Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tips for shipping cross country?  Bottom

• I'm looking to get an A-class shipped from the bay area to Chicago. No trailer. Does anyone have any experience doing this, or have any contacts? I got a bid from a uShip shipper, but it would end up being almost half the cost!

The boat is not one that can be broken down (beams are bonded), so it can't be car-topped or put in a www.pods.com style container (easily).

Thanks,
    Dan
  • Hey Dan,

I'm far from an expert at this, but know we have used UShip to move F18's around the country before. Without a trailer, you'd typically need the boat broken down. Generally we ship with our own trailer, driver picks it up and drops it off where you want it. So my advice is to find a trailer in the bay area and buy it to get the boat to Chicago. Even doing that, it's going to cost you big bucks-$0.5 to $1/mile. That's the problem with buying boats from so far away :(
  • $2k would pretty much be the going rate unless you find a friend willing to deal with it for you. If your talking about the boat that I think you are, I ran into the same problem with it last year.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • If you're committed to doing this, I would vote with buying a trailer out west and towing her home.
    You're talking just under 8-0 wide and less than 500 lbs. of towed vehicle weight.
    http://sailboatdata.com/v…record.asp?class_id=4294
    Then you have a trailer. Good luck.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • thanks!
    I wish it was break-down-able. With a trailer, I'm sure I'd get more hits from uship.

Finding an appropriate trailer from another city will be tough, I suspect. I sent an email to Svendsen's Chandlery. I'll see what comes up.

Dan
  • bacho$2k would pretty much be the going rate unless you find a friend willing to deal with it for you. If your talking about the boat that I think you are, I ran into the same problem with it last year.

heh. I probably am. There aren't all that many that come up on the market.

I went to a regatta up in Racine WI last year, just to check out some boats in person, and there were 2 or 3 boats that changed hands and sailed for the first time with their new owners. I've also seen a number of for sale ads that advertise "available after x regatta." Never for a regatta in the midwest, tho.
  • danlocksthanks!
    I wish it was break-down-able. With a trailer, I'm sure I'd get more hits from uship.

Finding an appropriate trailer from another city will be tough, I suspect. I sent an email to Svendsen's Chandlery. I'll see what comes up.

Dan

Sven's is a great place... chances are if they don't have or can't get it you don't need it... Unlike West Marine they do cater to sailboats... but you will pay...

Why not just order it from Trailex direct, have it shipped and waiting for you when you arrive to drive it home.... takes about four hours to assemble with 9/16 & 7/16th" wrench and socket, pliers, screwdriver and a few other tools that can be carried on... or contact Pete Begal I think he may have a few trailers that may get the job done...

Either way you look at this, it is not going to be a cheap proposition...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Whoa! Slow down!! This is a BAD BAD BAD idea!!!!!!!

A cats are VERY delicate and you just can't trust someone to transport it across the country properly--unless you or the seller packs it. uShip is a great resource for shipping but any of the transporters probably know nothing about catamarans, much less A cats.

Seriously, have the seller get a trailer for it and load it and have someone tow it to you. It will never get there in one piece otherwise.
  • And I would certainly have a set of hull covers dragging a boat across the country. Never know when a driver is going to make a diversion on gravel to a favorite diner. Have a set of Tornado covers, don't know if they'd fit, but would have to be altered anyway as were made for hulls only, no beam. Pete
  • I got an offer from a capricorn rep to ship it in Sept sometime with another f18 he's delivering. Does that count as professionaly packed?

Now I'm thinking I should get it inspected. who to call? I'll let google guide me.. unless someone has a contact.?
    THanks,
    Dan
  • I've used Nathan Green twice now to move cats across country, he's reliable and affordable. PM me if you want his contact info.

Dave

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.