Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cell phone app for GPS tracking/mapping?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• The one I use most and have had the longest is Motion X GPS. It does no good for Android users, but since we're on the subject... It has many nice features, but will drain my battery in less than 5 hrs as long as I'm not looking at it often.
    One feature it doesn't have is knowing your speed throughout your track as you review it on a map. I more recently discovered Speed Tracker and its available for all makes of smartphones free version too ( I can speak for $3.99 version only). It will display a color range you define as it plots your track. I usually export via email, but it may have other options as well as format type. I believe map choices are limited to street and there's no option to download maps, meaning you need to stay data connected to your provider eating more battery.
    Battery life- Smartphones have so much going on at any given time they cannot outlast handheld dedicated GPS units even if you shutdown power draining sources IMHO. Two AA alkaline batts have more capacity than my iPhone 5S by a large margin. A larger format phone should last an entire 8-10hr day I'm guessing.

Features to consider:
    - nautical chart ability
    - download and cache map of operating area
    - speed information viewed graphically on mapped tracks
    - exporting ease and format
    - a setting for interval tracking at some selectable time interval would save a huge amount of battery
    - nautical units of measure
    - top speed, avg speed, etc.
    - audible updates of selectable info
    - VMG, time to waypoint,waypoint heading, layline
    - features to conserve power

Apologies for getting off your intended question.

Edited by spfx on Jan 05, 2015 - 10:19 PM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.