Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

jib roller furler install on N5.2  Bottom

• I will be doing a lot of solo this summer and I really should put a roller furler in. Murray's has a kit for $500 but I can't believe that's the cheapest way to get it done. Would you buy the kit or piece it together yourself?

Also I haven't found too many threads that talk about installing on a N5.2. Do you need to modify your jib?

Edited by joejedy on May 05, 2014 - 07:20 AM.
  • Do it yourself, the biggest cost is the furler drum & upper swivel. Appx $240 for the Harken if bought new, half that if you can find a used set.
    Ask Pete Begle,here, he had a few Hobie sets.
    Standard jib will fit
    I made this album, under Tech Help, a few years ago to help furling virgins.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=88268

Edited by Edchris177 on May 05, 2014 - 10:07 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I have a hobie 18 furling drum for sale, good condition, $75. You will need to shorten your forestay by about 6" ( i believe ) and get the upper swivel.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • The H18 is a very strong unit. It mounts slightly differently than the Harken, due to the "ears", & works best if you have marine forks on the end of your bridles.
    It looks like this;
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ctures/?g2_itemId=106757
    I got mine from Hullflyer, who advertised it as being in "great" condition, as you can see, it wasn't.
    If you elect to go with the Harken upper swivel, make sure it is the Hi Load unit,(Torlon bearings)

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks edchris! I've been looking through your write up and it's the most informative help I've found yet!

I've ordered the hi load harken small boat furler as recommended

For my application I will be putting up and taking down the mast frequently so I need to order the rest of the parts accordingly.
    What other parts would you recommend? Mn3 looks like they had a good setup
  • joejedy,
    I solo my 5.2 and have had it in some hairy stuff. I don't furl the jib at the risk of weather helm and less control, unlike the 5.5 uni, the 5.2 was made to be a jib and main boat. I don't know what you weigh but I'm at 215-220 and put a righting pole on. There isn't much that I won't go out in.
    That contradicts what I'm about to tell you though...
    I have the furler that came with my 5.2. That I would sell. It has the drum, shroud/stay, and upper swivel. All you would need is line for drum and a cleat for that line. $160 shipped assuming that you live in the US. I just ordered new sails with horizontal leech battens on the jib so I can't furl anymore even if I wanted to.
    Looks like you ordered something already, but if you are interested in returning that and getting what I have just let me know and I can shoot you some pictures.
    Selling a extra main too. I'll cut you a hella deal on both. Haha.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • Cezo, yes I am interested in buying your setup. Do you have any up close pics of it set up on your boat?
  • Got your PM, I'll reply there.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.