Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Barberhauler on Prindle 18  Bottom

• Hey Pete, I noticed you had barberhaulers on the Prindles you have for sale. Does it make a noticeable difference? Thx Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • For light winds, crew can simply hook the jib sheet around end of main beam, but for medium wind or more you want to open the slot between jib & main a lot more when on a beam or broad reach. Don't forget that on a broad reach you let the main traveler near all the way out. Hence jib needs to go out as well via barber hauler (ie, the line hauls the jib sheet outboard). Need 2 rings, 2 cheek bullet blocks, 2 cleats, 20' 1/4" line. Pete
  • Does it create a lot more clutter on the tramp? I suppose it is easy enough to remove the line on the lighter days or when just goofing around with more than two people on board.

Actually, here is another thought. I will call it the cheapo barberhauler. Take a carabiner and tie it to the lacing of the tramp. Have crew just snap the jib sheet through it when going on a broad reach. This way it is not in the way when I do not really want it.

I am just thinking of my wife. She likes the fact that there are hardly any lines on the tramp of the boat.

Edited by peterk123 on May 15, 2014 - 08:23 AM.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • IMO, If you aren't racing, don't worry about it if you want to keep the boat simple and clean. You'll still move downwind without them. Our non spin boats need all that we can get when racing away from the A mark.
    If you are going to race, you'll quickly see the advantage and may go the extra mile to run everything in the from beam or something like that.

Happy wife, happy life.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.