Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sailing performance of Hobie 18 vs. 18SX  Bottom

• Hello,

I am looking to buy a 1992 Hobie 18SX and will be sailing it on Lake Michigan. I would to get some insight into how a Hobie 18 vs. 18SX sails. I know that one has wings and a taller mast, but I am interested how it affects the sailing performance. I sailed a mid 80's Hobie 18 in the past regularly at college and had a blast! I am trying to gauge if the SX will be too much "boat."

If this discussion is already posted, please direct me there.

Best regards,

Matthew
  • I will preface by saying that I have never sailed an 18sx but have lots of time on a H18. One of my 18's had
    wings as well. Looking at the Portsmouth ratings the difference between the two is negligible. If you were comfortable on the 18 you will have no trouble with the SX. I have been on the water with my 18 at the same time as an SX and did not see any noticeable difference. If it is in good shape and what you are looking for grab
    it and sail it like you stole it icon_wink

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I think very little difference I agree with above. If you are comfortable with a 18 the SX taller mast is not that big a difference. The wings however make it a great boat on Lake Michigan. I love wings on boats and you most likely will too. One downside is I have heard the original SX sails did not hold up well over time, so if original sail it might be in poor condition. The were Mylar I believe and didn't last like Dacron sails.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Thanks so much for replies. I appreciate the input.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.