Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Learning on a Hobie 20 Miracle  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• you all make it sound like it's a 100mph hydroplane

its a 20mph dingy

sail without the jib, put a storm main on the boat and sail the snot out of it....until you can handle it with a jib

YES - take a lesson or 4
    YES- sail with people who know how to sail
    YES wear a safety gear
  • Tleguth, where in the Houston are are you located? I sail most Saturdays at the Texas City Dike and you are welcome to drive down sometime and go for a ride on my Prindle 19. It is similar to the Hobie 20. The H-20's rating is 65 while the P-19 is 66.4. I agree with most of the above comments, the Hobie 20 is way too much boat and you can easily get into trouble if the wind comes up. Start with a Hobie 16, Prindle 16, or Nacra 5.0.

Also, TCDYC has a get-together every "First Saturday of the Month" at the dike and we usually have a great turnout. Will normally have around 20 catamarans show up. Come down, ask questions and take a few rides.
  • MN3you all make it sound like it's a 100mph hydroplane

its a 20mph dingy

sail without the jib, put a storm main on the boat and sail the snot out of it....until you can handle it with a jib

It's very easy for an experienced sailor to underestimate the learning curve. MN3, what boat did you learn to sail on? The OP said that he has basically zero experience other then renting cats at the beach (and we all know how that typically goes...). So your suggestion continues to be buy a high end racing boat and essentially jury rig it to detune it. Why? So the guy can get a good deal? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense for someone to just buy a boat that is suited to their skill level?

As I said before, there is a chance that the OP could buy the Hobie 20, get it figured out, and end up enjoying the snot out of it. The more likely scenario is that he would buy the Hobie 20, struggle with rigging it, struggle with sailing it, capsize and/or damage the boat, get totally frustrated, give up and sell the boat.

sm
  • QuoteIt's very easy for an experienced sailor to underestimate the learning curve. MN3, what boat did you learn to sail on?

(I AGREE with your statement above)

sunfish/phantom at summer camp in the 70's (was totally clueless)
    h16, sailed it about 20 times (was mostly clueless)
    h18 sailed it about 200 times (was clueless when i got it... learned a lot over the next few years but still couldn't sail downwind nor understand the jib adjusters - sailed it in some real nasty storms / solo / survived 40mph squalls even hit with a kiteboard sail/chute and survived)
    mystere 5.5 sailed it about 1300 times (didn't understand much about the details - learned them on this boat)

I originally stated 2 different ideas here, start out easy and light or go balls to the wall and start out on a fast boat.....

both are doable... depends on the person, desires, time, ability to learn/adapt....

Still not a rocketship.... YES depower it so you don't get in real trouble.... YES because it is such a great deal (sounds about $3500 cheaper than it should be)

FIRST POST
    2 train of thoughts ...

1. start out with an easy to manage boat
    less control lines to manage
    less micro adjusters that will take a while to learn
    less of a chance of you getting in over your head that can be very frustrating and discouraging and i have seen many people buy a catamaran, go out a few times, get in over their head and get caught in rough weather and quit the sport because it was such a bad experience

2. start out with a complex boat and learn from the get-go how to manage everything

most start out with #1 and i usually recommend that to most people
    pros don't start out racing a formula 1 car, they start out on a go-carts
    , and smaller rides and step up as skills improve

so unless you are totally gung-ho, know for 100% sure you will love the challenges and dont mind taking your lumps... go for it, but it's NOT hard to find/buy/sell catamarans ... i would recommend to most to start out with an easy boat - ESP if you plan to single hand it

Edited by MN3 on Aug 12, 2014 - 01:33 PM.
  • My thanks to all of you for sharing you exerience and advice with me. There have been many excellent points made by all and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me. What I've taken away from the discussion is:
    1. Don't rush into buying a "good deal." It may be more boat than I can handle resulting in frustration, a loss of enthusiasm and it can be costly if I damage the cat.
    2. Link up with some experienced sailors who can guide me toward the best cat for me. I'll visit the TCDYC on the first Saturday of Sept. In the meantime, Morris if I could join you some Saturday that would be great for me. I'll contact you to see when it might be convenient for you.
    3. Tim, if you are not in a rush to sell your H16 I would certainly be interested in it. I need to make sure it can make the trip to Houston.
    Once again, thanks to all of you!
  • fxloopIf your comfy doing this solo at around 9 Mph,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, go for it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB7KuJNwdiY

So Smoooooooove!!! Except for 3:15! icon_razz

Actually it was pretty smooth too! icon_lol

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • QuoteActually it was pretty smooth too!

Not very many boats turn themselves around to pick you up if they don't like you riding them. My H20 is very stable and likes one hull only in the water. It's really a great design, too bad they're not in the "F" spin class of boats....... As a bonus, guys on a budget can own a first class tornado based Hobie cat that loves big water and high performance for less than a $5k. Perfect for sailing fast and comfy :0)

Edited by fxloop on Aug 13, 2014 - 02:58 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Look, Sailing is Sailing and I really don't think any of the boats everyone is talking about make a difference if the fundamentals of knowing how to sail apply. If your a beginner than any cat over 18' needs another person for ballast to keep it under control in good winds but four people can be fun on a 20' boat if your out tohave a good time. This means you have to know what you are doing on the water and it doesn't really matter what boat you are going to buy. This is the same for a Hobie 14 or a Hobie 21 as they will all capsize the same, unannounced and at the wrong time. Think of where you see yourself sailing because a 20 footer can be fun if your not serius about getting every last knot out of it and just want to have fun. It's usually drier, can carry more people and is more stable. If you want to sail solo than I would think a Nacra 5.0 or Hobie 16 would be a perfect fit otherwise the 20'r will sit unused becuase it's can be hard to get crew. Whichever you buy only time on the water will help. icon_cool

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • tleguth, use search engine www.searchtempest.com to look for good deals in your area....

http://sanantonio.craigsl….org/boa/4609776381.html

good luck, keep us posted.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.