Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Boat construction and possible hull problem  Bottom

• Looking at my first cat. it is a Supercat 17 (actually an ARC 17 but I think they are the same). It is only 3 years old and i can get it for a good price.

Sails are good, no soft spots in hulls etc.

There is one possible problem. Along the port hull above the waterline there is an indentation which is maybe 4-5 inches long. It is linear and both visible and obvious to touch. it is not soft so i guess this is a good thing.

Owner says it has been there for over a year and not sure where it came from.

Anybody know if supercats have foam core, kevlar, carbon? There is no loss of gel coat integrity but it is "dented' if that is the right word.

Should I be concerned about this? Is it fixable?

I see another member has similar issue with a Nacra and he was told not a big deal.

Same on a supercat or should i pass on the boat? It is really sweet except for this indentation.
  • I'm not sure about the specific hull construction used by supercat, but generally speaking, if a composite "dents" that means that the core (foam) was likely compressed due to an impact. For example, it's not uncommon for boats to get dents on the deck where people lay on the hull with their trap harness when climbing aboard after a capsize. If there's no delamination, then typically this is not a structural concern since the inside and outside skins are still bonded to the core. I would check the area carefully for delam by doing a coin tap test. If there is some delam, it should be easily repaired by doing a little epoxy injection.

sm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.