Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Backing up  Bottom

• I need a lesson on backing a boat up to a dock. The docking area in one of the places we sail is tight between the two docks, especially when there are other boats at dock. I tried backing it up yesterday but just couldn't quite get the hang of it.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • Patience.
    If you look like you are having a terrible time an experience boater may assist you. I have backed other people boats before, but this could end bad if something is hit. I always look backwards until the boat disappears when the ramp angles. Don't be to aggressive with the steering, small turns will do. Heavy turns will make you swerve all the way down. Don't completely untie you boat before backing or you might go swimming for it.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Apparently keeping the transoms up is the key:
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=75762
  • If wind blows towards the beach and you could safely beach the cat first and then go to the dock, it could be an option.
    Sailing downwind with the sails fully seeted in is quite controllable and slow even in strong wind. Perhaps more controllable than backing up, unless you master that technique (I don't.. when I needed it in a similar situation, I chose this alternative way). The scary part if it's windy, is to turn the boat upwind, mid way it'll want to sail away..
  • icon_biggrin

Edited by jackb on May 27, 2014 - 05:25 PM.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • sorry, I wasn't clear. I am on the water and I am trying to sail it backwards to the dock. I gotta tell ya, it's a bitch.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • In my experience, you're not going to be able to consistently sail the boat backwards. The boat will really only sail backwards if the wind is coming from nearly directly ahead, otherwise it's going to side slip and/or want to go forward. The only way I can realistically see you getting the boat to the dock backwards would be by dropping the sails and either paddling or motoring in.

sm
  • Do it all the time and it's really simple.
    Raise boards and rudders.
    Unsheet/release jib and main.
    Put your weight on the bows and the transoms will raise up.
    Boat will drift dead down wind.

So easy a caveman . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • P.M.Do it all the time and it's really simple.

If the wind is blowing directly at the dock, then yes this technique will work. But if the wind is coming from any direction other than directly at the dock....good luck! And of course, if you're sitting at the bow with rudders and boards up and you happen to misjudge the dock slightly then get your gelcoat repair kit or check book ready.

Sitting on the bow and sailing backwards works great if you're trying to get off an offshore beach. If you're actually trying to hit a target like a dock and dodge other boats, well not so much.

Of course the bigger question is, why not just sail in forward and then spin the boat once you get to the dock?

sm

Edited by Dogboy on May 27, 2014 - 11:44 AM.
  • It all depends on windspeed and windangle.
    If its blowing straight into the box , its do-able.
    With wind from the side....... try another way to
    get there.

Learned to sail backwards in any wind condition because
    of the water plants near our club, they fall of rudders and
    daggerboards sailing in reverse.
    But always with the wind on the nose.
    And, never ever pull you're rudders up, they are you're only
    tool to point in any direction. Even in reverse..

Regards, André

Edited by catmodding on May 27, 2014 - 07:27 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Okay, we are getting closer to the answer. Understood that I have to be into wind. I also know I am going to have to backwind the sails. I am having a hell of a time figuring out which way the jib will steer the hull and which way the main will steer it. Any takers?

I know there are some college sailors out there and I know most of you have been forced to figure this out by your coaches. Help an old guy out :)

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • go out into the open water & try it Pete, far from anything or anyone, drop a couple bouys or balls or some kind of floaty thing...lol

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --
  • My only successful backings have occurred when pointing the bows directly into the wind, and paying close attention to keeping them there, using the tiller to make precise, small corrections. In moderate and strong wind, the windage of the rig and hulls is sufficient to push the boat backwards. In very light conditions you could hold the main off to one side or the other to increase the windage. You really need to focus your attention towards the bows so you can quickly catch any tendency for them to fall off one way or the other. And of course you need to take real fast glances aft to see where you're going, as you approach the shore. With all sheets fully slackened, at some point you've got to get rudders up(probably good to start this maneuver with one up so you only have one to pull at the end), jump off the boat and control it. Remember to get them up! The kick up feature only works in the forward direction!

It's important to emphasize that with this method you can only back dead downwind, so you'll need to accurately pick the point that you round up into the wind, as you won't have the ability to make course corrections during the backing. So you want the boat to stall directly upwind from the point you wish to land. If you let the bows fall off too far, they will continue to until the sails power up and you'll start moving forward again, probably not in a direction of your choosing.

Another note is that in a big blow, the boat will gain some speed backwards, and you need to hold the tiller firmly and keep the rudder(s) close to centered, making small corrections. If they get too far athwartship, the water pressure will slam them to one side with great force, also producing undesirable consequences.

As recommended above, practice. Do it anywhere away from solid objects. Get good at it, it's a valuable skill, part of seamanship.

Dave

Edited by davefarmer on May 27, 2014 - 08:45 PM.
  • Thanks guys. It will be an interesting thing to work on the next time I am out in some lighter winds. It definitely would be a good skill to have in my back pocket.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • Congrats on your Mateship Peter!!

--
    1975 P16 "Spring Rain"Sail # 642
    Home Built 2004 Optimist-Delta "Unity"
    So old it has Dino hide for a sail Chrysler "Pirateer"
    Steve
    Oyama BC
    Lat 50.1167 N
    Long 119.3667 W
    1700 ft
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.