Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cell phone app for GPS tracking/mapping?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I have a really old handheld GPS unit and would prefer not to take it on the boat because it is just one more thing that I need to worry about. I'm looking at using either my smart phone or my ham radio to record my path when I go out for a sail. My cell phone would be the most convenient of the two devices. The radio is fantastic, but getting data back out of it is more cumbersome.

Is anybody using an Android phone to record their track for the day? If so, what app are you using?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • http://www.raceqs.com/
  • The problem is the battery duration with the GPS on. It will work maybe for half an hour, but you also want your phone for safety.
  • The other problem is that you can't really manipulate it if from the wire. I have troubles even to watch the speed
  • Not interested in manipulating while on the water. I was just interested in getting tracking data that I can look at after the fact. Not sure how much battery the GPS uses on its own. I know running a GPS app eats up battery, but part of that is due to the fact that it keeps the screen on.

For now, I think I'll just collect GPS data in my ham radio and download to my computer when I get home. The ham radio is less of a safety tool although it would be 3rd after the marine radio and the cell phone if I got into trouble.
  • For just recording your track, RaceQs works very well. The best thing is that it matches your tracks with others recorded at the same time and location, so you can have race replays, etc.

The best part is that it uses very little battery power. I'm able to turn it on before I leave the beach and it is still recording when I get back, some 6 hours later. It then automatically uploads the data to the server the next time your connected to wifi.

If you want to watch your spead while you sail I like the Speed puck the best, since I can mount it under the bridle wire/forestay and watch my spead as I also watch my jib, bridle vain, and where i'm going.
  • It's nice to monitor your speed, that's the manipulation I mean, just grabbing the phone to watch the screen. Theoretically you can see the effects of your adjustments so you can learn to better sail your boat. After using iRegatta a few times, I realized that real time speed is the most interesting to me. Angle to the wind too, but it's better to watch that later on your track records. On the water the app can figure out the wind direction as the average between tacks, but it's not reliable, wind is not constant enough and if you want to adjust it often you end up caring more about the app than sailing.. like wassap versus real life..
    So in my experience:
    - Phone in a case hanging from your neck sucks, totally useless if you are on the wire. If your crew can take it and tell you the speed from time to time it's better than nothing, but in general it defies simplicity, it's just one more thing to worry about.
    - Phone in your tramp bag recording your tracks for a while, could be, every once in a while. Doing it every time also defies simplicity. Just remember to turn the app off before it eats all the battery. Or have a second emergency phone on the tramp bag or with you.
    - A watch that can show the speed, sounds like a good idea to me. Haven't found the budget yet. I think they can record tracks too. That's all you really need, isn't it? A more sophisticated use could be nice but the required conditions are non realistic: you need a reliable wind direction estimation that doesn't require you to sail for the app rather than for fun. They might be useful for longer navigation, but you would need a car battery.. They also have regatta features, and info, like laylines, estimated time to start line, etc., but you either sail the boat or manipulate the app.. if you can see the screen at all despite sunlight and water.
  • http://gps.motionx.com/ works great
    i used if for years

now all my battery is needed to broadcast bluetooth to my EcoXGear EcoXBT radio
  • MN3http://gps.motionx.com/ works great
    i used if for years

now all my battery is needed to broadcast bluetooth to my EcoXGear EcoXBT radio

Curious why MotionX app would save on battery? you still need to have GPS radio on your phone turned on to get signal...
    Also wondering what your battery life time is with bluetooth transmitting to your ecogear box. I have been looing at the GoalZero rockout2 box that's also solar rechargeable....but maybe not as waterproof.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • MotionX is for iPhone. That doesn't help me because I have an Android phone.

Forgive me for being an engineer, but it seems to me that a GPS radio on its own shouldn't be a huge drain on the battery. I have an old handheld hiking GPS that runs a very long time on 2 AA batteries. I have a ham radio that has a GPS and broadcasts my location to the amateur radio APRS network. Neither one seems to suffer from receiving GPS signals from satellites.

Transmitting radios such as wifi, bluetooth and cellular protocols will use up battery. The backlight on the screen will use tons of battery. The CPU if very busy will eat up battery.

So, if the app is trying to transmit the data or display real-time maps on the screen, then I can understand how the battery will be consumed. I was just hoping that somebody offered a data logger that would allow me to access the information after I got back to dry land.
  • gps used up loads of battery on my iphone when i used it - but no where's near as much as my bluetooth radio
  • QuoteForgive me for being an engineer, but it seems to me that a GPS radio on its own shouldn't be a huge drain on the battery.

