Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Took the Hobie 18 out solo today  Bottom

• Got the marine radio, the cell phone pouch, the righting bucket system, a tether to keep me on the boat, and launched from mast up storage to save me the trouble of having to step the mast.

The day was a good day to experiment. The swells outside of the Santa Cruz harbor were small. The wind was under 10 kts.

All in all, it gave me a good chance to solo in favorable conditions. The biggest thing that I learned is to make sure that you really have done absolutely everything you can on dry land before put the boat in the water. I forgot to take the sock off the jib and it was inconvenient to do it from the dock.

Bob
  • Took the P19 out of Ventura solo Saturday and flipped. Just having too much fun taking chances and paid the price. At least the waters still warm.

Yes when you're on your own, making sure everything is right becomes critically important since there's no crew onboard to futz around with something. I flipped solo last year deploying the spinnaker, partly because it wasn't prepped at the dock sufficiently.
  • [quote=spfx]Took the P19 out of Ventura solo Saturday and flipped. Just having too much fun taking chances and paid the price. At least the waters still warm.

Im sorry I missed that day.

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.