Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Do you want a Fully Foiling Beachcat?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I hope you are right Dave,, But like I said I am open to trading my Infusion out for a new Phantom even up.

lol
    Jenna

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • Besides I would provide some serious crash photo ops learning to sail it

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • Can you run standard F18 boards/foils and race it in F18 rule races?

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • No, the boat isn't really an F18 at all and violates the F18 rules in almost every way. The beam is too wide and it has too much sail area. It's also too light and made from non F18 approved materials.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • shipchips1Can you run standard F18 boards/foils and race it in F18 rule races?

I read somewhere that conventional cat hulls would likely break if you try to make them fly with foils.
  • Thanks guys, it will take a while for enough of those to get sold to have a class for racing if ever. I was hoping it could run in F18 rule races without the foiling boards.

I guess you would have to run it in open class and use its rating for corrected time, correct?

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Andinista, it'd be nice to have a link on that. I think you need a lot of structural reinforcements, but maybe it can be done.

Stock F-18 is much heavier than the Flying Phantom. It is, unfortunately, not a great candidate for a flying boat. A F-16 would be much better, especially since some are designed with a little bit of lift to begin with

You'd be running the Flying Phantom in open class against the F20c, M20 and Olympic 17 in Florida, and that's about it. All those platforms have curved boards and thus are 90% flying.
  • samc99usAndinista, it'd be nice to have a link on that. I think you need a lot of structural reinforcements, but maybe it can be done.

Sorry, i didn,t find it. I think it was somebody from the Phantom team in an interview but can't remember where.
    I'm sure it was a first source and talking from experience and not just a light and uninformed opinión
  • Would someone at OSYC please buy one!!! That way I can tell the wife I "have" to get one so we can have a class race. Come on guys, help me out!!!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • For those of you who can't wait to foil or don't have the budget to sustain wrecking a 30k cat while learning to foil there is an Australian company that makes a foiling retrofit kit for the laser. If memory serves correct its around $5k and bring your own laser. I looked at it briefly a few weeks ago and it a full set of new blades with foils on them and some other parts.

Foiling solo may keep the admiral happy by watching from shore.

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --
  • Here's a link to the Flying Phantom official race-debut, http://vimeo.com/89758333
    They smoke every other cat on the water !!
    Meanwhile Nacra offers the F20 Carbon with a foiling package, http://www.nacrasailing.com/nacra-f20-carbon-fcs/
    And a upgrade kit for the "older" F20 Carbon.
    If other builders would come up with an upgrade-kit..
    Who knows, we all will be clocking 30 knts + in a few years time.

Gtrz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.