Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What is a hobie 16 trailer worth?  Bottom

• Hi all, i have become one of those multi hobie owners with my sons, and see the trailer wanted ads around. considering getting some money to buy another sail or two. Does anyone have any advice on what to charge for a trailer? for instance, a painted one without sailbox, some rust that was removed/painted over, fenders, painted, lights work, and another one, galvanized, no fenders, larger tires, which gets it off the ground more. both have mast holders of course. Any advice would be appreciated. I believe in a fair sale (and sail) for both parties.
  • I bought mine from a Hobie dealer, just the trl, rusty, the lights were shit, replaced the bearings anyway~~ $ 400.00
    My girl got one from the want-ads, very nice lookin, when I checked out the bearings one got so hot it welded it self to the axel.... that would not come off even with all the swear words that I know~~(I'am 60+ and know alott) icon_lol The spindle started to bend... so new axel plus u-bolts(old ones wouldn't fit) $150.00 trl when we first bought it $450.00 plus axel, my time, swear words, skinned knuckles, lots of sweat= $100,000.00 I'am good at math also... icon_biggrin

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • There is a guy between my house and the beach. He is selling two H16, both soft, tramps torn to shreds, sails for only one, and he wants $800 for the pair. Both trailers look brand new (except for one tire off the rim = $35 at WalMart).

If you throw out the boats, thats $400 a trailer.
  • depending on the trailer shape (and the leaf springs, bearings, tires etc) $350-750 would probably be a fair price...

PS walmart tires rust much faster than galvanized rims... and they are not balanced but they do work...
  • If the alternative is to disassemble a cat into pieces, and put it on top of your car (which I have done once), then a trailer is priceless, and so is WalMart tire. :)

edited by: H16-71388, Aug 24, 2009 - 05:10 PM
  • haha, not if it fucks up your car.. then it has a finite value!
  • I buy and sell hobbies and part out - I sell trailers all the time. One just left here at 175.00
    I've gotten as much as 350.

Most are poor - My Tiger trailer cost me 600 used + 400 for the sail box. "very nice" used trailer.

--
    Ron Grand Rapids, MI
    Fleet #519
    West Michigan Catamaran Sailors

2000 Hobie 18SX
    1984 Hobie 16 restored, new sails and spinnaker.
    --
  • Most trailer tires are not balanced and will not damage a car in any way.

I've got several steel and aluminum trailers that I've listed between $200 and $350, with no bites. All depends on location and if there is anyone in that location that actually needs a trailer.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I have trailers all the time for So. Cal market, listed at $200-$250 and sell few. Pete
  • Used trailers are funny in that they are usually "thrown in" with the used boat and no one thinks about the value of the trailer, just that it gets the boat home.

And they don't get sold alone very often compared to boats and other parts, so there is less of an established market.

However if you don't have one and need one your options are very limited. There are only a few beachcat trailer manufacturers and new galvanized trailers are at least $1,500 and new aluminum more than $2,000.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I know this is a thread about selling, not buying.. But I assume that buyers might stumble on this too, so I thought I'd share a trailer story.

I've got two Cats- a 14 and a 16 that I'm finally going to drag home [possibly illegally] this weekend. Both are on really rock solid trailers that just need the usual wiring harness attention.

BUT... NEITHER HAS DOCUMENTATION.

Here's the story... The 14 was dumped under cover of darkness on the parking lot where I work. I had been looking for one for years that wasn't totally beat, and this thing literally fell out of the sky into my lap. A 14, too! What are the chances! No boom, no sails, no license plate, and the trailer ID placard had been painstakingly scraped into illegibility. The tongue was just sitting on the ground with the wiring harness cut off before the plug. So I called the local PD and the chief came down and hemmed and hawed and walked around, and called back the next day that no boats of this description were reported stolen nearby.
    Fast forward a few months of phone calls and searching and I track down the legal owner... Fast forward a couple more, and some visits to the RMV with the first set of papers he sent me, and still due to the pre-1981 VIN (6 digits) and not knowing the manufacturer... I got totally shut down at the RMV. I even called the BMV in the last state of registry for a reg reprint, but they wouldn't even fax it directly to Mass without NOTARIZED permission from the previous owner.
    I'm still waiting for a response to a two page email I sent to the Mass RMV consumer affairs department literally BEGGING for someone to grant me a hearing. But I'm not holding my breath. The old owner finally found a copy of his last reg and faxed it to me... but I'm not expecting this to be solved in this decade.

So, fearing the worst, and needing a way to get the boat off my lawn and in the water... off I go to Craigslist to find a beat up old trailer, even if it has a beat up old boat still attached to it with moss and barnacles. AS LONG AS IT HAS A VIN!!!!

I ended up instead with a shockingly intact H16 for about the cost of the trailer... and another undocumented trailer!

At this point I'm desperate enough to start scouring boat junkyards for a trailer with a VIN plate and a legit bill of sale, and I'd probably pay the full price of a used trailer just for that.

So the moral of this long rambling post is... unless you love being looked at like Zaphod Beeblebrox walking into the Registry, make sure the papers are right before handing over more than the metal is worth. I think it's about 10 cents a pound...

Edited by allez-cat on Apr 30, 2014 - 04:48 PM.

--
    1981 H14
    Heirloom Sunfish (3 generations so far...)
    Western Massachusetts
    --
  • Register the trailer as a home built. If it's a trailex, call them first because they'll send you a new VIN and save you about $150.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.