Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Key West to Dry Tortugas  Bottom

• My buddy Jan is putting together a long distance trip...Key West to the Dry Tortugas starting the week of March 15th.

Sounds like fun!

Any sane sailors interested? icon_eek

My usual sailing buddies Lance and Bianaca , jump right on it. So we will be on my 21SE.

Looks like 4 boats are already in to this adventure.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I guess this means you are going to keep the 21 for a while? icon_biggrin
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…nc=viewtopic&topic=15292

How far to the Dry Tortugas landing from where you would launch? I don't think there is much on the Islands, is it allowed to camp overnight?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Jan talked with the man in charge on the island today and there are a few group camp sites and an overflow field that is available. The distance is around 70 miles from the club in Key West. We want to camp there for two or three days depending on wind and than return to Key West. I may extend my stay in Florida with a follow up trip back to Caya Costa if I can swing it. I am working on a support boat to join in the fun once I find his number..........

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I've always wanted to do this, having several friends do it on monos. Scheduling that date is my biggest obstacle. Is the date in concrete? If the schedule can be worked out, I would likely bring a couple of boats. It's a long drive.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I just go with the flow as far as the schedule...it's Jan party, so he has worked out what works for him and his family. I take vacations when I am I can and always lean towards salt water adventures. This is because I live in southern Indiana and we have a rather short season...even though I have sailed every month of the year in Indiana...back in my crazier days , I don't mind a 12 to 16 hour drive to Florida for a week of Gulf sailing. This Key West trip is more like a 24 hour drive so a two day drive there and twos days back for this old man....so I need to spend more like two weeks down there to really make it appealing. icon_cool

I will have Jan post on this site all the details he has put together....

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Yep it is a long drive. From Indy I'm thinking 22 Hours. But if wind and weather are fair to good it will be a "mega" reward. I love the chase boat plan as well. This is a bucket list trip for me and "off the scale" excited! I am still putting together plans but should have a good idea in the next few days.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • I have a restored NACRA 5.2 and there is one Hobie 16 100% in so far. There could be a hobie 20, a couple more hobie 16's and a hobie 18 as well.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • I did try to post the trip under events. I plan on leaving Indianapolis on 03/14/15 and arriving in Key West Sunday noon. Trying to work out where to launch, possibly the Key West Community Sailing Club if they will allow it. Yes I realize its a tight schedule but my son only has one week of spring break. He is flying in to Indy late 03/13/15 from Arizona (U of A) and must be back in Indy by Sunday noon 03/22/15 to fly out later that day.

Edited by jwishart on Oct 30, 2014 - 10:49 PM.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • The plan is that we will set sail for the Dry Tortugas from Key West very early Monday 03/16/15 (wind and weather permitting) and must be able to make land fall by dusk. I would recommend you check out the Dry Tortugas web site for camping info. Remember that this will be primitive camping and there is no stores, no food, no water and no tiki bar, so you will have to bring your own(that's why its called The "Dry" Tortugas). We plan on staying two nights and returning Wed 03/18/15 to Key West. Also remember that it is during Spring Break so you will need to book accommodations early if you plan on staying in Key West for the rest of the week. I will be heading back to Indy early Sat 03/21/15.

Edited by jwishart on Oct 30, 2014 - 10:51 PM.

--
    Jan Wishart
    NACRA 5.2
    J24 #4305
    --
  • I posted this under EVENTS as well.............................................................

I'm in, with crew. From Memphis TN - hopefully I can talk Damon into going as well! I have a nice 6 person pop-up camper with great AC and a fridge if I could only find a way to get that AND my hobie 20 down there. icon_confused
    Weather conditions here:

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30220/3/Key-West-Florida-United-States

Watching this post over on the hobie forums as well............ would be stellar to get a dozen beachcats on board for the adventure. I lived in Key West for several years, unless there's a storm the water is pretty calm and shallow, shouldn't be an issue for guys on 16'-17' boats if they're good sailors.

Doug!!??? Where are you at??!?

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.