Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Look'n to get catty again  Bottom

• I owned a H16 for many years, let it go ~ 15 years ago. I am going on vacation with family and want to buy a used cat for the week, so not going to want to spend a lot of money. I could use some advice on what to get. Hobies, Prindles, a Supercat, maybe a NACRA or two are available. Here are the condsiderations:

Will be sailing off south-central west cost of Michigan
    Will have 8 folks, all between 120 and 180 lbs. Five experienced sailors.
    Want to be able to sail with more than 2 at a time.
    Boat can't be too heavy, have to trailer ~ four hundred miles behind 4 cylinder SUV
    Not looking for a rocket ship, but want a little adrenalin
    Not too wet a ride would be better
    The house we have is not on the beach, so i don't know if I'll be able to leave it rigged.
    Have always sailed off an atlantic ocean beach or inland lake, don't know if there are any considerations for Great Lakes sailing.
    I loved my H16, but it got crowded with more than 2 aboard.
    There's a Supercat 17 available at good price, but heard it can be a very wet ride.

Read through some of the forums, and getting some great info, but there's a lot of give and take, and wanted to get specific feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Herraw
    Venture 14
    Hobie 16
  • Sounds like your budget is around $2000. Go pick up one of those P-16 in Twin Lakes or Holton for a $1000 & run down to South Bend for those beach wheels for $350. I'd even make an offer on the Sea Spray & throw it on top of Prindle trailer. Exactly where is your house rental? Pete

Edited by pbegle on Jul 23, 2014 - 10:40 PM.
  • QuoteThere's a Supercat 17 available at good price, but heard it can be a very wet ride.

I always liked that Supercat 17, it actually sits up quite high. So you want to go fast and not get wet?

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • klppurdy
    QuoteThere's a Supercat 17 available at good price, but heard it can be a very wet ride.

I always liked that Supercat 17, it actually sits up quite high. So you want to go fast and not get wet?

Good point. I guess I don't mind getting wet, just not a constant spray to contend with.
  • pbegleSounds like your budget is around $2000. Go pick up one of those P-16 in Twin Lakes or Holton for a $1000 & run down to South Bend for those beach wheels for $350. I'd even make an offer on the Sea Spray & throw it on top of Prindle trailer. Exactly where is your house rental? PeteEdited by pbegle on Jul 23, 2014 - 10:40 PM.

Thanks for the info. I was checking the Prindles out. Will the P16 handle a crowd better than the H16? House is in Douglas.
  • When you put a crowd on a cat, it is no longer a multihull, but is a slug. Never more than three when you have good wind (whitecaps). The 4th person will help cause a pitchpole. Best to take short sails & change crews. What the P-16 is good for is Lake Michigan waves (deeper bows) & better sail plan. But go down to S. Bend & get the beach wheels. Pete

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.