Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Key West to the Dry Tortugas  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• I used flipkey.com but also did notice that it gets cheaper the farther one gets from Key West(Old Town).

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • How about making home base another key, with a day ( couple hour ) visit in key west before the tortugas? Looks like most of us are gonna pull a boat 2+ days each way and spring break is going to double if not triple the daily lodging costs in Key West :( ........... Summerland key? Marathon?
    Maybe the following weekend? Can we get a head count and just rent a house for a week and split it - usually cheaper and after boat setups get a large taxi to drop us off at beach/launch area? I'm just thinking out loud at this point, I have to make a lot of things happen between now and then to make a smooth time off work ;)

Thinking about towing behind/under my H20 a small float boat/kayak with extra supplies ect and use it to noodle around for us once the cats are beached!

The true financial win is going to be the time on the boats sailing in the keys, not the crash time sleeping in a $259 a night two star hotel with drunk teens hahaha.

We should try hard to resist a drag race, boats disappear out of sight quickly on the open ocean, even with a support boat there's a chance for things to get scary, I'm ready to sail moderately fast but I'll slow down ( or fly hull fast ) to keep the group together. I'd love to see the Nacras and anyone else join in!
    The reports historically of wind/weather conditions for the dates of sailing look very very safe and good.

Perhaps an ideal plan A, a backup plan B and a no fail total blast fun inland key sail with us all : C

Edited by fxloop on Nov 25, 2014 - 01:27 AM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I have booked a room for my son and I on Key West but did notice it is cheeper the farther you get from Old Town Key West.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • Plan A: would like to gather on Smathers beach Key West Sunday noon(ish) 03/15/15. Discuss wind and weather and prepare to sail early AM Monday for the Dry Tortugas. This will allow us to take full advantage of the week. I am wide open to other plans if there is not an acceptable window and we do need an solid Plan B. And yes for saftey issues it would be nice to stay together at least in sight.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • I mentioned eailier that there was 2 Hobie 16's but both of them has dropped out. At this time looks like we have 7 cats and it is still to early to to determine the number. The more the better.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • Are there any boats that need a crew member? I have my own nacra 5.2 but it would be a pita towing it down there and back. I still might bring it but if there is someone that is looking for someone to split costs and help keep the cat pointing up let me know! #180 lbs and in shape.
  • I'm interested but I have a H16 and have concerns about the return trip (likely 12+ hours of tacking) as well as the support. Bigger boat, like a 21, not so worried. At the moment I'm probably more interested in a downhill run from Largo to Key West, plus maybe a trip out to the Marquesas Keys or at least Boca Grande.

One option would be to launch at Key Largo and leave cars there, then go get them when the sailing is done. In that case, what kind of camping have you found in Key West, and where can we keep a boat without a trailer overnight?

Also, is there any overnight camping on nearby islands? As far as I can tell everything from Mule Key to the Marquesas are in the protected zone. Does it count as camping if you beach the boat and sleep on the tramp? :)
  • I picked this post up from the Hobie website - not sure if you all are following BOTH forum threads on both sites but any information concerning beachcats sailing offshore in open water are serious. This was what was just posted, not my post but it does raise questions we should all consider. If doing mostly inshore island hopping in the keys I'd be willing to take on one more crew on my Hobie miracle 20. It does have hobie magnum wings installed and the jib rigging simplified to a 2 way system to allow for better seating, more tramp realestate and backrests.......

Im on board with the BIG sail plan, but everything I'm reading points to the Largo to key west with some day sail offshore runs from key west sounding like a good plan B - especially if it kicks in more boats!

"
    QuoteThought I had posted on this must have forgot to hit enter

Well well well here we go again on a long offshore Hobie trip. The great Key West to Fort Jefferson (Dry Tortugas) and hopefully back again. I have sailed and motored this area many times. This is not a good idea. One of the posts stated that it is only 75 miles which is true however unless the wind is perfect a tack or two or 50 tacks will slow the boats down quite a bit. There is a strong current that must be accounted for also the weather is not very predictable. There is not a whole bunch of daylight in the early spring and getting caught sailing at night would be no fun. There are many many coral heads just below the surface.

I have noticed that most of the boats interested are Hobie 16's which is a great boat but not intended for this kind of sailing. The mighty Hobie 21 is a better choice. The hobie 16 is much slower than the 21 on any point of sail the 21 will carry heavy loads. A tent food and water supplies will slow a 16 down a lot.
    I have sailed around Key West- Rigged the boat on Smathers Beach-Sailed to Sand Key and most of the close islands and would never think of sailing to the Dry Tortugas.

