Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Buying my first Cat!  Bottom

• Hey sailors!

Been living and working on boats for years, East Coast, Caribbean, and Great Lakes. Well I'm home for the summer, first time in a long time, in northern Minnesota. Itching to get back out on the water, so its time for me to buy a cat to play with for the summer.

Been searching my area for anything 16-20', seems pretty limited for choices around here. As far as cats I've only ever been on Hobie 16's, and not partial to a particular brand.

Came across a Nacra 5.8 for sale, from what I've read they seem to be great boats (never been on one). I'm going to go take a look on Saturday.

Looking for any helpful buyers advice, what to look for/expect, and what do you think about a Nacra 5.8 being first cat?

-EDIT-
    I will usually be out sailing with a friend, but I'm sure there will be days I'd like to go out alone. Is this too much boat to rig/step mast/sail solo?

Edited by barefootnate on Jun 16, 2015 - 11:28 PM.
  • There aren't many for sale right now but there are lots of cats in Minnesota of all makes. I've seen piles of them on Craig's list in the past and myself and a friend both got our Nacra 5.7s there. It appears that the 5.8 is the best boat in the area currently. Not the best boat to start on but it's doable if you will always have crew. If you can wait, keep your eyes open for a Nacra 5.0 or 5.7, otherwise you would likely be better off with a prindle 16 or a good hobie 16. Check out the ultimate catamaran buyers guide. The info is a bit dated but good.

Edited by Wolfman on Jun 16, 2015 - 11:52 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • There is a nice Super Cat 17 on Minneapolis CL. SC17 is a board less cat which you could sail single handed or double. Says the boat is in ND but owner lives in metro Minneapolis and could help get the boat back to MN.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • That sounds like a great option for you! And you don't have to dive all the way to bimiji!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for the advice!

Yep I saw that supercat 17 posted yesterday, its in Jamestown ND. I'm hesitant to drive 5 hours over there to buy it before I can look at it. Id have to commit to buying it before I even see the boat/trailer.

The reason I'm going to check out one near Bemidji its only 30 min drive and nothing to lose.

Minneapolis is a 5 hour drive from where I live, I'm definately willing to drive that far for a good boat, but the trailer also needs to be sound. Most of the trailers look like they would be good enough to and from lake, but were talking 250 miles+.

Appreciate the help!
    Still looking

Edited by barefootnate on Jun 17, 2015 - 01:51 PM.
  • The sc17 posting said that if someone was going to be driving a distance he would put new tires and repack the bearings. With that done I wouldn't hesitate to drive 250 miles with it....I've seen a lot worse going down the highway and if driving during the day who cares about lights.

Also as a newer MN resident I can advise NOT to purchase a boat 16' and over without a title because the state will not license it unless you go thru a bonding process. Also everyone always advertises "lifetime license" on the trailer but that is only to the original licensee. Regarding the trailer you will need a bill of sale on the trailer or the registration card signed over you and the bill of sale sellers name must match up with the trailer' licensee and they will verify it before registering the trailer in your name. I learned the hard way and it is a real PIA.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • I'm talking to the guy with the SuperCat 17, hoping for the best!

Thanks again
  • barefootnateI'm talking to the guy with the SuperCat 17, hoping for the best!

Thanks again

A nice looking Supercat 17 just popped up in the classifieds, but it's in Georgia.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…/p14098-supercat-17.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.