• I posted this over at Hobie. Please let me know if you have any thoughts

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…ewtopic.php?f=14&t=55330

Thanks!

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • If you think you have a leak, this plug with sealant stuffed in both ends of the mast is very effective:

http://www.murrays.com/50-20060000.html

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • You might already know this but you might get the water out of the mast before you plug it. After the mast is sealed there's probably no difference which way it is stowed while towing.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • I don't have any recommendations for the leak other than the standard submerge, look for bubbles, drain, and seal procedures.....lots of threads on the Hobie forums in that regard. I'd seriously doubt the water has caused any internal corrosion issue. May be obvious, but, for trailering, I always flip the mast so that the luff track is up. If the mast crutch padding is inadequate, the rubbing can cause damage to the aluminum part of the track (happened to me). This way there's a lot less stress on the plastic portion of the luff track on the comp tip as well.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks Rattlenhum. The luff track issue was my main concern regarding the orientation.

Does anyone have any recommendations for 'crutch padding'? I use a throwable life peserver on the back, and a cloth on the hard V in the front.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Pool noodle foam wrapped with section of car inner tube/ zip tied on inside of "V." Track down, no problem. Winch line wrapped around a few times and clipped to loop near mast step to keep mast secured tight to "V"

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • yelkenli1
    Does anyone have any recommendations for 'crutch padding'? I use a throwable life peserver on the back, and a cloth on the hard V in the front.

I use a scrap of carpet up front. A nice berber or medium shag. No preference on color.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I carry my mast track-down. The trailer crutch has rubber pads which support the sides in a sort of V configuration, and at the rear I use the Hobie thingy which doesn't seem to put any pressure on the track. I want the track down so the tie-down straps don't push on it.,

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.