Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Getting cement off hulls  Bottom

• Seriously, I am trying to get cement off some Nacra hulls. A friend had a driveway poured and the boat was next to it and the cement guys let cement splash all over the boat. Jerks.

So, it has a bunch of little gobs of cement stuck to the hull. I thought I could just pick them off, but I can't believe how strongly they adhered to the gelcoat! I picked a few small ones off, but some just won't come off and I'm worried about picking little bits of gel coat out if I chip the cement off.

I know Acetone is Ok on gel, but I don't know if it will do the trick. Muratic acid eats at cement, but I fear it will eat the Nacra, too.

I was also thinking about Penetrol and some other penetrating solvent like goof-off or PB Blast.

Any ideas??
  • I think acid will do the trick. Don't think you need the 50-50 mixture talked about in this link. I want to say I use 25% acid with success.

http://www.thehulltruth.c…cid-cleaning-hull.html#b

I don't think any solvent is going to help much.

Edited by bacho on Jul 24, 2014 - 11:35 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I'll try that--someone else suggested CLR for exactly what I'm dealing with.
  • wow - that blows - i think the cement company should cover the cost
  • Maybe pressure wash the hulls the cement should come off

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • I have used muratic acid in a 2:1 (2 water:1 acid) mixture to remove mineral deposits off my hull with excellent results. Just wear gloves.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.