Correct, GPS is a passive, receive only device,(R only is a huge advantage because it means unlimited numbers of simultaneous users, with no loss of signal).
    However 2 AA cells are quite a bit bigger than most phone batteries, therefore the phone suffers.
    I looked into various phone options, & decided that a Garmin 76CX, (that included a removable non device locked chip with all the marine charts for the Great Lakes), for a measly $150 on sale, was a way better idea than my phone. It runs about 16hrs on 2 AA, can store 99 trips, & can overlay them on Google Earth.
    I can also use it on the Stinkpots.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • ramstadtI have a really old handheld GPS unit and would prefer not to take it on the boat because it is just one more thing that I need to worry about.

Thanks,
    Bob

I don't see how a GPS is going to get in the way or be something to worry about..... I just put mine in a double zip lock freezer bag, turn it on, set to track, and then stow it in my tramp bag..... When I get back on shore I just retrieve it and load the track to my computer when I get home... Been doing this with the same GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 96C) for years, have never had a problem, and the batteries are pretty cheap...

Edchris177 It runs about 16hrs on 2 AA, can store 99 trips, & can overlay them on Google Earth.
    I can also use it on the Stinkpots.

I have often wanted to do this, but never took the time to figure it it out....

Can you give us briefing or point me to where I can learn how to do this?

Thanks

Edited by JohnES on Nov 10, 2014 - 04:10 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • ramstadtMotionX is for iPhone. That doesn't help me because I have an Android phone.
    I was just hoping that somebody offered a data logger that would allow me to access the information after I got back to dry land.

Late in this season I downloaded " The FastTrack " its a free app available
    in playstore.
    Its a complete app for android, build for navigation/racing, has a timer. and so
    many more features including a tracker. If you have micro-sd slot on you're
    device there's even the possibility to download maps and navigate on
    the android device.

Used it on my last sailing-trip, its great! But its almost winter here so no
    more testing.
    So I downloaded some charts and tested it in my car, its very promising .

Here's a link https://play.google.com/s…autka.thefasttrack&hl=nl
    And here's a link to the developpers website. http://nautkaapps.wordpress.com

I'm planning to do some longer(camping) trips next summer.
    Thinking of using this app on a 10" android tablet and put it in
    a waterproof bag together with a couple of usb power banks .

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • ramstadtMotionX is for iPhone. That doesn't help me because I have an Android phone.
    I was just hoping that somebody offered a data logger that would allow me to access the information after I got back to dry land.

Late in this season I downloaded " The FastTrack " its a free app available
    in playstore.
    Its a complete app for android, build for navigation/racing, has a timer. and so
    many more features including a tracker. If you have micro-sd slot on you're
    device there's even the possibility to download maps and navigate on
    the android device.

Used it on my last sailing-trip, its great! But its almost winter here so no
    more testing.
    So I downloaded some charts and tested it in my car, its very promising .

Here's a link https://play.google.com/s…autka.thefasttrack&hl=nl
    And here's a link to the developpers website. http://nautkaapps.wordpress.com

I'm planning to do some longer(camping) trips next summer.
    Thinking of using this app on a 10" android tablet and put it in
    a waterproof bag together with a couple of usb power banks .

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • Twice?? don't know how I did this icon_frown icon_frown icon_frown

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • Thanks. I'll take a look. Winter is not as severe here. So, there will be some days of sailing through the winter. There could be more if I go out and buy some warmer gear.

Edited by ramstadt on Nov 12, 2014 - 09:03 AM.
  • Try an app called EarthNC. Makes your phone like a little chart plotter. Probably not what you want to be staring at while driving the cat, but I've used it on a variety of boats like my F-27. Means you can a device in hand to take pics and video and check your progress/position/speed/direction etc.
  • Had a look at EarthNC and it looks very promising, but is not a free app.
    Also had a look at the reviews on this app, it seems it sometimes
    "freezes" since the latest update and does not work on all android
    devices.
    Will do a little investigation if nooa charts are suitable for the FastTrack
    app.
    These charts are free to download, but only cover the US.
    So, not for me. Edit. I mean the nooa charts.

André

kbcatmanTry an app called EarthNC. Makes your phone like a little chart plotter. Probably not what you want to be staring at while driving the cat, but I've used it on a variety of boats like my F-27. Means you can a device in hand to take pics and video and check your progress/position/speed/direction etc.

Edited by catmodding on Jan 05, 2015 - 03:03 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • I haven't experienced any issues with it at all. I have a Samsung s III on 4.4.2.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.