Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Question about ramp launch  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• So i picked up a nice Nacra 500 for a fair price. I will be using a boat ramp on a large lake. This thread has been very helpful:

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/13164

It answered all my questions except one and if anyone can assist me I'd appreciate it !

When launching solo how do i avoid damage to hulls from the dock when i go to park the truck??

Does anybody carry boat fenders on a cat? If so where do i store them?

Thank you.
  • Congrats on the the purchase!

First understand that your scenario of solo ramp launching with no beach, having to tie the boat up to a dock while you park, is about as bad as it gets. Sorry.

I always hate it when I'm faced with that, but lots of people deal with it on a regular basis so where there's a will there's a way!

As far as dock fenders, probably a good idea if your dock doesn't have any rubber/plastic bumpers built in. Maybe you could engineer some out of pool noodles that would then fit through the deck ports or just lay along the deck.

Another item you should have it a fairly long (but doesn't need to be thick) dock line, long enough to walk around from the trailer to the dock to pull the boat over if that's possible in your scenario. Every dock is different.

The big pain in the ass is usually the other boats launching or already tied up to the dock you have to work around.

Tell us more about your specific dock, maybe someone here already launches there and you can get some help!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Important! I saw it was mentioned briefly in the other dock launching thread, but...

Check for overhead power lines!

The ramp/dock might be there are still a LOT of dangerous situations around in parking lots and roads where you might be setting up and when driving over to the ramp.

Also be aware of overhanging tree limbs, not as dramatically dangerous but still will ruin your day if you drive your mast into one.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I would encourage you to buy some beach wheels immediately and forget about trailer launching solo. Plenty of people do it, but wheels work much better and the whole situation is much more controlled.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • So transfer from trailer to Cat Trax and walk down ramp?

Recovery?
    Load on dolly and walk up ramp or recover with trailer?
  • Do it all on the trax, the only downside is hauling it up the ramp. The benefits make it worthwhile though.

My boat comes off the trailer and goes onto the trax before a single thing gets rigged on it.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • bachoDo it all on the trax, the only downside is hauling it up the ramp. The benefits make it worthwhile though.

My boat comes off the trailer and goes onto the trax before a single thing gets rigged on it.

Bacho:

Being new to this I don't see downside of rigging on trailer. If Trax has only one set of wheels i would think the trailer is a more stable platform. Stepping must must be done on trailer if solo as my set up comes with gin pole/winch.

How hard is it to pull a 300-400 pound boat up a ramp?

I would think backing trailer to water is simple. Power boaters do it everyday.

Please elaborate.

Thanks
  • saltspray
    Being new to this I don't see downside of rigging on trailer. If Trax has only one set of wheels i would think the trailer is a more stable platform. Stepping must must be done on trailer if solo as my set up comes with gin pole/winch.

How hard is it to pull a 300-400 pound boat up a ramp?

I think the question of whether ramp launching with beach wheels would be easier depends entirely on the local ramp. Thinking about my local ramp, it's a long way from where I rig to the water at the bottom of the ramp, and I don't think I could physically haul my Hobie 18 single handed that far and then down the fairly steep concrete ramp, and definitely could not haul it UP the ramp on beach wheels.

LIke I mentioned, your situation kind of sucks for beachcats. When using a ramp, the best situation is when you can slide the boat into the water from the trailer, then walk it over to an adjacent shoreline to raise the sails.

If you have to go straight to a dock, everything is harder no matter how you got the boat into the water.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Do you have sail boxes?

I don't think you can really compare a beach cat to a power boat. The power boat is normally heavy and very forgiving to move on land or trailer as you back to the water.

A beach cat is normally lighter than the trailer it rests on, with sails up they can be a handful to manage on the ground in puffs unless they are head to wind. A boat on a trailer can easily flip off, or flip the trailer in the wrong puff of wind. Even if the are sails down. Raising sails on the water really sucks.

With Trax the boat can be pointed head to wind in an instant if needed. The wheels are very forgiving while in the water as they weigh less than the boat. They move with the boat, intead of the boat contacting a rather planted trailer.

In general, when my boat is that close to concrete, I always want somebody's hands on it at all times. You just can't achieve that with a trailer.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • I sail my H18 solo most of the time. I have a set of the blue tiger trax and lauch from the ramp with the power boats from time to time. I find it easier to roll the rigged boat in (or rig it on the side of the ramp) but, trailer it out. When I try to rig it at the dock I always lose something in the drink.

To retrive it, I drop the main at the dock before I put it on the trailer so it won't hope off in a gust. I found that launching and retrieving from the leeward side of the dock will let my boat drift off a ways so it won't beat the sides. I put a bow and aft line on her and pull her back to me to board. I've recently discovered that 2 bow lines, one on each bridle, tames the movement at the dock quite a bit. It's a lot of work to lauch this way but, hey you got to sail what you got right? Good luck!

