Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Radio Checks  Bottom

• Hi all,
    I haven't seen this topic discussed before but does anyone check their VHF radio before going out into the open water? It would be a bad day to need it and find out the radio isn't transmitting due to corrosion.
    SeaTow has an automated radio check system that uses channel 24, 26, 27 or 28 to test your VHF radio to make sure it transmits. You simply change to one of those channels and say something like "TEST, TEST RADIO CHECK CHANNEL XXX" and if your radio is transmitting, it will replay your chatter.
    Of course, this only guarantees that SeaTows towers can receive you and not the CG's but you at least know your radio transmits.
    Here is a link to the process https://www.seatow.com/to…on/automated-radio-check
    I hope that helps.
  • There are a few races offshore (Channel Islands) where we are required to have portables on the cat. Fortunately we are able to test with each other before we go out. On local lakes the governing police unit will acknowledge a radio check on the emergence channels, as a courtesy.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • ericweller
    Here is a link to the process https://www.seatow.com/to…on/automated-radio-check
    I hope that helps.

Nice tip! Thanks. Recently I was on the water about to sail out (Island Hop) and noticed the antenae on my Icom M24 was broken and bent at a crazy angle. I did a radio check with the clubhouse and they responded so I new it was at least partly still working.

With all the stories lately about people ending up in the water without a boat I'm keeping a VHF and cell phone on me if I don't have a shore I can see on both sides.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • [quote=DamonLinkous]
    ericweller
    HRecently I was on the water about to sail out (Island Hop) and noticed the antenae on my Icom M24 was broken and bent at a crazy angle.

I would be cautious transmitting with a broken antenna. I know with CB radios, it is considered a big no-no to transmit without the antenna attached as you can potentially fry the radio (the signal has nowhere to go). I'm not an electronics expert, but this what I've been told. I imagine a VHF would be the same.

sm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.