Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 Jib  Bottom

• We went sailing on Saturday and it was a beautiful day out.

As is normal in Florida at this time of year a huge storm kicked up so we sailed in. Usually these storms roll through after about twenty to thirty minutes so i dropped the mainsail till just about 2 or 3 feet was left in the track and secured it around the boom and left it on the tramp. I let the jib down about 2/3 of the way and tied the boat off to a mooring where the boat could swing around 360 degrees.

The storm hammered through, the boat was fine, but the jib dropped in the water and actually moved the mooring about 10 feet (it was only held down by a cinder block).

Does anyone know a way to secure the Jib easily. I would prefer to drop it most of the way in these circumstances.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Everyone else here knows far more than I do, but you could possibly add a roller furler like those on the 18s. A simple pull of the line and the jib is neatly wrapped. Pull the jib sheet and you are ready to sail.

--
    Bob
    Indio Ca
    1980 Hobie 18
    --
  • Ah, Thanks Bob, but the Hobie 16 is fully battened, horizontally. A roller furler will not work.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • 2 options, first remove the job completely or get it rebattened so they line up with the forestay and you can roll the job around the forestay (that is what you do to convert to roller furling also). Myself I wouldn't leave the sails partially rigged during a storm or for any length of time when I wasn't sailing.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I would never recommend only dropping the jib 2/3 of the way down. That is basically going to turn it into an out of control kite. You would be better off leaving it fully hoisted and just disconnecting the jib sheet blocks. It may get flogged a little but at least it would weather vane. An rven better option if there's time would be to drop it completely, roll it up tight, and tie it to the tramp using the jib sheet. You could also tuck it under the hiking straps.

As also mentioned, Hobie makes a furling jib kit for the 16. You will need to buy the jib specifically built for furling which doesn't have any battens.

sm
  • I have a Newer white Hobie brand H16 furling Jib is good condition. I would the sail, upper swivel and furler for $125 plus shipping.

Edited by nwbostic on Aug 18, 2015 - 05:48 PM.
  • I agree I would never leave my sails up any length of time either even partially. I had a friend that used to keep her sails rolled up and tied with the mainsheet on her tramp and a storm blew through got the sails loose and actually pulled the boat off her lift. It was quite a mess. I always err on the side of caution when it comes to sails.

--
    NACRA 5.0 (current)
    Hobie 16 90945 (current) Rehabbed and sold to many to count.
    Hobie 18 (formerly)
    Hobie 17 (formerly)
    Hobie 14 (formerly)
    Goshen, IN
    --
  • QuoteI would the sail, upper swivel and furler for $125 plus shipping.

That is a VERY cheap price, if the swivel & furler are in good condition.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • When I beach my Hobie 16 and don't want the jib flapping in the wind I will lock the jib down in 1 cleat. Let the sail down and gather it together in a semi rolled fashion. I will then wrap some line around the jib and snug it up. It will stay out of the water and it will not make a racquet. I don't unhook the jib halyard so its easy to raise when I'm ready to hit the water.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.