Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie Getaway Questions  Bottom

• Hello All,

I'm a new sailor looking closely at the Getaway with wings as my first cat for all the reasons discussed on this site. Here is my criteria and a few questions for the members. My budget--for boat and trailer and parts, if needed, is 10K or less.

1) Safe, fun, social sailing. I don't intend to race, and speed is not a priority. Comfort/safety and carrying capacity are what I am looking for,
    2) Trailerable with a 4-cylinder engine. I have a station wagon/crossover that can tow up to 1500 pounds, but I don't want to push it especially if I am carrying a family and lots of gear.
    3) Easy to rig
    4) Durable hulls (for those bumps and bruises I'm sure to inflict as a novice)
    5) Plenty of spare parts available

Does the Getaway meet all the above criteria? Other boats I should be considering?

Here are my questions
    1) Can the Getaway sail in the ocean? I'm moving to Southern California and would love to take it out in the Pacific. Any specific concerns I should be aware of?
    2) Can the Getaway be rigged and sailed solo? I intend to do most of my sailing with family or friends but I'd love the freedom of going out on my own, safely, when inspiration strikes.
    3) What is the weight capacity of the Getaway? 1000 lbs? Does that include people and gear?
    4) Can the Getaway be launched from the beach or from a dirt ramp onto a lake?
    5) How wide is the Getaway on a trailer? I've heard it is a big awkward to tow...

THANKS for any insight/advice you can provide. And if anyone sails out of Southern California please reach out!!

Sincerely-
    SoCalSailor
  • the answer to ALL (but your technical questions) is:

YES! - (including " Any specific concerns I should be aware of?" )

All the tech specs can be found on the hobie website at - http://www.hobiecat.com/sail/getaway/specs/

1000 lbs is 4 adults plus sun tan lotion & coolers. what more do you need?
  • The Getaway has high- volume, indestructible roto-molded plastic hulls, cooler storage in both hulls, roller furling jib, front tramp for kids and gear, easy to setup, easy to sail; perfect for your criteria. A little heavy to tow with a 4-cylinder, just under 400 lbs, trailer another 300 lbs, kids and gear will almost max u out, make sure u install a transmission cooler on your tranny. Also, look at installing bigger wheels if the trailer has 8" wheels.

R
  • there are lots of places to sail in the Socal area, from Ventura to San Diego, Long beach has a great lunch set up as well. If you are more inclined to sail lakes there are several around, my fave is Big Bear.

Where do you plane on sailing ?

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I hadn't thought about the need for a transmission cooler! I will look into that before I purchase the boat.

Jeff O--I plan on sailing out of Marina Del Rey, but also potentially up in Ventura where my brother will be. I have spent lots of time on Lake Arrowhead but never seen a single sailboat! Is Big Bear lake much better for sailing?

Cheers
  • socalsailorI'm a new sailor looking closely at the Getaway with wings as my first cat for all the reasons discussed on this site. Here is my criteria and a few questions for the members. My budget--for boat and trailer and parts, if needed, is 10K or less.

socalsailorThanks for the advice everyone. I hadn't thought about the need for a transmission cooler! I will look into that before I purchase the boat.

socalsailor,

First, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com! You are in a wonderful area with great weather and water.

On the transmission cooler, it might not seem obvious but the tow rating of 1,500 pounds is OK for the weight of the boat/trailer/gear but doesn't account for wind resistance and hills. Your beachcat on the trailer will be much wider than your car and so creates a lot of drag at interstate speeds. Easy for the tranny to overheat and wear prematurely.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • socalsailor

I haven't sailed Lake arrowhead but I know one of the Hobie fleet Division 2 runs a regattas on both lakes from time to time. We have access to a place in Big bear so tend to go there. Send me a PM if you would like to set up a sail day when things warm up.

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • SoCalSailor be sure to check out Mission Bay! icon_wink

--
    Ron
    Big Bear Lake, Ca.
    1990 Hobie 18 Worlds
    1988 Mac 26Dagger
    --
  • You can rent a Getaway at the Hilton San Diego Resort in Mission Bay, it might be a good idea if you haven't had a chance to test it.
    Good luck.
  • According to the Hobie website, Fast Lane Sailing Center in San Diego is the ONLY licensed Hobie dealer in Southern California! How can that be? Are there other places to buy a new Getaway? For a used one, do I just scan the classifieds on this website?
  • socalsailorAccording to the Hobie website, Fast Lane Sailing Center in San Diego is the ONLY licensed Hobie dealer in Southern California! How can that be? Are there other places to buy a new Getaway? For a used one, do I just scan the classifieds on this website?

Absolutely, you can also place a "catamaran wanted" ad in that section stating what you are looking for.

Getaways don't pop up often and usually sell quickly, there happens to be a California Getaway in the classifieds now.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Or if you want to take a road trip to the Mississippi Gulf Coast you could pick up this Prindle 18 version of a Getaway complete with wings and front tramp for $2,900

http://www.thebeachcats.c…457-1982-prindle-18.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.