Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where to buy a new jib for Mystere 5.0xl  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I don't need one right away, but my mylar jib is looking pretty dried out and brittle from sun exposure. Anyone know if someone makes/sells sails for Mysteres besides Mystere?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • Jason,

I bought the jib for my Inter 18 at Voiles Saintonge in Granby, QC. They made it themselves. It is in dacron but they could probably do it in Mylar. I ordered it on a friday and got it the next wednesday.

Google Voiles Saintonge and you'll find them. Ask for Gérard if you call.

--
    AB
    --
  • any (decent) sail loft should be able to build you any kind of jib you want

i think North Sails used to make jibs for mystere

Edited by MN3 on Jul 21, 2014 - 02:03 PM.
  • Glaser Sails, EP Sails, Whirlwind Sails all have experience with multihulls, and have treated me well. Call a few lofts and try to gauge their knowledge and customer service. Try to order before your need is dire, early and mid season can be very busy for most sailmakers.

Dave
  • The original jib for my 6.0XL had seen a little to much sun, the sail is brittle & the zipper pretty much done. When I bought the boat it also came with a brand new jib, from North Sails.
    It looked different than the Mylar one,(had the cross hatch pattern of embedded thread, same as the main). I brought it into the sail loft to enquire if a UV strip could be fitted.
    The girl at the loft told me it was Dacron product, but more of a high performance racing sail. She said being Dacron it would be fine to add a UV strip, so I did. $250 clams to modify the battens & add UV, but now it stays up all season.
    The 6.0XL is not quite as quick as the N5.7 to rig, & it's trying to kill me, but I have the teething problems figured out now & can be off the dock in 12 minutes.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I assume when getting a sail made by a loft I would need to send them my old one for them to use as a pattern? Edchris - what do you mean by a UV strip?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • Jason,

They have a database of dimensions. They didn't need my jib to make the new one. Now, do they have yours?

--
    AB
    --
  • kasperI assume when getting a sail made by a loft I would need to send them my old one for them to use as a pattern?

No, a good sailmaker wouldn't take dimensions from an old sail. If they didn't already have a pattern for a boat they would want dimensions from the boat, not the old sail.

I was schooled on this recently when ordering sails from Elliott Pattison.

It does pay to use a sail loft that makes a lot of beachcat sails, there are quirks they understand better than a "big boat" loft.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quotewhat do you mean by a UV strip?

I think you also keep your Cat at a waterfront property, & it stays rigged all summer?
    Mine stay totally rigged, only the main sail comes off each day.
    If so the portion of the jib that is exposed & especially the zippers get trashed from the sun.
    A UV strip is simply a length of UV resistant material sewn along the entire foot & leech of the sail. On the 6XL it is appx 12" wide. The result is, when furled, only the strip is exposed to the sun.
    My 5.7 jib has been up for 4 years, it is pretty worn out now, but that is from sailing, no sun damage.
    They also relocate the jib battens. The N5.7 they were horizontal, the Mystere appx 30* angle.
    The result is the sail does not furl nicely. The loft changes them to match the forestay angle, & usually lengthens them so the effect on the leech remains the same.
    If you are having a new jib made, the loft should be able to easily incorporate the UV strip. They will ask which way you furl, so the strip gets put on the correct side. If you use the stock Mystere furler, or the Harken, it doesn't matter, as the drum is "open" & can be wound either way. The Hobie drum uses a small opening for the line, & it is offset from center, biased towards the port hull. It prefers to turn CCW,(looking down from the mast hound) when furling. In that case the strip is sewn on the right facing side of the sail.
    I have heard that leaving the jib up may result in mildew problems, & that may be the case down in the Gulf States where humidity is always high. It is not a problem here, 4 seasons on the 5.7 show no mildew.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • like a zipper on your jib
    QuoteIt does pay to use a sail loft that makes a lot of beachcat sails, there are quirks they understand better than a "big boat" loft.
  • I see, that UV strip's a good idea. When I replace the sail I'll definitely ask about getting one added. I had a zippered sock made to cover my furled jib and use the halyard to hoist it up and that works pretty well too. I think the previous owner just left it to bake in the sun though. Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to start shopping around to compare prices.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • Quotemy mylar jib is looking pretty dried out and brittle from sun exposure.

btw - mylar gets dried out and brittle from age too.
    Especially older mylar sails that are over a decade old - regardless of use / exposure

modern mylar (still used as the outer laminated layer) is much more UV/time robust and doesn't flake off in chunks like older mylar does

My dacron jib (and technora main) are out in Tropical Sun during peak UV hours 125+ days a year and i don't have to replace my zippers (unless they are old zippers on old sails)

If your not leaving your boat stored mast up / jib on it, i wouldn't worry to much about a UV strip
  • If the jib overlaps the mast I would go with Dacron. Slo sails uses dimension polyant cloth and I got a 180 square Dacron that is super crisp and "racy".
    I'd send inquires to a couple sailmakers and go with your best response. For me it was slo

Good luck

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • slo sails and canvas never started/completed a tramp project for me when they got busy and worst of all, never returned my tramp despite many calls and emails to the owner Karl.

