Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

anywhere to beach in Ventura area  Bottom

• Hello. I am just getting back in to sailing and I am wandering if there are any beaches in the Ventura or Santa Barbara area that are beachcat friendly. Thanks for any info.
    Duane

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • Duane,

There is Leadbetter beach in Santa Barbara.. It is right next to the harbor in front of SBCC

As for Ventura, we have mast up storage and the launch ramp in the harbor....

Do you have a Yellow Prindle????

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Yep thats me.are you the one I talked to with the vanagon
    im looking for a beach that I can take my kids for the day and go sailing.
    is the beach is SB that you are talking about the strip of sand as you leave the harbor?

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • There is also a beach in the Ventura Harbor that has an area sectioned off for swimmers and right next to it is an area you can beach your cat. If you launch at the Ventura Harbor ramp and sail toward the breakwater it's on your left as you come around the corner. You can get to the beach parking lot at the end of Spinnker Drive. It's an easy place to sail in and out of for a nice beach day.

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • ohmsjThere is also a beach in the Ventura Harbor that has an area sectioned off for swimmers and right next to it is an area you can beach your cat. If you launch at the Ventura Harbor ramp and sail toward the breakwater it's on your left as you come around the corner. You can get to the beach parking lot at the end of Spinnker Drive. It's an easy place to sail in and out of for a nice beach day.

I asked the harbor masters about that beach and they told me I couldn't beach there.

Have you beached there before?

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • Yes we have many times, it has been a few years since we have gone there so they may have changed the rules but we never had a problem with the life guards that is on duty at the swim beach.

There was a sign that designated < BOATS - SWIMMER >

In the past they have launched cat races from that section of beach as well. Maybe the guy you talked to thought you wanted to launch from there?

I would be interested in knowing if they did change the rules.

Thanks

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • ohmsj

There was a sign that designated < BOATS - SWIMMER >

Correct... you can beach your cat and have a fun day with family and friends at the beach... You need to launch from the ramp and sail over there. Jet skiers do this all the time. You can't drive into the dirt lot at the end, set up, and go sailing..

And, yes we have had some races from there... Blue Water Regatta and the Frency's Rum Run.... Both of these were with special permission and the hosting yacht club supported the insurance requirement.

That said, the summertime presents a little issue as most of the beach is sequestered for swimmers... The area can get a tricky and a little bit of an issue at high tide to launch... If the wind is more north it does not give you much room to maneuver from the rocks.

On a side note, we have tried many times to get a permanent arrangement to launch from the beach there, that is drive int the lot, set up, wheel the boats down to the beach, and go sailing... There just hasn't been enough local interested in getting this going....

Edited by JohnES on Aug 18, 2014 - 11:00 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • John

Wasn't there a beach ramp re-opened a few years ago in Channel Island Harbor towards the end of Victoria Blvd.? I thought I remember some one posting pic's of the opening?

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • Hobie Beach, never got used and the county didn't bother spending the money on any further improvements as no-one ever used it...

The kayak and outrigger folks have built a path to the water.... but there is still the rocks to contend with as there is no beach... or there is, just at low tide.

Here is a pic what is there now

https://www.google.com/ma…4914d:0xabedfa0a96b5d9e6

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • The person I did talk to may have been secretary. She didnt seem to know to much about the area

Edited by cisdubs on Aug 18, 2014 - 02:53 PM.

--
    Duane
    1981 P18
    Simi Valley Ca.
    --
  • I have beached my cat in Ventura many times this summer. I walked over and spoke with the life guards and they told me it was allowed, but to obviously stay off the swimmers side. Its a very nice wide beach.

I have launched from Hobie beach in Oxnard several times. It is very small and you pretty much need to hit a 12 foot wide spot that has sand and no rocks. High tide, forget it. Its simply easier and cleaner to launch from the CI ramp. I have pretty much only sailed out of Ventura since July. The facilities are great and the beach is a nice resting spot to come into.

What would be super fantastic would be secure mast up storage. Santa Barbara has a permit you can buy for the summer to leave your cat on the beach there. Being able to throw the sails up and go would be a dream.
  • numberfool

What would be super fantastic would be secure mast up storage............. Being able to throw the sails up and go would be a dream.

