Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 or Prindle 16  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Could any local Rappahnnock or bay sailors make a recommendation on whether to get a Nacra 5.0 or Prindle 16? I will be moving soon to a place with beach access right at the mouth of the Rappahannock (Near broad creek). I had been looking to get into cat sailing for awhile after four years of competitive monohull racing. (Vanguard 420s). I like to keep in price around or under $1500, and use it for a bit of racing and day sailing around the area.

Also if anyone could point me in the direction of finding one of the two to buy I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    -Zack
  • I'm not from your area but judging from your choice of boats and budget I have 3 words of advice for you. Condition, condition, condition. Both the boats are no longer manufactured, they both have about comparable performance and require the same skill level and both are awesome boats. In your budget range you will find used boats in all sorts of states of repair with many owners who know little or nothing about them. Find the one in your area in the best condition that will require the least work to get sailing. that being said, I love my Nacra 5.7 and would heartily recommend the Nacra 5.0. :)

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for the info, I had been thinking a Nacra 5.0 but finding one has been troublesome to say the least. Managed to find a Prindle at only $800 but I'm worried about the condition. I'm waiting some extra Info and pictures now. I know the 5.0 is a boomless set up where the prindle has a boom. Would you have any information on the differences sailing the two systems?

Thanks,
    -Zack
  • Good descriptions can be found here:
    http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

I've only sailed the N5.7 and N5.2. The N5.7 is just a longer version of the 5.0. I can say that I absolutely love having no boom and no boards. The drawback of the boomless setup is it is that you can't get quite as much power or point as high as with a boom. However, its still plenty fast and fun. On my N5.2 I smacked right off the boat one day during a bad jibe. Obviously that was my fault but I like not having to worry about it. I like it so much that right now I'm looking for a 5.0 mainsail to make my 5.2 boomless also.

Both boats have about the same portsmouth ratings, so again they are comparable in terms of performance, both are hard to pitchpole compared to a hobie 16. I think the N5.0 looks a little sportier but that doesn't mean much. I don't think you could go wrong with either boat.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • i have sailed both
    i would buy a 5.0 over any 16
  • If you find your cat and get it up to speed there will be a two day regatta just up the river from you in early May. Good luck! Kevin

--
    Kevin
    Wantanacra
    VA Beach, VA

Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • prindle 16 dynamite in ocean,definitely superior in surf,, for bay sailing 5.0 lighter.(almost bought a 5.0 but my 2 dart 18s r lighter), rudder system on the older nacras suck-i had a 5.2 (lost to sandy")and have a 5.7 and the rudders are a hastle in shallow bay situations, prindle rudders must be 6 inches longer, r great for flying hulls , and when rudders pop up when u r in shallow water u can hold them down at 45degree angle and still be able to steer, the nacra rudders pop up to a horizontal position(had 4 different prindles) both cats superior to hobie 16 (had 2 of those) no boom probably a plus but the prindles r more plentiful less expensive and there r more spare parts around for them, so for bay sailing 5.0 may be slightly better for u, since no boom,glad u moved up to cats used to sail monohulls back in the day celebrity,cape cod, blue jay. flying scott.lightnings etc
  • I agree about earlier statements regarding finding a boat in good shape but I really like my Nacra 5.0 because of it's ease of setup (no boom to attach,etc), it literally takes me 15 minutes to rig the boat (mast is always up). Also the Nacra's hull is shaped to cut through waves where I would imagine a Prindle could easily "trip" and you be tasting water as a result of it. I'm not positive regarding speed but with my Nacra I reguarly have put Hobie 16's to shame.

--
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marc C.
    Cleveland, Ohio.
    Current love: Nacra 5.0
    Old loves: Int Laser, Int Europe, Int 470, Int 420, Vaurien
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
  • FlyingDutch. I'm not positive regarding speed but with my Nacra I reguarly have put Hobie 16's to shame.

You would also speed out Prindles 16 and 18. (not sure about 18.2)

If you like racing you will proably be happier with a N5.2 or a Prindle 18.2 (assuming that you will have a crew). If you find a fleet to compete with, of course.

