Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 on the wire from the wings, main sheet in the water?  Bottom

• It seems every time I get up on the wire from the wings the main sheet is dragging in the water behind me... Am I'm too far aft on the wing? Worries me cause I don't have a proven solo righting system for my heavy 1980 H18... Thanks
  • - There's no one right place to sit fore or aft on the boat (regardless of wings).
    - You have to see how she's sailing - about 90% of the time you don't want the sterns submerged.
    - Besides, the sterns are short, and the bows are tall, so move forward so the bows are down enough that the rear flat part of the stern is out of the water. It's always a moving target how forward or how back to put your weight, always a compromise.
    - You can sit really far forward before stuffing the bow, and the wings are kind of an early warning system before a flip.
    - I encourage you to move about 2 or 3 feet forward on all points of sail, see how the boat reacts. Get comfortable with it. You will have better boat trim, and therefore speed.
    - As for the mainsheet, just housekeeping, make sure you keep it on the boat. Stick some of it under your foot, put a piece of rug or something between the back lacing line on the tramp so the line cant slip through. As you will notice, if you're screaming along, and that main goes out behind you, when you need to uncleat, you can uncleat, but the sheet won't go free because it's trailing you in the water... can't sheet out, and you flip....
    - You really need a way to right the boat!
    cheers,
    Rob (H18 dude too.. )

Edited by robpatt on Feb 15, 2014 - 11:10 AM.
  • Spot on !! Rob, well done.

robpatt
    - You really need a way to right the boat!
    cheers,
    Rob (H18 dude too.. )

And a way to get back on board safe.

Grtz André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.