Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

61st Mug Race - Won by Chris Cordes on an A Cat  Bottom

• 92 boats started, 11 finished. On a mostly Northern course, there was 20 knot winds, rain and 3 foot breakers in the St Johns River until about halfway, then the sun come out and the wind stopped.

Rudder Club member Chris Cordes won on an A Cat.

Catamarans represented in the race

A Cat
    F18
    GCat 6.1
    Hobie 14
    Hobie 16
    Hobie 18
    Hobie 20
    Hobie Fox
    Hobie Getaway
    Hobie SE21
    Hobie Wave
    Nacra 6.0
    Nacra 5.5 18 Square
    Nacra 5.5 SL
    Prindle 16
    Prindle 19
    RC 30
    RC 27
    Supercat 17
    Supercat 20

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Lin to results? Anyone?
  • Working on it. Will advise

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Final Results

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/7939#_docs

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • How many cats finished? I figure the wine and cheese crowd bailed out and the beachcats kept on in the face of adversity! icon_biggrin

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • No one bailed on the race. It has a time limit, to provide mercy killings. icon_lol The race has a Mid Course finish line where provisional times are taken in the event of the wind dying before sunset. Trophies and finishes are then recalculated using the Mid Course times. All Classes got trophies as most of the fleet made the mid course finish.
  • bruiserNo one bailed on the race. It has a time limit, to provide mercy killings. icon_lol The race has a Mid Course finish line where provisional times are taken in the event of the wind dying before sunset. Trophies and finishes are then recalculated using the Mid Course times. All Classes got trophies as most of the fleet made the mid course finish.

Cool, sounds like they've worked out a nice system so the event has an outcome whatever the weather.

And Kenneth, thanks for reporting!, I wish more events on our calendar had someone who took the time to give a quick report of how things went. Definitely pays off and creates more interest and attendance.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yeah, thanks Kenneth. I love hearing about all those southeastern distance races. Hope to do one someday.

dave
  • You are all welcome, this is the Rudder Club's premier event and has a huge catamaran following. There were some equipment failures and some people with younger children who bailed in the interest of safety and comfort, but for the most part, most of the sailors made it to the mid way point and were scored. There were 11 who actually made it to the finish.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Glad to hear they changed the scoring. I remember 1 year only 6 boats made it to the bridge by cutoff(no scoring was done at the bridge) and only 3 boats made it to the finish by the cutoff time. Shortest trophie presentation in the history of the race.

Edited by beachsailor on May 06, 2014 - 09:45 AM.
  • Ha ha, what year was that beachsailor? Usually that occurs because we have no wind. The last two years have been stormy/windy conditions.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • I have done the Rudder Club "slug race" 4 times. Twice monohull Hunter 23.5, twice Nacra 5.2. Have not EVER sailed that race where there was decent wind the whole time. May is not a good wind month for Jacksonville. Rudder club needs to move the race to another time of year with more predictable wind- Maybe April? Have sat on a boat on the St. John's for 8 or 10 hours going nowhere too many times.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • hyperopeI have done the Rudder Club "slug race" 4 times. Twice monohull Hunter 23.5, twice Nacra 5.2. Have not EVER sailed that race where there was decent wind the whole time. May is not a good wind month for Jacksonville. Rudder club needs to move the race to another time of year with more predictable wind- Maybe April? Have sat on a boat on the St. John's for 8 or 10 hours going nowhere too many times.

While I can say I have done my fair share of floating, my fastest speeds ever sailed have been in Mug Races. There have been a number of these races where the wind has been very big. Last year's event is a recent example.

As for moving the Race, it was moved from beginning of June to beginning of May, to get better wind. The Club has considered moving again, however, there are real concerns with moving earlier into the year. The water temp's are just beginning to warm and as we found this year many times the air temps do not get out of the 50's. This is a real fear for folks on small cats turning over in the River and help taking a while to get to them. The majority opinion is to deal with weather rather than risk serious issues with sailors lives.

What is most frustrating though, is that the day after the race, no matter when it is held, is always perfect. icon_lol

Edited by bruiser on May 07, 2014 - 10:24 AM.
  • bruiser[

While I can say I have done my fair share of floating, my fastest speeds ever sailed have been in Mug Races. There have been a number of these races where the wind has been very big. Last year's event is a recent example.

As for moving the Race, it was moved from beginning of June to beginning of May, to get better wind. The Club has considered moving again, however, there are real concerns with moving earlier into the year. The water temp's are just beginning to warm and as we found this year many times the air temps do not get out of the 50's. This is a real fear for folks on small cats turning over in the River and help taking a while to get to them. The majority opinion is to deal with weather rather than risk serious issues with sailors lives.

What is most frustrating though, is that the day after the race, no matter when it is held, is always perfect. icon_lol Edited by bruiser on May 07, 2014 - 10:24 AM.

I guess if I were to attend every Mug Race, maybe one out of every four would have wind? Even as a former Rudder Club member, I think I'll pass on any more Mug Races. I'm too old and impatient to sit on a small boat sailing with one knot of speed against a two knot flood tide current. One can only hope you make enough progress that when the hour of sea breeze comes in, you are able to make it to the finish line. My advice to prospective Slug Racers: cold beverages and an outboard motor.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • klppurdyHa ha, what year was that beachsailor?

The last year I did the race. icon_lol I never worked so hard to be 15 min late to the finish. I would do it again but have not had the time. The bigest problem(to me) is if there is a thunder storm, there is no where to run(and the wind usually dies after it passes thru).
    The usually scenario is light air for the start and when the wind fills it comes from the back of the fleet.
    The start is staggered based on rating with the slowest boats starting first. The problem is there is less wind(can you say no wind) early
    in the morning so the faster boats are not starting that far behind you. They really need to adjust the start based on the predicted wind speed to give everyone a fair chance at the Mug. I can only remember 1 time that the mug went to a mono.

Edited by beachsailor on May 07, 2014 - 12:10 PM.
  • Uh... way back ...last year was won by a Flying Dutchman. Maybe 2 years before that was a Scow. Come on guys give it another try. I can remember way back when too...What I mostly remember are races that are no longer held. Almost to the person, this is a grueling race. I salute all who take up the challenge, even in the face of difficult odds.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.