Edited by Andinista on Jan 27, 2014 - 11:14 AM.
  • Wolfman is right on the nose.
    Buy the cat that is in good condition, or a really good value if you feel you can repair it.
    Both Prindle and NACRA were designed to be ocean racers, in direct response to the H16 failings in high waves and wind.
    The hull designs are all about positive flotation and control in the water.
    You can't go wrong with either.
    I prefer Prindles, and race mine in 40 mile regattas offshore, but so what?
    Find a cat with sound hulls, hardware that has not been thrashed, decent sails and a working trailer.
    There are times I wish for the simplicity and fun of my old 16 foot cat.

Edited by klozhald on Jan 27, 2014 - 04:20 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Zerwin-
    Look for this kinda offer:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    This is in Florida, but is a good example.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I love my Nacra 5.0, easy and quick to rig. Easy for single hadling or with the crew. Very good with waves and chop, fast.
    The drawback is slow sailing downwind.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Quote The drawback of the boomless setup is it is that you can't get quite as much power or point as high as with a boom.

It's the dagger boards that make it point to weather so much better.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • nofearofflying Prindle 16 dynamite in ocean, definitely superior in surf, for bay sailing 5.0 lighter.(almost bought a 5.0 but my 2 dart 18s r lighter), rudder system on the older NACRAs suck-i had a 5.2 (lost to sandy")and have a 5.7 and the rudders are a hassle in shallow bay situations, Prindle rudders must be 6 inches longer, r great for flying hulls , and when rudders pop up when u r in shallow water u can hold them down at 45degree angle and still be able to steer, the NACRA rudders pop up to a horizontal position (had 4 different Prindles) both cats superior to Hobie 16 (had 2 of those) no boom probably a plus but the Prindles r more plentiful less expensive and there r more spare parts around for them, so for bay sailing 5.0 may be slightly better for u, since no boom

Word.
    All of them.
    Dart 18s are harder to find, and a great cat.

If you are interested in how the boats are rated against each other, here is a link to PHRF ratings.
    Lower numbers are faster- but it is always the sailor that makes a cat go fast:
    http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=106389

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1378017_598897353491637_826833032_n.jpg

you can hot rod these things icon_eek !!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • If the Nacra 5.0 was as good a boat as the P-16, you have to ask yourself why there aren't more 5.0's around. Both boats were being sold at the same time, the cost difference wasn't that much. I have sailed both boats and although I think Nacra makes one of the best catamarans you can buy, I would argue that the general population has already answered this question 20+ years ago!

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • Quote It's the dagger boards that make it point to weather so much better.

With all due respect, don't get hung up on the daggers vs skeg hulls.
    I have an N5.7 & N5.0.
    The trick when going boardless is to get the weight forward, way forward, as in bury the lee hull at least 1/2 way. A sailing acquaintance on the Island pits his new Hobie 17 Sport(centreboards) against my 5.7 on a regular basis. I have to work, & stand on the front beam, (or sit at the mast if the wind is light) but I can point as high.
    The H17 is no slouch, he can really make that thing fly, until the water gets rough. Then it is no contest.
    There are quite a few N5.0 around, just not many for sale. The Prindle 16 dates from the very early 70's, The N5.0...1982.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jan 29, 2014 - 07:22 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • P8dawg, that is pretty poor logic. The P-16 and the N5.0 are both better boats in many ways compared to the Hobie 16, yet there are more Hobie 16s than almost all other beachcats combined. Its mostly marketting and manufacturing. The number of boats made had nothing to do with the quality of the boats.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • 1500$ should get you a first class p16....great hulls, extra sails, beach wheels, good trailer...otherwise, you can get a fixer-upper for way less if you are not scared of a little glass work. I love mine, tuff, simple, carries weight good, cheap available parts...but don't be surprised if you end up with some other boat altogether because it's the best boat available. I was trying to resurrect my hobie 16 when I bought my p16 for 500$...5 years later and nearly 90 trips, I invested in new sails/tramp last summer and it's a completely different boat(as duly said "I put a 400 in the vega")...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • When we had large fleets of 5.2's and P16's racing, you would still be lucky to have 4 5.0's( or 5.7's for that matter) show up to race. When they did, it seemed only Larry Hartec could make them competitive with the board Nacras. I am not trying to slander anyone's boat, but I think you still have to ask yourself why there aren't more available, be that because few people bought them when they were in their hey-day, they aren't as strong, or just weren't as desirable to the beachcat public.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.