Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is your boat insured?  Bottom

• Just curious, if it is worth it to insure a beach cat. It is my understanding that the auto policy covers the boat while under tow on the road. Coverage for the actual boat covers liability and damage on the water. Not sure its really necessary?

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • motivatedJust curious, if it is worth it to insure a beach cat.

YES

Even if you don't care about the loss of your boat or damage to yourself, you should make sure you can cover damage to others and to their property. So at least liability insurance unless your are filthy rich and can pay out of pocket for any kind of damage or liability you might ever have.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Definitely get liability....it will be cheap.....like $50 a year. And your boat is nice so I'd go with full coverage. Mine is ~ $175 a year ($1000 deductible) and covers racing.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • In todays culture of suit happy plaintiffs and we don't get paid until you do lawyers, the smart move is to carry at least liability. The tort laws in this country definitely need to be revised to more modern times. Negligence is easy to prove and all it takes is a minimal hint of negligence and "your goose is cooked." $100K worths of insurance is dirt cheep. For that matter, for a slight bit more money comprehensive is also easily affordable. "Don't leave home without it."
  • Usually you can make the liability on your boat a rider on your homeowner's or renter's policy.
    Mine is $120 per year.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Make sure you are covered when RACING!

and make sure it is covered when trailering, when parked on others property, and if full coverage, get replacement cost. Anybody try to buy a N20 mast lately? It's cheaper to buy another boat.

Insurance is dirt cheap.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I got insurance for my boat this year. I played around with the deductibles and it turned out to not cost more than a couple dollars more to drop the deductible down to $100. I'll be glad I did that if something ever happens and I only have to pay $100 out of pocket.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • who do you insure with?
    I had allstate at 350 year for liability and collision but dropped it this year

PS my home policy ONLY pays 1000 if the boat is stolen/destroyed
  • I have State Farm. $138 premium, $100 deductible. Agreed upon value of $6000 for the boat and $1200 for the trailer. $500,000 liability and $5000 personal injury.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Also, State Farm does cover sailboat racing. It's written specifically in their paperwork.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • thanks for the info
    what state are you in? (i'm sure it has some effect on the cost. Fl has the most boats per capita, and no licence required)
  • I'm in Indiana. Also to note, the insurance covers me in the US and in coastal waters. So I can take the boat anywhere. They did ask where it is normally stored/moored.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Most boating insurance policies cover racing as long as no motors are involved. You can also cover a boat based on an agreed cash value until it is 25 years old. After that they go by some other value similar to KBB.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • Overhere, in Europe I have liability, but its only for inshore, lakes etc
    € 52,00
    For racing I have a separate insurance, 12 miles coastal and
    € 2000.000,00 coverage.
    Thats € 70,00

When the T is finished, I'm gonna reconsider the situation.

André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.