--
    Andy
    '86 Hobie 18
    High Point, North Carolina
    --
  • Not sure what are your specific limitations, you can probably park it on the beach on a couple old tyres.
  • I'm thinking people are not reading my question properly. I said nothing about raising sails on trailer! Also nothing about beach parking.
    Simple question:

How does one prevent marring of the hulls on dock when parking truck? Yes Damon, I know ramp is not best situation but it is what i have. It's not the cards you are dealt but how you play the hand.

So again any suggestions re fenders etc.

Thanks.
  • I can sympathize with both the ramp launching situation and the answers to questions you didn't pose problem.
    When I launch at Leesylvinia State Park on the Potomac, I rig up on the trailer, launch with sails down, and then move the boat to the lee side of the dock. Then I go park the rig.
    I like Redbeards' idea of two bow lines. I may give that a try.
    On my Super Cat 15 my righting lines are tied, for and aft between the cross bars. The line is sorta fat, and acts as a kind of fender. Draping a line from the bridal tang all the way aft works fairly well.
    You will need to work out stowage if you want to carry any fender system while under way.
    I hope this addressed the original question. Good luck, GH

Edited by gahamby on Jun 22, 2014 - 10:58 AM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • gahambyI can sympathize with both the ramp launching situation and the answers to questions you didn't pose problem.
    When I launch at Leesylvinia State Park on the Potomac, I rig up on the trailer, launch with sails down, and then move the boat to the lee side of the dock. Then I go park the rig.
    I like Redbeards' idea of two bow lines. I may give that a try.
    On my Super Cat 15 my righting lines are tied, for and aft between the cross bars. The line is sorta fat, and acts as a kind of fender. Draping a line from the bridal tang all the way aft works fairly well.
    You will need to work out stowage if you want to carry any fender system while under way.
    I hope this addressed the original question. Good luck, GHEdited by gahamby on Jun 22, 2014 - 10:58 AM.

Thank you!

Not sure why one of the posts suggested rigging on Cat trax? My only other "possible" issue is when to raise sails.

My ramp has a secondary ramp "breakwater" to prevent wake damage and I'm thinking I may have to paddle out beyond the second dock to raise sails.

My other and possibly better option is to paddle to a beach about 75 yds away and raise on the beach.

Thanks again.
  • When I can I paddle to a beach or sandbar as soon as possible. Hoisting sail at dockside sucks. When I have to I try to drift downwind away from the dock as far as my looped dock line will let me. The trouble is a cat will start to sail real quick and sail right back up to the dock. A small anchor might be a possibility. The thing is cats don't ride so well at anchor and now you have an anchor to deal with.
    Mooring for and aft might work. I've never tried it, however. My problem when single handing off a dock is having a lot to do quickly. The boat seems to have a magnetic attraction to the dock and once the sail is up, she's a handful in close quarters.

Edited by gahamby on Jun 22, 2014 - 11:26 AM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • QuoteMy other and possibly better option is to paddle to a beach about 75 yds away and raise on the beach.

Depending on the wind/current/water depth, that could easily be your best bet, especially if you only have to paddle off the dock & can then walk it. 75 yds is a very short distance.
    I tie up to a dock many times per season. I own the dock, so admittedly, that eliminates most of the aggravation. We often sail from the house to some parks, & tie up to their docks. If it is a straight dock, with ramp on each side,the lee side is preferable. Depending on room you can let the boat swing into wind, pointed at dock, held by a line looped, not tied to something on the dock. Sail is now easy to raise. When ready let the boat drift back,slip the line, & sail away. A furling jib is your friend at docks.
    I have a couple of premade lines on the 5.7, one on the bridal, one from a small tab I added under the head of a bolt on the rear beam. The 5.0 ties one onto the pintle pin. Depending on the particulars of your dock you might make some up.
    I have a couple of partial pool noodles with some line tied to them. They can be stuffed into a hatch. My buddy puts a full pool noodle just under the flap at the rear of the tramp, parallel to the rear beam. The tramp lacing keeps it in place, secured with a couple of small bungee loops he made up. A couple of small boat fenders could also store there.
    If leaving the boat at the dock for any length of time I use 2 regular boat fenders. The size will be determined by the dock you use. Some docks, with smooth wood/concrete sides you can get by with tiny fenders. If the dock is corrugated or open truss, it is more difficult.
    The 5.7 & 5.0, as you know are uncluttered platforms, easy to stow fenders. If you have double traps & are solo, you can hang the fender from the front dogbone & loosely tie the other end off at the bridal,shroud or hiking strap, it won't get in the way of the jib. You can also tuck them under the front end of the hiking strap & secure. Perhaps a padeye on the front beam for tying.
    Your dock will dictate how much line you need. One Provincial Park we sail to requires more line, I tie one line to shroud, the other to bridal,with fender in middle & just let the fender hang partially over the hull. I used to use another short line & run it around the hiking strap, to keep fender on the boat, but it really wasn't required.
    I have on occasion just dangled it from the front dogbone & let it bump around, the trap bungee keeps it mostly in one place, tuck the fender line into the tramp pocket, or wrap around the front of hiking strap.
    One last item, unless your rudders lock up, SECURE YOUR RUDDERS in trail position while at dock. If you don't they will end up damaged, especially if the dock uses open truss beams.
    I have a short bungee with "S" hooks that I keep slightly stretched on the rear tramp lacing, under the flap. Undo one end, go around tiller tie bar with some tension & snap back onto tramp lacing. Just remember to undo it before casting off, it can be exciting in big wind to suddenly be fighting to steer.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75954&g2_serialNumber=6

