Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

BAD Hobie 18 Rear Beam Corrosion  Bottom

• I've got such bad corrosion on my rear beam that the starboard end is in danger of breaking completely in two.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=112974&g2_serialNumber=3 http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=112968&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • looks like metal fatigue to me

if i recall those rivets hold a slug in place that the beam bolts use - i had cracks in my h18 rear beam that had to be welded. the jerk welder sanded the rivets off and never did anything about it. he returned my beam to me and the slug would just slide around
  • Then maybe the slug will provide enough support to keep it from breaking off while sailing. icon_biggrin

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailingThen maybe the slug will provide enough support to keep it from breaking off while sailing. icon_biggrin

I see absolutely nothing that is funny about this.

Damon: Need help finding a replacement? Not sure I'd trust a weld.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • I'll keep my eye's peeled for a late model 90's rear beam for ya, i'm on various classifieds daily ;) Rob Patt might have a nice one in his back yard! He has a very extensive hobie 18 parts list on CL at the moment.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I've got a couple, but they might be from 80s boats, any way to tell? Of course, I'm way off in WA.

Dave
  • Thanks Dave, I think I have a line on some new beams that are in really good shape but the owner is in the Northeast and so far the weather has kept it from happening.

It's a lot of trouble to pickup, pack, and ship something 8 feet long so I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with it while wading through snow.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteI see absolutely nothing that is funny about this.

Must be a lot of cabin fever going on....

Truth is, without knowing how many times this boat has been sailed with the spar in that condition would lead one to believe the slug has held it together. If that is the case, welding a brace would work if a riveted slug has supported it. But it appears there's plenty of replacement spars are available.
    The Hawaiians complete their spar attachments to their 40' outriggers with twine! icon_lol

Jeesh, with all the ice out there scrap those hulls and put some skates on that sled.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • MN3looks like metal fatigue to me

Agreed.
    There is some corrosion but it is minimal, happening after the fatigue opened to let the saltwater in.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Quotehere is some corrosion but it is minimal, happening after the fatigue opened to let the saltwater in.

Couldn't there be greater corrosion on the inside of the tube than what you see on the outside?

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailingCouldn't there be greater corrosion on the inside of the tube than what you see on the outside?

Good question.
    If the corrosion were greater on the inside, his crossbar would have folded already. Its kinda amazing that it has held together this long.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteIf the corrosion were greater on the inside, his crossbar would have folded already.

Not necessarily.
    Lets take it apart and get the facts.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.