Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Finally sailed my P16 in reasonable air - observations and repair questions :)  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• MN3i forgot to mention this part....

step 1 is set the anchor

Wait - WHAT?!! An ANCHOR? You put anchors on 16' cats?

--
    Mike
    Prindle 16
    Rochester, NY
    --
  • No anchor for me, I am sailing in 600 feet of water. I was thinking a sea anchor though, only need a short line & it folds up nice when not in use.

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • Whew, that makes more sense! I knew it could not be a regular anchor! Loop the line for that around the base of the mast, then?

--
    Mike
    Prindle 16
    Rochester, NY
    --
  • My righting line goes down through a grommet, figure 8 above, clove hitch on the dolphin striker, I would use that I think. I have used it for a tow.

--
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • an anchor is most certainly on my boat in EVERY occasion unless i am racing (and i hate racing so that is rare)

what would you do if you want/need to stop to help rescue another boater in need that involved leaving your boat (i.e. rescuing someone drowning or a flipped boat that was being pushed into a seawall) ?

what would you do in heavy air if you flip and the current is taking you for a ride out to a storm (or out the pass of a bay into rough seas)?

what would you do if your crew gets hit in the head with a boom (or other) falls overboard and you need to jump off the save their life?

what would you do if you want to stop and have lunch on an island but don't want to drag your boat up a rocky shoreline?

YES carry an anchor on a 16' boat. or a sea anchor at the very least.....
    I can't tell you how many stories of boats/crew getting seperated in heavy air after a capsize cause the boat on it's side is pushed away (from the wind) much faster than you can swim

mgoltsman
    MN3i forgot to mention this part....
    step 1 is set the anchor

Wait - WHAT?!! An ANCHOR? You put anchors on 16' cats?
  • QuoteWhew, that makes more sense! I knew it could not be a regular anchor! Loop the line for that around the base of the mast, then?

this works for a righting line, but it not optimal for a tow/anchor line

you should make a bridal that makes a "Y"

I attach mine at the bow tangs and store it in my front tramp (went into my regular tramp pocket before i had a front tramp)
  • So how much line do you have for the anchor? I am sure it does not have to be anything heavy, but still, a 100' of line will take up quite a bit of space. And how big an anchor - something small I presume? Any specific way to tie it to the boat - hook it under the tramp laces? One of the annoying things I am finding about a cat is that the tramp is not a good way to stow much of anything.

Hey, here's a question - if you need to navigate a channel maybe 200' long, or something like that - can you use the anchor for navigation? Toss it thirty feet forward and pull the boat up, then toss it again and pull the boat another 30'? I found that I was not good enough to paddle alone against the wind, even with jib uncleated and the main dropped - got pushed back into the channel and ended up needing a tow out to open water.

--
    Mike
    Prindle 16
    Rochester, NY
    --
  • QuoteSo how much line do you have for the anchor? I am sure it does not have to be anything heavy, but still, a 100' of line will take up quite a bit of space. And how big an anchor - something small I presume?

I have about 30' of stretch nylon anchor line (i can tie a loop in it to use less rode) that is attached to about 4' of steel chain which is attached to a Fortress #7 danfort alum anchor. this is a decent amont of line for the very shallow waters i sail in but isn't enough in a real blow

QuoteAny specific way to tie it to the boat - hook it under the tramp laces? One of the annoying things I am finding about a cat is that the tramp is not a good way to stow much of anything.

smaller anchors can usually fit in the tramp pocket of most small boats but they hog up all the room and eventually rip the pocket out - i would secure a permanent bridal to the bow tangs and store the anchor somewhere/anywhere close to the mast. use good line to secure it (not bungies as they all eventually fail and you really don't want to accidental drop an anchor .... ever)

I used to carry mine in a ... lol ... small travel carry-on bag that was lashed to my h16 front beam. It protected my crew / self and boat from the perils of having a pointy / dangerous piece of metal on deck and made it pretty easy to stow/use. It lasted a season or 2. I now have a anchor pocket sown into the top of my front tramp

Quote- can you use the anchor for navigation? Toss it thirty feet forward and pull the boat up, then toss it again and pull the boat another 30'

Yes it a method called "kedging" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kedge
  • So... 600 feet of water avg. Steep rock vertical from the water...some areas are shallow eough to throw the anchor, most don't. Google maps Shuswap Lake BC.
    Hence the sea anchor.
    I like your idea of the bridal, there are folding anchors as well.
    Great stuff guys.

--
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • simple, just carry 601 foot of anchor line!

just kidding, obviously an anchor wont work in 600' on a small cat, BUT if there are shallow areas, it still may be a piece of safety equip

folding anchors are not optimal (at least around here)
    in a real blow they can give (release) much easier than most solid anchors (have seen a guy with a h17 break free several times without wind shifts)

kernunnosSo... 600 feet of water avg. Steep rock vertical from the water...some areas are shallow eough to throw the anchor, most don't. Google maps Shuswap Lake BC.
    Hence the sea anchor.
    I like your idea of the bridal, there are folding anchors as well.
    Great stuff guys.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.