Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Do you want a Fully Foiling Beachcat?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Just published an update about the fully foiling Flying Phantom from Phantom International in France.

This is the same folks as Sail Innovation that are famous for their innovative and beautiful F18 class sails and the previously launced Phantom F18.

Please read the article and discuss it here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…/Fully-Foiling-Beachcat/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • awesome! sailing just like the America's cup 72's.
  • YES! 'nuff said.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Can we get a group discount Damon?

Hey, nice avatar!
  • Do these boats have any sort of foil control?

I know the Moth's have little flaps on the foils to control the ride height, and the AC72's would rake the board forward and aft to control the ride. From the video and pictures it looks like these foils are one solid price with no flaps; and I also don't see an obvious foil rake change... so how do they do it?

These things look amazing. I cant wait to see one
  • I don't think there are any flaps, the dagger/foils angle of attack can be adjusted under way just like the AC72 by tilting them fore and aft.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I want in on that group discount!!!!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • bberkeyDo these boats have any sort of foil control?

DamonLinkousI don't think there are any flaps, the dagger/foils angle of attack can be adjusted under way just like the AC72 by tilting them fore and aft.

Hi,
    Here's a pic from their website, its clear they have some sort of "trim or adjustment" possibilities.
    http://www.phantom-international.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/FlyingPhantom_PartsDetails_16.jpg

Here's the curve of the foil
    http://www.phantom-international.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/FlyingPhantom_PartsDetails_06.jpg

And the link to their website http://www.phantom-international.com/

Grtz, André

Edited by catmodding on Jan 20, 2014 - 11:50 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • And a video from the website, sailing starts at 00:45

http://vimeo.com/83829320

André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • from the phantom website......
    "Her price: around 26,000 euros."

$35,000 US + s/h to the US
    $97.00 per pound

crashing at 30 knots.......? priceless! icon_eek
    j

Edited by arch on Jan 21, 2014 - 04:46 AM.

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • The Flying Phantom from Phantom International in France is not a beachcat in the truest sense.
    You cannot beach those foils.
    You have to hold the cat in the breakers and await the catrax.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhaldThe Flying Phantom from Phantom International in France is not a beachcat in the truest sense.
    You cannot beach those foils.
    You have to hold the cat in the breakers and await the catrax.

They are used off a beach so I think they are beach cats. Fact is, NONE of the new generation racing boats are usually "beached" in the traditional Hobie 16 sense, and even a lot of serious Hobie 16 racers are prone to stop in the water and use cat trax.

Most owners of new F18's, F16's, N17's, Carbon 20's etc. never intentionally let their boats drag across the sand, even using stern pads while resting on the cat trax (with cradles) while on land.

So while the Foils are a new level of complication, mainly because they have to be inserted from underneath the hulls, the owners experience won't be that different from other new models of beachcats. Even putting in the foils from underneath isn't that bad since the boat is light enough to lift by pulling on the opposite trap wire.

That's my take, what does everyone else think?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • What do they do about kick-up rudders for T or L rudders? Do you just rip off the transom if you unintentionally ground it at 30 knots?

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • you do not sail these things where there is any possibility of hitting the bottom or very bad and expensive things will happen.

Edited by marcs2 on Jan 21, 2014 - 07:13 PM.
  • I agree with Damon. The C2 does not get landed on the beach like my old Hobie 18 did. I treat it much the same as they are in the video.

I would imagine there is a break away of some sort on the rudders, like the bolts being designed to break instead of ripping the transom off. Either way, its on you to keep them off the bottom in the first place.

Besides, at 30knots your foiling and only drawing 12" of water icon_biggrin

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I was thinking that even if they had the standard kick up system it would just act as a brake once it popped up. It would certainly beat the heck out of the damage that could be done to the boat, not to mention the two crew who would continue to fly forward at 30 knots through the rigging and all.

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • Seems like conditions have to be just right to take one of those out, thanks, but I will stick with my 35 year old hobie 16 and sail it just about anytime and not worry about running it up on the beach or into semi submerged obstacles.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • I wonder how long it will take some resourceful individual to come up with a kit to outfit most brands of catamarans. It may not be a good, but who knows foiling is at its infancy. Commercially.
  • I love these things but the cost is going to make them untouchable for most beachcat sailors myself included. They will most likely however be used in competitions that are more gauged to a semi or professional crew. But I am willing and ready to trade in my F18 Infusion for a even up swap to help them get some here in the Northeast. I don't see retro fitting as an option either as it would require lots of glass/ carbon work to get done and how many different manufactures and models are there? Besides I am an old tart and would most likely hurt myself

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • I agree aftermarket is probably not feasible especially for our old boats. But I would think that the technology is going to slowly creep into the newer boats. I wouldn't be surprised to see it work its way into F18 or other classes in some limited way. The same way curved boards, chined hulls and wave piercing bows has. Probably the next step in the evolution of the N20 carbon or Olympic 17. And as the technology gets into more boats it will become better and cheaper.

I've seen this happen in the mountain bike industry over and over. 15 years ago disk brakes were heavy and only found on super expensive bikes. Now even a lot of the cheap bikes have them, and they are crazy light.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.