Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

I think my mast halyard is backwards? (Nacra 5.0)  Bottom

• Hello All!

I am a new owner of a early 80's Nacra 5.0. While I do have sailing experience and have owned a boat before, this is my first catamaran! I stepped the mast and have everything figured out (I think) with the exception of the main halyard. My best guess is that the previous owner had it setup backwards or that im clueless. I'm hoping you can piont me towards which one it is. I will do my best to describe what im seeing while butchering the names of the hardware.

The main halyard is half steel cable and half line, the steel cable has a loop on one end and a clasp on the other. On the steel cable about a foot away from the clasp is a steel ball. The mast has a metal fork near the top on the bow side of the mast (i beleive nacra calls in the halyard lock).

Where my confustion comes in is that the clasp end of the cable comes off the bow side of the mast and the loop is on the stern side. I'm pretty sure it should be reversed so the clasp hooks on the main and then the steel ball hooks on the fork after passing through the pulleys at the top of the mast. I appreciate any insight anyone has on this matter.

Thanks!
  • Welcome greengolftee87! You are correct. The line portion of the halyard ties (bowline knot) to the what you are calling the loop which feeds down the front, bow side of the mast. The other end of the cable should have a shackle on it (which attaches to the grommet in the head plate on your mainsail) and feeds down the back, stern side of the mast. The steel ball does hook in the fork after the main is hoisted to its fully up position. Hope this helps.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Thanks so much leeboweffect! I dropped the mast, reversed the line and everything looks great (except that its in my yard and not the water)
  • You are most welcome. I'm new to the 5.0 myself.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • The 5.0 & it's bigger cousin, the 5.7 use the same system, set up as Leebow explained. There is one small difference, & it can be a PITA.
    The 5.0 uses a mast that is 2' shorter, this means the little fork you hook that swaged ball onto is closer to the masthead.
    You don't have a decent angle between the halyard & the line, & it can be problematic to get the ball into the fork, especially if you have roller furling...the hardware for that keeps the halyard further from the mast.
    IF that happens, bend the fork outwards 1/8", it may make all the difference.
    After you "hook" the sail, bring your halyard to the rear, & while keeping it against the mast, give it a yank. This will ensure the swaged ball is pulled fully into the fork, & will stay there.
    It is a major pain to have that ball pop off in rough water and/or high wind.
    Also, deadend a short piece of bungee on that eyestrap that is on the front of the mast, about 3' up from the base. Attach one of those plastic snap hooks to the other end. Once you raise the sail, snap this hook into the bowline,(or loop on end of cable). Place the loose halyard into the pouch on tramp.
    The short bungee will keep the halyard from flapping around & pulling the loose bungee out of the pocket.
    When dropping the sail, first remove the mainsheet "S" hook from sail clew, undo the bungee snaphook, then give halyard a pull, move halyard away from mast, & lower sail.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks again for the answers. I have some bungee and will get a hook to do like you said. I do have a few more questions. The jib is set up in the same manner but there's no ball so how do you tie it off after raising? There's no cleat on the mast.

Also for anyone who has tipped the 5.0, do you think id be able to right it solo. I'm 6'5" 210 lbs. I was able to do it in my yard but im sure its different in the water.
  • I can't answer with authority on the jib halyard issue.

On the righting issue, you can definitely right it by yourself at your height and weight. For an explanation of the technique refer to Rick White's "Catamaran Racing For The '90's."

http://www.murrays.com/45-0052.html

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • green....
    this is how the jib halyard was rigged on one of my Nacra 5.8s. the blocks allowed for purchase and the block at the bottom meant i could raise or tension the jib from any angle. dropping it was another issue. hope this stimulates your thinking!
    j

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119397&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • The 5.7 uses the same setup Arch posted above, the smaller 5.0 uses a simpler system. You probably have a portion of the jib halyard wire, & the rest line.
    It should travel through a wire block up near the mast hound, then down alongside the mast. You get a 2:1 from the wire block on the mast.
    There should be an aluminum clam cleat,same as shown in Arch's photo,(some had a "horn cleat) near the base of the mast. You just haul the jib up, & put line in clam cleat, or around horn. If there isn't one, there are probably holes where one used to be. Buy the clam cleat & rivet on.
    At 215 & 6'5", you can probably right it, if you can plank out completely horizontal, just off the water. It is harder in the water as the sail is wet. I can right mine solo on the lawn, but not in the water, the 5.0 is almost the same as hauling up the bigger 5.7.
    My buddy is 6'1" & around 190. He cannot solo right the 5.0 unless there is a good wind.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.