This is my experience on going to the Dry Tortugas. Spend weeks waiting for weather to be good not perfect. Stocking the boat with food water clothes ice coolers life jackets vhf radio strobe safety lights. Good Gps and backup VHF and backup gps and current paper chart. anchor and adequate rope tool kit spare parts on critical stuff.
    Started the trip a 06:30 and got home @ 7:30 pm sore and sunburned.
    This was on my Hydra Sports 24 foot center console with a 250 hp motor going straight line at 35 mph or faster.

It would be fun sailing near Key West
    Captains consider safety of crew and vessel carefully

Former Hobie Cat Admiral Gary
    Hobie 21 SE Stars and Stripes
    Hobie 16 (I have a two)
    Hobie 14 and a 14 turbo in distant past
    Four time winner and current champion of the Key West to Cuba Race "

Edited by fxloop on Nov 27, 2014 - 04:00 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • If we do the Largo-KW ride, it may not even be during Spring Break. Camaraderie aside, there's no need for support or for paying Spring Break prices. So I suppose there are a few separate ideas being floated around. 1) the DT trip, which I haven't ruled in or out but I have concerns about, 2) a group trip within the keys during Spring Break, and 3) something I do on my own. I can keep compiling information for 2 and 3.

From here: http://www.keyshistory.org/MileMarkerChart.html

Largo is around 100 miles from Key West. If you put in farther away, access seems to be harder and you need to navigate some channels. For instance I got to thinking that we could actually sail from Fort Lauderdale, across Biscayne Bay, and down the ICW. It's possible; I just don't know if it would be fun or worth the time if we could be in the lower keys instead.

MM 67 Long Key State Park - http://www.floridastateparks.org/longkey/
    MM 56 - Curry Hammock State Park - http://www.floridastateparks.org/CurryHammock/
    MM 37 - Bahia Honda State Park - http://bahiahondapark.com/
    MM 20 - Sugarloaf Key KOA - http://koa.com/campgrounds/sugarloaf-key

For campers, that covers any kind of 2~4-day trip from Largo. I haven't contacted these parks yet to see if there's a problem arriving by beach cat but I will. There may also be other commercial campgrounds that are closer to bars or restaurants. With the right following wind maybe one day is possible?

Don't know about KW itself. Here's the Community Sailing Center: http://keywestsailingcenter.com

Edited by antonlargiader on Nov 28, 2014 - 12:49 PM.
  • Sunburn will be your biggest problem. For my Mexican sailing I have a 6' x 7' piece of nylon with grommets on the edges. This works for Tornado & Prindles with loose footed boom as it lies over the boom and ties off to shroud & trap wires (tape the wires so string stays in place) so you're sailing under a shade canopy. With good music & chocolate chip cookies it's tough to beat! Pete
  • There is back county camping on Nest key.http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm.
    This is an incredible place to sail. One of the few native islands you can camp in the Florida bay.
    http://www.stayadventurou…ional-parks-florida-key/
  • Just curious at this time who is seriously considering this trip from Key West to the Dry Tortuga's? I would like to get a count so far. It may work out that I will be in the area on Saturday PM 03/14/15 which gives us extra prep time for a departure on Monday very early depending on wind and weather of course. We are still working on a several chase boat possibilities.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • My plan is to still meet with other participants on Smather's beach Sunday at noon 03/15/15 to evaluate the real time situation.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • I'm in for sure. I've already been approved off time at work. As the date nears and the weather situation pans out with a pretty solid forecast I'll be good for Dry Tortugas. If the risk/wind looks bad I'll do a upper to mid keys sail. Key west is a loooooong drive from Memphis.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • Hey "joejedy", I'm working on a crew member for you but do not have anyone solid yet. Sure would be great to have a second 5.2!

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • Still wondering who is considering a possible SUPER SAILING EXPERIENCE? Looks like "fixloop" "Bill40421e" and "jwishart" are strong yes's. Please let me know! Plan A is Dry Tortugas and plan B is the upper, mid or lower keys. Still want to meet at Key West on Sunday 03/15/15 around noon to kick wind/risks.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • pbegleSunburn will be your biggest problem. For my Mexican sailing I have a 6' x 7' piece of nylon with grommets on the edges. This works for Tornado & Prindles with loose footed boom as it lies over the boom and ties off to shroud & trap wires (tape the wires so string stays in place) so you're sailing under a shade canopy. With good music & chocolate chip cookies it's tough to beat! Pete

Would love to see a pic of this...

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I unfortunately cannot make it. BUT a sailing event like this is extremely enticing, were it to be held again in the future I would do everything I could to make it.
  • I totaled my tow vehicle and can not make this trip.... icon_eek icon_eek

Two boats headed down from Indiana this week and hopefully they are ready and all well rested from the grueling drive...I hope the wind and weather is nice.

Keep us in the loop on your progress and the have the best of times.... icon_cool

I should have a different tow vehicle in May just as the season get into full swing here in Southern Indiana.
    We are planning a small party in early May at our regular hangout...Paynetown State Park.... icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • How did this go?

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.