Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What to look for when buying a NACRA 5.2?  Bottom

• Hey everyone,

On a fluke from another Hobie 16 purchase I got a call from someone selling a Nacra 5.2. I am making a 4hr drive to look at it and possibly buy it so I was wondering if their are any bad things associated with the 5.2 I should look for. Are there any bad years?

The 5.0 is a great boat thanks again for all the help.

--
    NACRA 5.0 (current)
    Hobie 16 90945 (current) Rehabbed and sold to many to count.
    Hobie 18 (formerly)
    Hobie 17 (formerly)
    Hobie 14 (formerly)
    Goshen, IN
    --
  • Only a few of the same things apply as buying a hobie 16. The hulls are not constructed the same so the soft spot thing doesn't really apply, they are way thinner than the 16. I see that you have a 5.0 which is also a little more robust but similar. Pretty typical things to look for. The later 5.2's have a few differences and some upgrades like the spreader configuration on the mast. I'd check the traveler and traveler track and see if it needs replaced. Take a look at the transoms, make sure that all is good around that area as well as the dagger board trunks. I think that most everything else is similar to buying other catamarans, and most everything can be replaced/upgraded pretty easily on these guys.

ALSO, very cool to see that you are from Goshen! My wife is orginally from Goshen and I am originally from Elkhart. We live up by Grand Rapids now. We should keep in touch, I sail out of St Joe quite a bit and I race in portage weekly. Our season is about done but you should consider it for next year. A great fleet. austinlakecatamaran.com.
    Where do you sail?

Good luck and happy sailing. Let me know if you don't buy it. :)

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.