Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Gibbs Phoenix Value??  Bottom

• Hi all,

I'm completely new to this site and it seems I found the right place! I have done all the reading I can on the Gibbs Phoenix (very little info out there) but can't seem to nail down a value. Why I ask is, locally someone has one for sale and I honestly don't know what to offer him since I'd never heard of this type of boat before. The condition is as follows:

-Main Sail and Jib look original but in really good condition (few small holes along the ribbing) but sail-able.
    -Mast is solid.
    -Hulls and Keels are good. There is some small fiberglass work I'd need to do to the aft, but the rest is solid.
    -Rudders are shot.
    -Tramp is shot.
    -Hardware looks like it is mostly, if not all there, and useable.
    -Main sail rigging looks newish and good, but the rest would need replaced.
    -Comes with a trailer that looked tow-able and in decent condition.

I have sailed larger Hobie's in the past but am looking for a smaller boat to keep up at my cabin for toying around on windy days. Any and all info/insight is appreciated. Thanks for your time!
  • http://rmn.craigslist.org/boa/4457708598.html

Here is a Phoenix for sale for sale for $600 OBO, its in decent condition, I would start at $400 cash offer and settle on $500 for boat and trailer. You will have to spend another $500 + getting the boat in decent condition, new standing rigging, new tramp, the rudders you might have to manufacture out of wood as they will be difficult to source.
  • Ok, that at least gives me something to turn over in my head. So would you say that they are only worth about $600 in decent condition (like the ad you posted a link to)? I'm not looking to flip this for a profit, but also don't want to sink close to $1,000 total into it; not to mention a ton of work, and it's still only worth $600ish. For that $$, I'll likely pick up an older Hobie in the 16ft range for the same price that is ready to sail.
  • emu_sean, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com.

I love to collect information on these out of production beachcats, so please ask if the owner has any old literature or assembly manuals put away.

These boats were built in the 1960's, so you can call them collectors items or just really old boats, so there is no market to refer to. This really is strictly a case of what your willing to pay vs. what the seller will let it go for.

Ask yourself if you just want to go sailing or are you trying to make a statement with a unique boat? No matter what the price, to own basically an antique boat is a special consideration.

Keep us updated, and if you buy it add pics and info to the Phoenix/Gibbs photo album here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=80294

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • This is a very well balanced boat of modest weight with kick up centerboards. Sail area of 235 sq.ft. should move it better than 77.8 PN, but with minimal racing probably by non-racing owners may be reason for high number. Untapered battens has the draft at 50% aft instead of 35% which would improve performance considerably. Show me an 18' monoslug you can buy for $600 that can go 15 knots comfortably. I'm trying to buy one in the Midwest & don't know how I'll get it to Ca! Pete
  • I called the owner and he made a deal that I can't turn down. The current owner recently bought the house its at (on the water) and is fixing it up to move in, and the boat came with it. I may have to sink some $$ into it, but in the end you all make some good points; and it would be a unique boat to own. Since I can't seem to find time to shrink my current to do list, it's probably gonna sit in my back yard through the summer for repairs. The wife is gonna love that haha!
    @Damon Linkous- I will ask the current owner about any manuals, but doubt he has any as he inherited the boat through the house purchase. BUT it is worth asking for the both of us. At very least as soon as I get her home and wash her down I can get some pictures of it to add to the collection.

I'm probably going to build the rudders myself, as 1 of the current rudders is in at least good enough shape to make a template from. I do have a question though. Are both rudders exact matches, or are they mirrored with a different camber? Also, any suggestions on wood type that may work best? I may just end up making them out of sheet metal as the lake I'm going to be sailing in is very weedy. Haven't decided yet....
  • Trying common rudders may be easier and cheaper in the long run. Post a pic with a few dimensions and. We should be able to come up with something similar.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I hadn't thought of going that route either, could salvage some rudders off of a different cat. I did however just have a family member offer up some mahogany, and there is enough of it to make at least 1 rudder and attachment board/piece from. The more I think about it I'd like to keep as much of it as close to original as possible, since so much of the boat is original, and in good condition.

As soon as I get the "template" rudder put back together I'll post some pics of it. I'm in the process of washing the boat down/polishing the metal, and going through the rigging to see what needs replaced. It's supposed to rain here all week, but I will get some pics of the boat up as soon as it looks presentable.
  • I've given up on the one in Detroit listed now for $200 as no place to put it & get out to Ca. Pete
  • @Pete- I believe that the one listed in Detroit is the boat I'm talking about, and ended up picking up lol. It was less than a mile away from where I live and couldnt pass it up. I don't think the seller had taken down the post yet; which would make sense as I've been unable to get a hold of him since I got the boat earlier this week. At least you know who owns it now, it's not going anywhere...

To anyone else who was curious, it rained here all week so I haven't had a chance to do much work on it or get many good pictures. I'm up at my cabin for the weekend (de-winterizing the other boats) and working off of a tablet, but if I figure out how to use this thing I will post the pics of the rudder that I pieced back together. If not, expect some early next week. Thanks again for all your help so far!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.