Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

To spi or not to spi  Bottom

• So, that is the question. I'm considering a Nacra 500 and I'm undecided, Sport version with spi and a larger jib or Fun version saving $3k...
    I'd appreciate comments from anyone, those who have cats with spi, do you use it a lot? Is it worth the extra cost and additional weight when going upwind?

Thanks. BTW, that Flying Phantom is awesome icon_eek
  • Have sailed the Nacra 500 over at Key sailing in Pensacola,FL.
    It is a great boat upwind & downwind. If you have the money for it i'd go for the spinnaker & larger jib, especially if you plan on sailing with other people and want to go fast.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Spinnakers add a lot to the catsailing experience for me. It allows the boat to be powered up enough to fly a hull downwind, as well as upwind and beam reaching, And that's where the rush is for me, so anything that can increase the amount of time that I'm getting that fix, is money well spent. Now, when I'm on a cat without one, I'm missing that extra gear. So evaluate what kind of sailor you are, what rewards you expect to get from this activity, if adrenaline is part of the equation you need the spinnaker. You'll soon forget about the additional money, or consider it the best money you ever spent!

Dave
  • + 1 for Dave here.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Thanks for your comments, I agree, if affordable, spi is the way to go.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.