Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie guy looking at used Nacra  Bottom

• Hi all, I'm new to the forum and probably new to sailing compared to a lot of you. I've been sailing a Hobie 18 and 16 for the last 3 years almost every weekend spring and summer. So... I sailed with a friend last year who bought a brand new Nacra 570 sport. I fell in love, but I'm sure that it was mostly because it was brand new. It was so clean and quick to setup. So now I have found a used Nacra 5.8 that I would like to purchase (crazy I was actually looking for beach wheels and found an entirely different brand cat with no beach wheels lol). So I would like some feedback or opinions about early '90s Nacras and specifically the 5.8. Couple of questions to start... I noticed in some pictures that the forestay and jib are attached to a bar of some sort instead of just going straight to the hulls with cable. Why does it have the bar and why not all of them? Is there a particular item or items I should focus on as far as normal repairs and wear. Thank you all very much ahead of time.

Cody
  • Some have the bar simply to spread the load better and at a better angle.
    Can't comment about specific wear items, but like Hobie, NACRA is a good builder with long success record - can't go wrong with either brand... individual boats may be beat and tired, but on the whole, both are great brands....

If you already own the Hobie 16 adn Hobie 18, I'd say keep them, and focus on getting good and tuning and driving one or the other. They are different animals. If you don't have a boat, focus first on a solid boat, let the brand come secondary.

Hobie's strength are their consistency in model design. There's a quadrillion Hobie 16s and Hobie 18s everywhere... so lots of folks know how to sail them, lots of folks to learn and get help from, and lots and lots of affordable parts - a Hobie 18 from 2010 is the same as a Hobie 18 from 1978.

NACRA's strength is their continual innovation. Their newer boat will be better than their older boat in lots of ways. Downside, is you don't have the sheer numbers of boats, parts, and sailors sailing the NACRA x version of boat.....

If I had to go on build quality and sailing capability overall, I'd have to hand it to NACRA.
    If I had to go on fun-per boat, I'd say Hobie because they're everywhere, lots of fun to sail with others having the same boat....

All my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it. icon_smile And I'm a Hobie guy so... hopefully unbiased!
    -Rob
    H18 & F16

Edited by robpatt on Feb 26, 2014 - 01:18 PM.
  • Cody, Welcome to TheBeahcats.com!

If you can handle the Hobie 18 then the Nacra 5.8 shouldn't be too much of a shock, it's a little bigger boat and a little more complicated rigging.

On the Nacra 5.8 that crossbar "wing" where the jib attaches allows a larger jib for the 5.8 NA model (North American) by moving the tack lower than could be done with normal bridal wires. If you buy one make absolutely sure that all those parts are in perfect shape since they are not commonly available. There have been discussions here in the past about the problems in replacing a damaged one.

I wasn't sure from your post if you own a beachcat now? The Nacra 570 is rigged a lot "cleaner" than the 5.8 so if that is what you liked about the 570 you'll need to find a Nacra 5.7 or 570 instead.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Rob give a good overview of the two brands, I'll add that Hobie parts,new and used, are easier to come by.

Dave
  • :) Great feedback Rob, thank you.

I am comfortable with my Hobie 18 (16 is my neighbors) and have enjoyed every moment on them. I am also looking for a newer updated boat than what I have. You have some very valid points and I actually think they are very objective and not biased. At this point I could go either way, and I am committed to viewing the Nacra and will get a really thorough look at her. If she's anything like the newer Nacra then I'm probably hooked, but if I find a nicer 18 for the money then I will stay with Hobie. I'll probably sell my Hobie, but since my neighbor has 4 of them and I can use them whenever I want I thought it might be cool to try something else.

Thank you again for your feedback, it was very useful especially the fact that you are right, parts are harder to come by with Nacra.

Cody
  • we used to sail hobie18s with and without wings/benches in ocean and bay,enjoyed the hobie 18 cats for years than moved up to nacra 5.7 and 570 with wings: nacras r superior, an upgrade from hobie, faster, smoother. 570 rudder system superior to hobie, u seem to ride higher in the water at a greater boat speed. 5.7 and 570 no daggers to hassel with in shallow water or when in the surf. we have little difficulty with obtaining parts thanks to the beachcats .com parts for sale feature
  • Thank you all very much for the information and welcome. I look forward to hearing and sharing more experiences on this site.
  • If you are looking for the clean tramp and ease of setup of the Nacra 5.7/570 the 5.8 isn't going to give you that. It's a little more complicated than a Hobie 18 and doesn't have wings (good luck finding nacra wings, I have only seen them for sale once and I bought em). I have a nacra 5.2 and nacra 5.7. The 5.2 is a smaller version of the 5.8, its a great boat and actually faster than my 5.7 (due to the big sail I put on it) but I can say that I enjoy the 5.7 much more just because of the extra room and simplicity.

