Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Newbie Launch Question  Bottom

• So I'm new and getting ready for my first outing on the lake.

Launch will be from a sandy ramp.

Now I know I need to have the boat into the wind. If the wind is directly into or away from the ramp i can simply align the cat with bow into wind , raise sails and I'm good.

How do I handle a quartering wind.

For example: wind out of NE and ramp faces due north. Do i have bow facing north ,raise sail and fully let out the main so sail sort of flutters or is there a better solution. I want to avoid having the boat driven against the dock.

I have no beach and suppose another way is to push off , get bow facing into wind with a paddle and quickly raise the sails and than scramble back to the tiller.

I do not have a beach to allow for various launch angles.

Once I get the basics down I can trailer to a local beach where launch will be easier. I just don'twant my first few sails to be in the ocean !!
  • The closer you can get the boat to directly head-to-wind, the easier raising the mainsail will be. Within about 15-20 degrees of straight into the wind is ideal. Much more than that and the sail will start to get pressure in it which will cause more drag against the mast track and possibly against the shrouds, etc. Depending on what type of boat you have, getting the bows pointed directly into the wind may also be necessary for engaging the halyard once the sail is fully hoisted (i.e., if you have a hook & ring system like on a Hobie 18, the boat really needs to be pointed into the wind to get the hook to engage/disengage).

I would not try to hoist the sails with the boat bobbing out in the water, it's a recipe for disaster as the boat will almost certainly drift off of a head-to-wind heading.

sm
  • I don't think you want to be raising the sails on the water. That's really difficult and a total PITA. I have done it between races to work on battens in emergencies though.

The boat doesn't HAVE to be dead into the wind, although it helps. You can deal with 45* off pretty well.

Are you launching from a trailer or wheels and what type of boat do you have a helper?

Edited by bacho on Jul 09, 2014 - 10:29 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • bachoI don't think you want to be raising the sails on the water. That's really difficult and a total PITA. I have done it between races to work on battens in emergencies though.

The boat doesn't HAVE to be dead into the wind, although it helps. You can deal with 45* off pretty well.

Are you launching from a trailer or wheels and what type of boat do you have a helper?Edited by bacho on Jul 09, 2014 - 10:29 AM.

I can do Cat Trax or trailer. I imagine raising on a trailer is more stable platform? Solo launch.

Of course when leaving boat to park trailer what if wind shifts?
  • You hurry back to boat before it tips over!

Don't connect mainsheet blocks or jib sheet until you're at the boat and ready to take off!!!!

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • If your ramp is sandy, I would push it down on the wheels and try to leave it on the sand while you put the wheels away. Using the wheels, go ahead and hoist the sails in the parking lot.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.