Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

nacra 5.2 parts  Bottom

• Is there a salvage market for old cat parts . Looking for the jib rachet blocks . also would like to rig those on the main beam rather than on the tramp wire the way the book shows. any comments
  • Yep, lots of people on here have spares, a couple of us have complete spare boats. I think I have a spare set of jib blocks but can't say for sure until I go to the cottage over the weekend. Otherwise look at the buy and sell. The blocks aren't specific to the Nacra 5.2, any set of ratchets will do.

You can't rig the blocks to the front beam. The jib overlaps the mainsail too much. You need a block location close to the daggerboard wells. The only other option (besides getting a smaller jib made) is to mount tracks to the tramp rails on the side and attach the blocks there. My 5.7 has them mounted that way. I mount mine using pure dyneema line covered with a bit of rubber hose instead of the steel cables. I also mount them under the tramp with just a foot or so going over the tramp through two eyelets. You can see some examples on my photo gallery http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=74145

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks Wolfman that helps a lot.
  • I had some and just sold them on here a couple months ago. Keep looking here but you can check Harken's website also, hit up the clearance section. I've CLEANED UP there in the past.

I second wolfman, I didn't think that the jib blocks were ever on the front beam on the 5.2. I thought that the "deluxe" kit had them on the hulls as he mentioned. I just run my on tramp with slots in the tramp so that the unused for and aft section are under the tramp and don't trip me up. You get used to it.

Edited by cezo823 on May 14, 2014 - 02:39 PM.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • Also, welcome to the 5.2 and to the beachcats, Damon will soon be asking you to fill out your signature so that we know where you are and what your awesome 5.2 looks like.

Secondly, the same blocks are commonly used as spinnaker blocks, that may help broaden your search. Don't look for just jib sheet blocks.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • Check these out, believe these are what you are looking for. If not, browse through the catalog, I'm sure they have it. Rippin' good prices. I purchased mainsheet ratchet blocks from them. They are awesome.

http://sailcare.com/fiddle-blocks.shtml

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • Thanks peterk I think one of those will work. Why does the manual call them rachet blocks? Do I need the mast rotator?
  • I'm not sure why you would need a ratcheting block. My dad's uses a fiddle with a cam cleat. 2:1 purchase is plenty for a jib. The viadana blocks are really a bargain. It was quite an upgrade to my old mainsheet system. Super smooth and the ratchet with 8mm line has incredible hold.

His boat has a mast rotator, with a line running through it to a cleat on the boom. I would say, yes, you need it so you can control the rotation. The base does not have stops, like on some of the hobies. I have the same setup on my Prindle 18 and came in handy the other day when I needed spill wind off the top on a very gusty day.

Some of the 5.2 experts here will be much more helpful than me.

Just this weekend we took the cable for holding the jib blocks (no track on his boat) and strung it under the tramp, through the slots, then back under. Boy, did it clean up the tramp. My biggest complaint of his boat was the lack of room due to all the lines. I wish we did it ten years ago. Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • My ratchets are usually off on the jib blocks but I'm solo, I cleat that thing and adjust it as needed. If you have a crew who is holding onto constantly then they would appreciate the ratch-matic stuff, just like the skippers and the mainsheet.
    Just my 2 cents.
    No opinion on the other blocks as I don't know anything about them. Seems worth a try.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • when i got my 5.2 the jib blocks had been moved top the tramp track rails on the hulls

it wouldn't point for $H!T

so i moved them back over the tramp but cut slots in the tramp and put new wires under the tramp

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.