Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Main differences bet P16 and H16  Bottom

• Hey Everyone,

For starters, I apologize if this question has been beaten to death in previous posts, but can any of you guys summarize the main differences between a P16 and a H16 for me?

I live in the Washington, DC, area and want to get back into sailing. I'm in my mid-40s and want to get back into cat sailing, teach my kids, etc. When I was in high school I bought an H16 and sailed it a lot on the West Coast of Florida (Dunedin Causeway), both solo and with crew.

I am interested in sailing on the Potomac River, Chesapeake Bay and off Maryland/Delaware coast. From reading the forums, I gather the P16 is faster, more stable and less prone to pitch poling. Correct? I never thought my H16 was unstable, but I never had anything to compare it to, either. I thought the occasional forward flip was more a result of my poor technique than anything to do with the boat. I loved that boat. It was my first car, because I just slapped a hitch on my mom's hatchback and avoided buying wheels. I sold it when I went to college. Sigh.

I've seen some nice P16s for sale in my area, so I'm curious.

On a tangent, the bigger cats like the H18 are also interesting. I have a wife and three kids (two teeanagers who like sailing) ... so maybe something with wings and more sail area would be the better way to go. How is the P16 with 3 adults aboard?

Guys, thanks for your help. This is a much more civilized forum than the one I occasionally visit for airline pilots. You are to be commended for your kindness to newbies. If this question been hashed out in previous posts, feel free to point them out. I've done a couple searches, but without finding exactly what I'm looking for.

Ron

--
    Yes, that's my real name
    Hobie 16
    --
  • I like the Prindle...
    yes, that's a grader on a ferry

Edited by kernunnos on Jun 08, 2014 - 05:14 PM.

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • Ron, The P-16 has 190 sq ft sail area vs 218 in H-16, so P-16 might have edge in 15 knots and above, while H-16 is faster in light & medium wind. P-16 weighs 300 # 5, while older Hobies 340, newer ones around 320. P-16's have always come with Harken blocks (5:1) while early H-16's came with Seaways. Now H-16's come with Harkens. Mainsail on P-16 is loose footed, a feature I like because you're carrying only rolled up sail (boom separate) whereas on H-16 bottom of sail is slotted in boom (footed). Blocks come off P-16 easier also as only one (bale) connection to boom. Of course the deeper bow on P-16 allows you to drive it harder in a blow & avoid pitchpole. 3 persons on either boat is usually just too much weight if you want catamaran performance (minimum racing wt on H-16 is 285#, 260# on P-16). Deck seating is more comfortable on P-16 than rail seating on H-16. Crossbeam hull connection on P-16 (standard on most cats) makes for stiffer boat rather than 3 connection points at each corner. Rudders on H-16 are generally considered easier to use than P-16 and both systems are kickup upon hitting beach. Parts are more available for H-16 though usually you can find anything for P-16 in classifieds on the site. Racing is the big forte for H-16 as it is strong in many areas though you need a late model boat to be competitive in A fleet due to upgrades thru the years. With reduced sail area P-16 makes best single hander (usually rightable at 160 lbs) particularily as jib comes across fast upon tacking due to no battens in jib. H-16 jib battens love to hang up on halyard at mast. My daughter solod at 12 on P-16 and particularily likes the boat. Pete
  • Hi Ron,

Before I leave you with our American friends for some good advise,
    we need some extra info on you and you're family.

- What do you weigh?
    - How old are the kids?
    - Do you plan to take out the whole family for a sail ?
    - Is you're sailing "recreational" or "sport" orientated ?

Over-here, in Europe, the secondhand cat-market is quit different
    compared to the US.

Regards, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Pete,
    Thanks for the info. That was great. I'll have to digest that.

Andre,
    I weigh 185 pounds (84kg)
    My daughters are 18 and 16. I have 4-year-old son. My wife would also come along.
    The usual load would be 3 (I'm starting to think any 16 is not enough).
    At the moment, it's purely for recreation. Not thinking about racing.

Thanks,
    Ron

--
    Yes, that's my real name
    Hobie 16
    --
  • Ron,
    You figured it out yourself, a 16 ft cat won't be much fun
    with 3 persons onboard.
    I would recommend a P18 if you go out solo occasionally ,
    easy cat, no daggerboards.
    Or even a P19 if you sail with the family all the time. They can
    be a handful, but with 3 persons and you having experience
    with catsailing, it should be okay.

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • you should get something larger if you seriously plan on taking wife and kids out regularly. I have a P19 and consider space on the boat limited. I got it with the same idea in mind (3 boys and wife) but 4 would be really crowded I think although so far the most I have had was 3.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I would not rule out the p16 - I've sailed with 4 kids and my SO and had some fun.
    It really depends on how close you all are and what the wind is like.

--
    Rob Jones
    1976 Yellow p-16 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1978 Yellow p-16 - in good working order
    1979 White p-15 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1985 White p-15 - good working order
    1982 White NACRA 5.8 - project boat.
    1986 White p-16 - in good working order
    1975 White Hobie 3.5 - PM me if you want it
    --
  • ronjonI gather the P16 is faster, more stable and less prone to pitch poling.

That sounds like it came right out of a Prindle advertisement. icon_biggrin

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com Ron and welcome back to beachcat sailing!

If you decide to stick with a 16 footer, both boats 16 footers will get you on the water, you are already familiar with the Hobie 16 and there are a lot of them available.

But keep in mind your memories of beachcat sailing were with a younger (probably smaller?) you, and now you have multiple possible crew/passengers to consider.

So it's pretty obvious that a Hobie 18 is the boat for you. lol2

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Love the room and volume of my Prindle 18. I have sailed it solo as well. It is very controllable, does not pitchpole easily and does not hike up abruptly. Plus you can pile people, dogs and stuff on it. Here is a vid we just made with the dog. This past weekend we had me, the wife, one kid and the dog on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IvjJNRDN0A

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • If you were a little closer to the Gulf Coast I'd recommend this Prindle 18 which is well equipped for family fun!

http://www.thebeachcats.c…457-1982-prindle-18.html

http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/1/large/Jim-Prindle-028.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Cool vid Peter

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • ronjonMy daughters are 18 and 16. I have 4-year-old son. My wife would also come along.

So, you are looking at up to 5 people in the boat? In this case, you may want to take a look at Hobie Getaway. This is if you are sure your daughters will be sailing with you along on regular basis. Getaway can carry up to 1000 lb and have a forward tramp and optional wings for extra space. Gateway is also a bit slower than any other cats mentioned above.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Guys,

Thanks again for all the input.

I enjoyed the video from Peter.

It wouldn't take much arm twisting for me to go to a nH18 or P18 if the price were right. This whole thread started because I saw a nice P16 for sale on Craig's List within driving distance for $1,250. That P18 in Mississippi sure looks sweet. How often do you come across deals like that? $2900 for that package seemed like a steal.

Funny Jack mentioned the Getaway because I rented one for a couple hours several years ago in Delaware and took my wife and daughters out on the thing. My impressions of it were that it was indestructible and sort of like a barge, but could be a blast with enough wind. The funny thing was that there was hardly any wind and my family still thought it was the greatest thing. I was saving money to get into cats a few years ago when the refrigerator broke and stole my funds.

Even now, it's a stretch financially getting back into sailing, but ... how long are the kids young? Maybe I should join Damon in the H18 sales department.

Any boat is better than no boat,
    Ron

--
    Yes, that's my real name
    Hobie 16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.