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 22, 2014 - 12:24 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • [

Edchris177
    QuoteMy other and possibly better option is to paddle to a beach about 75 yds away and raise on the beach.

Depending on the wind/current/water depth, that could easily be your best bet, especially if you only have to paddle off the dock & can then walk it. 75 yds is a very short distance.
    I tie up to a dock many times per season. I own the dock, so admittedly, that eliminates most of the aggravation. We often sail from the house to some parks, & tie up to their docks. If it is a straight dock, with ramp on each side,the lee side is preferable. Depending on room you can let the boat swing into wind, pointed at dock, held by a line looped, not tied to something on the dock. Sail is now easy to raise. When ready let the boat drift back,slip the line, & sail away. A furling jib is your friend at docks.
    I have a couple of premade lines on the 5.7, one on the bridal, one from a small tab I added under the head of a bolt on the rear beam. The 5.0 ties one onto the pintle pin. Depending on the particulars of your dock you might make some up.
    I have a couple of partial pool noodles with some line tied to them. They can be stuffed into a hatch. My buddy puts a full pool noodle just under the flap at the rear of the tramp, parallel to the rear beam. The tramp lacing keeps it in place, secured with a couple of small bungee loops he made up. A couple of small boat fenders could also store there.
    If leaving the boat at the dock for any length of time I use 2 regular boat fenders. The size will be determined by the dock you use. Some docks, with smooth wood/concrete sides you can get by with tiny fenders. If the dock is corrugated or open truss, it is more difficult.
    The 5.7 & 5.0, as you know are uncluttered platforms, easy to stow fenders. If you have double traps & are solo, you can hang the fender from the front dogbone & loosely tie the other end off at the bridal,shroud or hiking strap, it won't get in the way of the jib. You can also tuck them under the front end of the hiking strap & secure. Perhaps a padeye on the front beam for tying.
    Your dock will dictate how much line you need. One Provincial Park we sail to requires more line, I tie one line to shroud, the other to bridal,with fender in middle & just let the fender hang partially over the hull. I used to use another short line & run it around the hiking strap, to keep fender on the boat, but it really wasn't required.
    I have on occasion just dangled it from the front dogbone & let it bump around, the trap bungee keeps it mostly in one place, tuck the fender line into the tramp pocket, or wrap around the front of hiking strap.
    One last item, unless your rudders lock up, SECURE YOUR RUDDERS in trail position while at dock. If you don't they will end up damaged, especially if the dock uses open truss beams.
    I have a short bungee with "S" hooks that I keep slightly stretched on the rear tramp lacing, under the flap. Undo one end, go around tiller tie bar with some tension & snap back onto tramp lacing. Just remember to undo it before casting off, it can be exciting in big wind to suddenly be fighting to steer.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75954&g2_serialNumber=6Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 22, 2014 - 12:24 PM.

PERFECT. THANK U ! icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Edited by saltspray on Jun 23, 2014 - 04:34 AM.
  • saltsprayI'm thinking people are not reading my question properly. I said nothing about raising sails on trailer! Also nothing about beach parking.
    Simple question:

How does one prevent marring of the hulls on dock when parking truck? Yes Damon, I know ramp is not best situation but it is what i have. It's not the cards you are dealt but how you play the hand.

So again any suggestions re fenders etc.

Thanks.

Parking the boat on the beach is a common solution... :)
  • Or carry an anchor...
  • saltsprayI'm thinking people are not reading my question properly. I said nothing about raising sails on trailer! Also nothing about beach parking.
    Simple question:

How does one prevent marring of the hulls on dock when parking truck? Yes Damon, I know ramp is not best situation but it is what i have.

I was just offering sympathy for the situation, but I did offer a suggestion but the topic went off talking about beach wheels.

DamonLinkous
    As far as dock fenders, probably a good idea if your dock doesn't have any rubber/plastic bumpers built in. Maybe you could engineer some out of pool noodles that would then fit through the deck ports or just lay along the deck.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.