Karl was contacted by a few of my friends and even a few of his friends about the issue. He said he got swampped with new work and would return the tramp i sent him

he never returned the tramp, nor responded to any email or call i sent

i always warn people about SLO and Karl.

PS i know they have plenty of supporters but they have made an enemy for life out of me since they wouldn't return my tramp i sent them (was actually a friends loaner)
  • QuoteI had a zippered sock made to cover my furled jib and use the halyard to hoist it up and that works pretty well too.

If you have already paid for the sock, I would just use that again, & save $200.
    If you store your Cat on dry land, the sock is pretty easy to use. Land/beach storage would be the preferred way, but I don't have that option at my place, the "shore" is armor stone, very Cat unfriendly.
    I leave the cats on modified Seadoo lifts. When standing in the water between the bows, I can just barely reach the furler drum, to grab the tail of the jib halyard to tension/untension the jib. The only way to reach the jib clew,(& do up the sock) is to place a plank across the hulls to stand on, or keep a short step ladder on the dock. That got old real quick!
    For me, leaving a step ladder in the lake, or walking the plank was a real PITA, so I did all 3 Cats with the UV strip.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • In the past year I have purchased a new main and a new spin for my mutant 5.5 UNI. I worked with Rick Bliss at New England Catamarans and with Skip Elliot at Elliot Pattison Sails. Both were outstanding and helpful.

All I gave to Skip was the triangle of the spin he built it to fit. On the main, it had the old 90s pit head and deck sweeper. Not it is a square top and no deck sweeper and made the boat considerably faster.

In short get the sail from someone (EP Sails) that knows what they are doing. As to leaving it up, fine for a weekend but not ALL the time. JMHO. HTH, RIchard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • Chris,
    QuoteI leave the cats on modified Seadoo lifts. When standing in the water between the bows, I can just barely reach the furler drum, to grab the tail of the jib halyard to tension/untension the jib. The only way to reach the jib clew,(& do up the sock) is to place a plank across the hulls to stand on, or keep a short step ladder on the dock. That got old real quick!

Not sure how your lift is made, but I have a simple cantilever lift that is ten feet wide and i can walk on the frame between the bows which is really handy. I've thought about adding a sort deck plank to the frame to make it easier to stand on but haven't gotten around to it yet. I find the tough part of using a lift is getting the cat back on it in windy/choppy conditions while walking it around in chest deep water. Like you,I don't have the land option either.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • QuoteI find the tough part of using a lift is getting the cat back on it in windy/choppy conditions while walking it around in chest deep water.

I'm better off, I;m only in waist deep water!
    You probably have a prevailing wind, or you can only slide the cat in from one side. Just build a "fence" along the downwind side, a couple of 2x4 pieces & a length of 5/4" deck board.
    Then you just manouvre the Cat into position & the fence will keep it from moving laterally. Crank the lift, just a few turns to stabilize the Cat, then walk around & bump it exactly onto the cradles, or where it needs to be, then raise the lift.
    I don't have the 10' wide Cat lift that the Quebec company makes, it would be a better option. I just use an 800 lb seadoo lift. I mounted a 2x2 steel square tube crossways, then a 10' 2x6 to that. They are perpendicular to how the seadoo would sit on the lift
    I'll email you a photo tomorrow.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteYou probably have a prevailing wind, or you can only slide the cat in from one side. Just build a "fence" along the downwind side, a couple of 2x4 pieces & a length of 5/4" deck board.

I do have a rail on each side which helps a lot. It's maneuvering the cat around by hand in the waves that's tough if there's nobody to help me. I have to back it in.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • I know your pain, there is a surprising amount of windage, even pointed dead into the wind, & once the water is more than waist deep you don't have much for footing.
    I also back mine in, & can only approach from one side due to the docks. The problem was keeping the boat in one place while I wade around to get at the winch.
    I placed my powerboat lift in front of the Cat lift. The stinkpot requires deeper water, & it also allowed me to leave a line tied to the power lift, just long enough to reach the furler drum. I manouvre the Cat against the dock,(between the two lifts) then clip the end of the line to the forestay, just where it meets the drum.
    I can now manouvre the Cat in line with it's lift, & let it drift back. The fence keeps it over the cradles & the line prevents drift.
    I can now take my time releasing the jib tension, install the grenade safety pin, front securing straps, & front clips for the sun cover.
    I then wade around to rear, install the rear sun cover clips, place the sail on the dock, then lift the Cat out of the water. By doing all the chores before I lift it, everything is in easy reach. As you know,once you lift it, nothing is reachable from the water. It took a bit of time to get the procedure down, & have the covers, pins etc where you needed them, but once figured out it eliminated all the "extra trips".
    You could probably rig an anchor & line to assist you, with fences 1/2 your problem is solved. It would sure be nice to have a sand beach... ah, First World Problems eh?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.