Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How to reattach the dead eye H-18  Bottom

• Rivet holes are elongated approx 9/32" need suggestions to effect repair.

Thanks boudreaux
  • Hello boudreaux and welcome to TheBeachcats.com,

Have you got pictures of the problem? There are instructions in my signature below on how to post them here. I'm assuming you mean that the stainless strap structure that the tail end of the mainsheet/traveler line attaches to behind the rear beam has pulled off the beam?

Those are some hefty rivets so I'm not sure, maybe you will need to fix the beam by welding in a patch and making new holes or it might be easier to find a good condition used beam.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Drill through to the top of the crossbar using a 7/32" bit and then thru-bolt using #10-24 round head machine screws and a nyloc nut. That's what I did on my boat several years ago and it's been holding up fine. Another option might be to increase the rivet size to 1/4 diameter, but then you would have to increase the diameter of the holes in the dead eye and that might not leave much material remaining. Thru-bolting is probably your best option. I would not weld the crossbar since this would destroy the temper of the aluminum and significantly weaken the crossbar.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Feb 17, 2014 - 06:43 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.