If it were me and I had an H18 I would stick with it rather than going with a 5.8. If you are looking for the simplicity of the 5.7 then hold out for one and sail what you got. If you are looking for your own boat, the N5.8 is in good condition and the price is right, go for it!

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I started on a Hobie 18 and went through many boats since then, now on an F18. It took me several boats to appreciate just how good of a boat that Hobie 18 was. If your boat is in good shape, I would not bother replacing it with a 5.8.

One day before a regatta I was working on my Hobie 18 and snapped one of the cross beam bolts off inside the beam. It was a replaceable part riveted to the beam, but obviously that did not help get it on the water that day. I ended up making a phone call and drove across town and dug a replacement beam out of a parts pile, went home and installed it and went sailing at that regatta in the same day. If that would have been any boat but a H18 or H16 I would have been SOL.

My thoughts,
    The rudder system on the Hobie is much preferred to the Nacra Piv-matic system.
    The Hobie has a wealth of used parts available.
    The Hobie is easier to sail in big wind.

The 5.8 is boom-less, which is nice.
    The traveler works better on the 5.8
    The 5.8 has a little more grunt.
  • Wow. Thank you guys. I made an offer for a hobie cat that I can afford. My 18 is great, but it's aging and I need some new sails and will be going to the coast a lot this year. I want a newer boat that can handle te beatings. I'm going to look at both the nacra and this newer hobie. I am hoping I can buy the hobie since it has beach wheels and newer sails. Your combined info on parts for a nacra is swaying me for sure. :) thank you all again. Hopefully I'll get to sail with some of you one day.
  • Well.... if that doesn't work out I'm really thinking of selling my cherry Hobie 18...
    I sail solo a lot, and when I have crew our combined weight is about 260... so when the wind is on... we're too light to really power up the Hobie 18..

So I bought an F16, weighs 240 pounds, modern boat that may suit me better.

I've loved the Hobie 18 and taken VERY good care of it... the only reason I'm not sure about selling, is she's a great boat, in perfect shape, and hate to see her go.

1992, formerly SX so has factory hull reinforced glass front and rear... the upgrade shroud anchor plates, 2 sets of great sails... one set Hobie for class regattas... one set Whirlwind squaretop pentext and SX jib.. EPOs, new hobie tramp (2011)... new sheets (2012) ... new rigging (2013).... fat storage bags.. super glossy gelcoat, faired boards, stored under sunbrella cover... trailer... beach wheels.. raced/won several hobie class regattas... the North Americans... Mid-Winter's East... looking for $4K.

here's one pic from spring 2011 regatta:

http://osyc.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=22118

Edited by robpatt on Feb 27, 2014 - 09:34 AM.
  • Pm sent Robert. I certainly would like to know more.
    Thanks
  • The Nacra 5.8 was the best cat I have ever owned. The Hobie 18 is probably better for toting a family and general purpose use, but that 5.8 is a beast that will do whatever you are man enough to make it do. I have buried the hulls up to the front crossbars multiple times, and the boat always powers through.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • simplicity of the 570 is not just a benefit, it comes at a price, no daggerboard means pointing lower into the wind and harder to tack. Less controls lines means also less control and tuning. To me the daggerboard is a significant topic, it's not that hard to deal with, the only real disadvantage is that it uses some room on board but the advantage is significant. Boomless sail is a good thing if you are more into family sailing and safety, I wouldn't underrate that too.
  • While a board less boat will offer less performance, I'm not sure its much of a factor for a boat reaching around a lake by itself.

Edited by bacho on Feb 28, 2014 - 08:37 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Well, that's where personal preferences come to play. I am just a recreational sailor but for me pointing a few degrees more and tacking easier makes a huge difference. Like a car that's able to accelerate at high speed or not. Not needed all the time but makes all the difference for some. You could even argue it's about safety, in both cases..
  • Love all the comments. Thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting out and sailing soon. It's been too long, cold winter here in Texas.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.