We have tried to do that for the the Ventura Harbor Beach..... The problem is that there needs to be some sort of insurance; which I think is a total crock of dung, to be able to do this... I believe the real reason is they don't want this turning into a old catamaran junkyard and have to start hauling stuff our every year when they bring the dredge in to clean the harbor as well as don't want to have to police it....

It could have been accomplished as the cost is not much, but it would require some folks to pony up, split the cost and police it. The out riggers are doing this! I and two others were in, but when it came time for the rubber to hit the road many of the "it would be nice to have......" crowd were stammering like Porky Pig when it came to their check books...

There are some work-a-rounds for this...

1.) Join an established club such as the Ventura Sailing Club, get a few of the other cat owners to chip in and get the required insurance, and enjoy the beach.

2.) Join and established club like the Pierpont Bay Yacht Club, get a few of the other cat owners to join and chip in and get the required insurance, and enjoy the beach.

3.) Join and established club like the Ventura Outrigger Canoe Club , get a few of the other cat owners to join and chip in and get the required insurance, and enjoy the beach.

4.) Go to the Ventura Harbor master, give them all the money for the insurance and enjoy the beach...

I have also approached them with the yearly pass..... a few years back the cost we something like $100 and they would need to sell 10 of them.... this pass would let you in there, allow you to leave you boat for a few days, blah blah blah.... again no-one wanted to spend the money! But, they will spend on average $80.00 a year on ramp fees..... go figure!

Edited by JohnES on Aug 19, 2014 - 08:00 AM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thanks John,

I will hit you up on the side on this over the winter. I have alot of interest in doing this and if insurance is the only hurdle, I think we can put something together.

I will send you a PM or we can talk when I see you next time.

Wayne
  • Quotea few years back the cost we something like $100 and they would need to sell 10 of them.

Where I am, that translates into 3 sailors. Surely you can round up 3 people who would buy 3 slots each & get the deal done.
    I couldn't imagine trading off trailing & rigging every day for a lousy $300/yr.
    If you buy 3 "slots", charge other people $20/day for the privilege, & make most of your outlay back.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    If you buy 3 "slots", charge other people $20/day for the privilege, & make most of your outlay back.

Hmmmmm....... actually we thought about this, but once we start to do that; that is collect money and provide a service, we are now the liable party... Guess you know where this conversation is going to go.....

Sucks when you brother is a lawyer!

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I know this is a 3 year old thread but I grew up sailing out of Hobie Beach in C.I. Harbor amd the County ruined it with rocks etc.

But if you can handle the walk and have Cat Tracks you can launch in front of the Rudder Room bar on Hollywood Beach on the north side of C.I. Harbor.

The breakwater extends past the harbor creating a generally protected area.

In years gone by summertime there you could not find the space to beach as there were so many cats!

Be prepared to walk your cat tho....

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • afvenomI know this is a 3 year old thread but I grew up sailing out of Hobie Beach in C.I. Harbor amd the County ruined it with rocks etc.

But if you can handle the walk and have Cat Tracks you can launch in front of the Rudder Room bar on Hollywood Beach on the north side of C.I. Harbor.

In years gone by summertime there you could not find the space to beach as there were so many cats!

The question with the beach at "The Ruds" is where are you going to stage the boat and keep the trailer while sailing...

With that, you may be on to something... that is maybe keep the boats on the beach just beyond the volleyball nets... It is an Oxnard Beach, not a county beach, there may be an opportunity for this to happen.

Check your PM, I have owned an 5.8 and can help ya get it back into shape..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Yeah, you may need to leave the car at the harbor, I dunno... where theres a will there is a way! Checking PM's now!

JohnES
    afvenomI know this is a 3 year old thread but I grew up sailing out of Hobie Beach in C.I. Harbor amd the County ruined it with rocks etc.

The question with the beach at "The Ruds" is where are you going to stage the boat and keep the trailer while sailing...

With that, you may be on to something... that is maybe keep the boats on the beach just beyond the volleyball nets... It is an Oxnard Beach, not a county beach, there may be an opportunity for this to happen.

Check your PM, I have owned an 5.8 and can help ya get it back into shape..

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.