremely smooth and dry ride. No foam coring in the hulls makes them very durable and not prone to little compression dings. Put a new square top boomless main on it and you'll surprise some folks with her speed.

Okay, major disclosure, my old 5.7 is listed on this site. I love the G-Cat but just have too many boats at this time.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • The only downside to the g cat is availability of spares, but that doesn't have to be a huge downside

I love my Nacra 5.7 for most of the same reasons. It's definitely the best most stable boat I've ever sailed. The only potential downside is that it may not point quite as high as a boarded boat. However, no boom, no boards, simple setup huge tramp and great speed make up for that I believe.

I own 2 nacras and have convinced quite a few friends to buy them. Haven't heard any complaints yet.

Edited by Wolfman on Sep 26, 2015 - 09:03 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I'll take a look at the G-Cat. I must admit that I'm fairly taken with the Nacra after reading all afternoon. The 570 Sport looks great, but I don't see many for sale. Looks like a 5.7 with a genny upgrade might be a good option. The more I think about it the more I like the no boom / no boards design for those times when I have newb along for the ride.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • I just looked at your G-Cat, havliii. What year is that? Would it take a gennaker? That front tramp is definitely appealing for extra gear.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • Quote(I grew up sailing in the UK and I'm not sure I ever saw one over there)

You might be familiar with the Dart 18. It is fairly close to the Nacra 5.7, skeg hulls, boomless, carries a 2' shorter mast & smaller sail plan to deal with the bigger winds of the North Sea.
    Quotebut wanted to see if anyone had any pointers.

That is exactly the reason I suggested the /Search.
    You gave good intel re experience/area/what you want.
    There are lots of good pointers in those threads.
    Your budget allows for quite a bit. In your area, I would drive to Dunedin. There are a bunch of good guys sailing off the causeway, just before Honeymoon Is, just beside where they rent kayaks/cats.
    They have mast up storage for a few days/week, & have some very good techniques for solo stepping.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Yes, the Nacra did remind me of the Dart. Funny you should mention Dunedin Causeway - we're just in the process of making an offer on a house not 30 mins from there icon_smile

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • Yes, you could rig a genaker on the G-Cat. This boat comes with a ton of spare parts, including a spare mast and 4 rudders, so that is not an issue. Can't remember the year, will have to get it off the hull today.

Hans Geisler, the designer and G-Cat master lives right there in S. Florida. Chances are you'll sail with him one day. Look at the results from the most recent Florida Dog Fight, Hans won the open class (on corrected time) on a G-Cat 5.0.

I'm currently sailing a Supercat 20, which my wife does not enjoy (very wet and wild ride) I also have a Farrier Tramp trimaran, a Supercat 19 and several other project boats.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Well, after a whole pile of reading I really think the Nacra 570/5.7 looks like the best option. I looked a bunch at the H18, P18, N1.8 and whereas I think my wife and I would have a blast on them, I keep thinking about the inevitable times when I have someone less experienced crewing with me. For those cases, and when single-handing, I love the idea of not having to mess with boards. And I must say that not having a boom has a certain appeal after a few bad encounters on my old H16!

So, fingers crossed that our offer gets accepted on the house we've found, and then I can start the hunt for the right cat. Thanks for the help! There's a ton of great info. on this forum. Looking forward to getting back in the water icon_cool

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • Quote I really think the Nacra 570/5.7 looks like the best option.

You will love that boat. Solo, double, or triple, I've made my old 5.7 do a hair over 20mph.
    Going upwind solo, get up to the front beam. If you sink the lee bow, you can still point OK. It can be pitchpoled, but you really have to work at it.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteI'm not a racer (unless there's another cat within 20 miles - mwahahaha!) - this is all about fun. I don't want a complicated, delicate cat that needs to be handled with white gloves.

Mystere 5.5

QuoteI do have a place where I can leave the mast up over the weekend, but I expect most of the time I will be day sailing so I need something not too arduous to set up. It also needs to be straightforward to trailer, so probably not super-wide.

Mystere 5.5

QuoteI'll be mostly two up - me and my wife or some other willing victim. However, I do want something I can single-hand in lighter conditions. You can single-hand anything in the right wind, but my requirement is that I can right it alone (I'm more than happy using something like a righting pole).

Mystere 5.5

QuoteWe'll be heading off to hang on one of the many islands so I need a cat that I can load up with a few supplies - lunch etc., and maybe a couple of extra people for short haul transits or a weekends worth of camping gear.
    We'll be squeezing through island passes so I need something with pretty good upwind performance if I'm beating home through a gap. I'm thinking maybe something with center-boards?

Mystere 5.5

QuoteAbove all, it needs to be FUN! The thing I miss most about the H16 is just ripping across the bay, two out on the wire, and feeling like I can fly! I wouldn't mind a dryer ride though....

Mystere 5.5

I have 3 Mystere's in my back yard. You can buy one (or all 3 for the right price) :)
    I am in clearwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTPRNHCjbwU

http://www.thebeachcats.c…5-5-catamaran241800.html
  • LOL! OK - maybe I'll have a look at the Mystere too. Looks like I have a bunch more reading to do!

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • So those are centerboards on the Mystere, right? They kick up?

EDIT: Never mind - I found the answer. Yes - centerboards.

Edited by sjbrit on Sep 28, 2015 - 11:19 AM.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • a little more on mystere's and this part of florida

mystere's owner/designer used to bring boats down here in the fall for testing and resale in the late 80's early 90's. Then several locals became dealers and were selling new mystere's here. there even was a myetere rental/sailing school at the St Pete Pier some 20 years ago or so,
    there are a lot of mystere's around here

the new company "mystere composites" sells new and used mystere parts (but their support is sometimes lacking)
  • QuoteI just looked at your G-Cat, havliii. What year is that? Would it take a gennaker? That front tramp is definitely appealing for extra gear.

Gennaker, screecher or spinnaker. All can be made to work

the front tramp makes all those things easier to access but like every boat design there are pro's and cons to the front tramp. i.e. except in very light air, it's not a good place for weight, when your gcat takes a nose dive (it likes to do that in heavy air) it isn't exactly "waive piercing" and if/when your on your side ... it's a lot of extra windage to wrasttle with.

that being said, i like gcats, and sail with 2 of the best gcat sailers in the world. they are both hard to catch (one is 75 year old hans)
  • @MN3 - I was watching your video on YouTube (very nice - where were you sailing?) and I notice you had a pole up front. Do you run an asymmetric? What kind? Screechers are new to me - they got popular after I took off on my sailing hiatus. I'm more used to a fuller gennaker from my monohull days. Seems like a screecher suits a cat pretty well with the extra speed and consequently closer reaches. It also looks like you had a nifty spot for some temporary extra storage up there.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.