Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Vacation Ideas  Bottom

• Okay people, I need your help because Google is not doing me much good. It will be our 25th anniversary next June. When we married, we honeymooned in Aruba and windsurfed ourselves to death. Well, we are thinking of something similar for our 25th, but this time on a beachcat. Where should we be considering a trip? Are rentals of boats other than a hobie wave even an option? Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • Hi Pete, Have a P-16 on the beach at the city center in La Paz, capital of Baja Ca. Sur & 2 hours across peninsula from Cabo San Lucas. Whale sharks are just 2 miles away (though they may be gone in June) and Isla Espirito Santos, a heritage site, 15 miles away (swim with sea lions). June winds may be light although morning couremel is usually 10-15 for couple hours. Of course winter is better. When you discover "ratones" at Lily's panderia, you'll be back for more. Pete
  • La Paz is a really great spot. Its been a long time since I have been down there but I really enjoyed it.

Is the catamaran at the city center for rent? If so...do they take reservations?

--
    Geno Hacker
    Lake Isabella, California
    Supercat 20, 1/2 of a B-Lion, H18, P16, H14
    --
  • It would be for rent Jan-Apr. Yes, we'll take reservations. Pete
  • peterk123Okay people, I need your help because Google is not doing me much good. It will be our 25th anniversary next June. When we married, we honeymooned in Aruba and windsurfed ourselves to death. Well, we are thinking of something similar for our 25th, but this time on a beachcat. Where should we be considering a trip? Are rentals of boats other than a hobie wave even an option? Pete

It may not be exotic enough for the wife, but if you don't want to leave the country then the Florida gulf coast has some beautiful beaches. In Pensacola Beach stay at the Hilton or Margaritaville on the beach and rent a catamaran for the week from Key Sailing. They have Getaways for sure but since you are experienced you can probably talk Kirk into something a little more challenging. The perfect white sand and protected waters are about as good as it gets.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • there are rental g-cats in long boat key florida - i was there in may and it was absolute heaven like

my friend has a time share there but he has a dozen friends fly down for the week and stay at the Diplomat
    http://www.diplomatresort.net/

He drives his gcat down from clearwater (tampa) and leaves it on the beach at the diplomat all week.

http://www.diplomatresort.net/wp-content/themes/Diplomat/images/pagenossbanner.jpg
  • http://cypressmooninn.com/index.htm
    Very beach cat friendly.

Edited by gahamby on Aug 22, 2014 - 09:10 AM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • If you really want to do it right.
    http://www.beyc.com
  • beachsailorIf you really want to do it right.
    http://www.beyc.com

+1
    Better yet, charter a bareboat for a week and hit all the hot spots and moorage one night at the Bitter End. Been there and done it. It's a bucket list item.

--
    Philip
    --
  • What's wrong with going back to Aruba? Clear water and consistent winds don't get much better. Good food, reasonable prices. I was just there a month ago. Aruba Watersport Center rents Waves (they call them Hobie 14's) and Getaways (they call them Hobie 16's) I rented a Getaway for an hour. It was my first time on a getaway, but the only time I had two hulls in the water was coming and going off the beach. The good thing about the wave and getaway is you sail in heavy wind and just spill air without making it scary for whoever is with you. I'm saying the wind level makes these boats fun, if you know what your doing. Winds were like 18 knots and steady. This place is right by the Occidental Hotel and alot of other nice hotels close by and very nice people, they do all the scuba cruises and other rentals out of there as well. A great place if you just want to relax and go for an occasional scream on the water. I'm going back in November and I'll probably rent a getaway again (only both w/jib)for an hour 2-3 times over the course of 5 days. It was like $75 an hour. They have some privately owned darts and a few plastic (not rotomolded) tornados that are not available for rental. :( Most of the Windsurfing is on the southern side of the island. That would be my vote and Southwest flys there now.
  • Aruba is certainly an option. I was looking into Lake Garda in Italy. There are definitely some rental opportunities for cats there and I suspect that is one hell of a place for a vacation. France is probably another great option, but I have not looked into it yet.

I also thought of something closer like Lake Champlain and Winnipesaukee here in New England. That way I could sail our boat. The only issue with this is I cannot find a "sailing community of cat sailors". The nice thing when we did Aruba was that we were in a windsurfing community. That really added to the fun and experience. Nothing like a fire and some beers at night, sharing war stories about the day.

It is amazing what a limited community sailing, and more importantly cat sailing, is here in the U.S. I bet I could find a jet ski place in a nano second.

My wife thought of an interesting idea....delay the anniversary until the Americas Cup and go watch it.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.