Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How long until we can foil?  Bottom

• I have seen the flying phantom, wow. But now I have seen several other flying boats online. One is called the whisper, another which I believe is called an exploder, its just modified to foil I believe.

My question is do we think this technology will become available to us anytime soon. I sure hope so, 50k is just a tad out of my price range, but 10-15k seems more reasonable. Just wondering anyone else's thoughts on the matter because I am always itching to sail, but foiling looks like a lifetime achievement. Anyone else done it, or is dying to please chime in.

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • Yeah, I'm watching it with great interest as well. The whole boat needs to be designed for foils, and requires lightweight( read expensive) construction, and sophisticated rigs and foils, so I don't see them being sold inexpensively any time soon. Our best hope is that enough get purchased to keep at least one mfgr alive, and a few get passed on to us less well heeled, as used boats. '

Dave
  • One of the guys I sail with occasionally picked up an exploder A-cat. I'm not sure on the exact price, but I think it's closer to $30k.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • The key to consistent easy foiling is keeping weight as low as possible. Basically, all carbon fiber. Replacement parts are through the roof expensive. best example to go off of is the foiling moth. Those small ass boats are around 10 to 15K brand new. A foiling cat is larger and more complex. Don't hold your breath. Unless you have almost 10 grand to blow on a well used moth.
  • the tampa area is not a good foiling arena - we have seen people try on HobieTri's and Moth boats

the waters are very shallow and the grasses are prevalent

even when your not in an area of seagrass... the bottom net draggers "mow" the lawn out there in the gulf and all the clippings float in our bays

hitting patches of seagrass vertually eliminate the ability to foil, not to mention on some of these boats with L shaped boards, there is no way possible to clear a foul (grass on the blade)
  • Ahh good point, I didn't even consider the problems sea grass could cause. Guess my foiling days were doomed from the start. Good news is now I can get a Tiger with no regrets!

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.