Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Homemade Trailer Box  Bottom

• I posted a couple of these on the Prindle FB page (great bunch of guys btw), but I thought it would make sense to set up a subfolder here on Beachcats. I have been trying to come up with a way to build a relatively light and water resistant box for a while. Hopefully this method will work. It is also relatively inexpensive. It will cost me around 100 bucks, maybe even a bit less.

The construction uses ripped 2x4s, frp panels and some aluminum angles. Glue and screws hold it together (and some biscuit joints). It definitely will be water resistant. I think it will be durable enough as well once the aluminum is all in place.

The plan to secure to the trailer will be to use ratcheting straps. I will cut some slots that the straps will thread through, and go across the inside bottom of the box and around the trailer framing.

I am going back and forth with the top construction. I think I will build two four foot long hinged tops, two feet in the center which will be be fixed, with similar framing as the base.

So have it; I am open for suggestions.

Here it is: http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=107690

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • Hey that's awesome and I'm sure you'll get many years out of it.

Did you use exterior wood?

I built one years ago w/exterior 2x2s and put 1/4 luan ply for the shell. Big hinged lid at the front, and access panel/door at the very back... Every winter I'd lightly sand and put a few fresh coats of exterior polyeurathane.

Worked great!

It sure will be a strong box!

Now my little plastic Hobie Sail tube... I fixed that to the trailer with those heavy duty, 3/8 inch wide or so zip ties that are rated for like 80 pounds... I wanted the ability to take my sail box OFF and my sail tube OFF the trailer so I could use the trailer to haul stuff.

Later, I realized the sail box is great for family camping trips... sleeping bags, camp stoves, COOLERS, etc can all go in there... and there's room on the side to strap a canoe or some kayaks on the trailer too.

Good luck!
  • Looks great. Keep us updated! I would like to maybe do this this summer.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • I am using untreated wood. Only the bottom will be exposed to the elements. I plan to spray with that rubberized stuff that fixes holes in gutters, roofs etc. I figured it will be durable enough that way to take the pounding from the road. I am also kicking around the idea of skinning the bottom.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • Peterk123
    Are you sure you wanna use that skin?
    It's not rated for outdoor use which usually means it is not UV resistant.
    It's also going to be subjected to a lot of vibration while traveling.
    I used this in a bathroom (if it is the same stuff) and had to trowel the adhesive on to the bathroom rated binder board, which gave it needed strength.
    Maybe a thin MDO plywood that could be painted instead?
    Just a thought.

Edited by klozhald on Apr 21, 2014 - 06:00 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhaldPeterk123
    Are you sure you wanna use that skin?
    It's not rated for outdoor use which usually means it is not UV resistant.
    It's also going to be subjected to a lot of vibration while traveling.
    I used this in a bathroom (if it is the same stuff) and had to trowel the adhesive on to the bathroom rated binder board, which gave it needed strength.
    Maybe a thin MDO plywood that could be painted instead?
    Just a thought.Edited by klozhald on Apr 21, 2014 - 06:00 PM.

I looked into it. It may get some fading, that's it. Lot of people have used it for roof repair on their RVs with very good success. It will almost always be covered by the boat, so sun should not be an issue. I am also screwing it in place, so the vibration should not shake it free. All screw holes are predrilled in the frp and are larger than the screws.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • I finished the box. I have yet to mount it because the trailer is not at the house. I posted up some more pics. Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.