Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

purchase of a Prindle 19 as a starter cat?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• marekli,

I live in LA and have gone out in San Diego Bay a few times. Most ramps there are doable with my setup (ready for this?): 2007 Honda Civic coupe with aftermaket receiver and extended (6 in higher) ball, towing an '81 Hobie 16. I get a few looks from teh other guys on teh ramps every now and then, but hey, a guy's gotta sail. Looking into the beach launches in Long Beach soon as well.

--
    Cole
    DTLA
    '81 H16 Project to Catalina
    --
  • I get looks too. Ready , 1997 Nissan Altima towing a Prindle 18-2 icon_eek

--
    Doug Klem
    Pensacola , Fl.
    Blade F16
    Prindle 18-2 w/spin
    Prindle 18-2 x 3
    Prindle 19 MX
    --
  • PIRATE39I get looks too. Ready , 1997 Nissan Altima towing a Prindle 18-2 icon_eek

That must look awesome next to the guy with the 30 foot center console towed by the diesel dually.

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • Lol, try my Mini Cooper S pulling a Hobie miracle 20!
    It does great with the aluminum trailer :) icon_eek
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • especially when I get him off the line . WHAT !! icon_lol

--
    Doug Klem
    Pensacola , Fl.
    Blade F16
    Prindle 18-2 w/spin
    Prindle 18-2 x 3
    Prindle 19 MX
    --
  • I looked up the NADA guide, the boat's priced quite a bit less than asking price and it's the first model year. On the other hand there's an extra jib and then there's probably not a lot of these available so I might end up waiting longer or have to go with a Hobie 16 or 18ft that seem like they come up quite a bit. Anyway, what are the main price drivers, condition, market, availability, season, age?

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • I look at condition first
    You can have a 30 year old boat in great condition and a 5 year old boat that was driven hard and put away wet - so to speak.
    After that all the rest fall into a generic category of important, but no wheres near as important as condition. Season will play a part. Come April in the NE and boats jump in price
    Availability is a part as well. Hard to find some boats at all, and if you are set on one of those, you will end up paying what the seller wants - if they know the market.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • we haven't taken it for a trial, understandably that only makes sense when I am ready to buy. So from looking I'd say it's worn but functionally ok. The trailer is run down. THe sails have some wear where they cleat into the mast and zipper around the stay but otherwise look ok, no roller furling. Hull is aged, worn but looks ok, a few cracks but they look superficial to the coat, and I could not find a serious soft spot close to the cross bars or anywhere else I looked around for them on the top of the hull. The stays and wiring I could not see much off, it's got a protective (plastic?) layer around and the lines and tramp looked ok but again definitely used quite a bit. Everything has been sitting outside under the weather and that certainly does not help. I'd say it probably does not need serious repair to be funtional but then I am not an expert. I was hoping for a better cosmetic condition...but then if I wait until the season prices may increase too on this type of boat...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Any older boat will need some work.
    I now (after the unfortunate demasting) change out the standing rigging on any boat I buy that I do not have intimate knowledge of the rigging age. The coated wires do not make me feel any better either, as it is harder to tell condition.
    Sounds like a sailmaker could assist with the sail repairs for a fraction of new sails, and that would get you on the water.
    Do you have a friend in the area that you can drag with you that knows cats?
    I am now in S Cal for at least the winter and could look at it with you if you need - and if the trip isn't too far. I am not sure where the boat is in relation to Orange County - but I am in central Orange County and am always up for checking on boats
    PM me here if you want an assist - always happy to give new cat sailors a push - or just advice
    Best

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • I have a crispy P-19 Dacron Smyth jib for $225.00.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • I have a little differant opinion , I bought a cherry 19 Prindle with all the go fast sails and this is more fun then a riding a greased bull
    My way of looking at it was to buy it and take my time learning the characteristics of that boat and always have enough in the way of performance in the bank so as time goes on it will always test me.
    I love this boat and find it is a much more forgiving boat than some of the others because of its size.
    I can say at this point that I will not get bored with this boat and that was a concern when I was looking at smaller Hobies and Nacras.
    I have already hoisted from the deck and successfully flown the shoot solo a few times and loved every minute of it, one thing to practice is always keep the mainsheet in your hand and 99% of the time you can get out of trouble.
    So that is my two cents worth !!!!
    GO BIG OR STAY AT HOME !
  • I am still a relative newbie (4 yrs), sailed monohulls since '79, but for what it is worth, the ad indicates "newer wheels" I am assuming beach wheels. These are great for several reasons. When setting up once the mast is up, you can roll the boat around to face the wind for installing sails without fighting the wind. Secondly, it will make breaking down at days end much easier, and also on those days when you don't get in until low tide, you won't damage your hulls getting the boat to the trailer. I have been lucky to sail with a great group of people. We watch out for each other, look over each others boats for possible missed problems, etc. As a newbie to cats, sailing with knowledgeable people, will greatly hasten your learing curve. Not that you will need to keep up with them, but you will learn from the things they do without thinking of mentioning it to you. I would suggest beach launch. I also agree with the mentioned jib furler. A Hobie type furler can be installed without needing to cut your sails, and it is a great way to depower, as going out in up to 10 mph winds, don't mean you will not get caught out in 20+. I have done this with my P18-2. If it don't already have a 6;1 up haul on the rudders, this is something I would recommend, and I am willing to walk you through. Best Wishes!
  • the newer wheels refer to the trailer, not to the beach (cat trax?) wheels....

I spoke to a few more local sailors the last few days, a couple of them also somewhat familiar with cats and Prindle/Hobies/Nacras...the consensus is going smaller for a beginner maybe 16ft, mostly b/c of the learning curve. Then also scanning the ad market the price does seem a bit high, it's worth around 1500-1800 the condition it is in and depending on how much the buyer is looking for a larger Prindle. It's definitely nothing to brag about cosmetically and I am looking at it as a starter boat that would get me through a season or maybe two before I look for a nicer boat. So ideally I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money to keep it up during that time. I could also store a 16ft in my driveway while a 19ft with 30ft mast means expensive off site storage and I would be somewhat limited in performing maintenance. B/c of family and job access having the boat close to my place to do any maintenance on it is definitely a factor...

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Well, after a lot of humming and hawing (did anyone notice???) i ended buying the boat i fell in love with today. We spent half a day going through set up and sailing the boat in fairly light winds in Mission Bay. Nice warm weather and i hopefully will remember most of it when i try to rig the boat in the drive way the next few days. Anyway, thanks to everyone for posting comments and feedback, everyone's angle is very useful. In the end there was some kind of mutual attraction with the boat and me and so i just followed my heart....i'lll post a pics and experiences as things come along and probably will have a lot more questions to follow up with...
    Marek

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • QuoteIn the end there was some kind of mutual attraction with the boat and me

how can you tell when a boat is attracted to you?

Congrats!
    lets see some pics when you rig it again
  • MN3how can you tell when a boat is attracted to you?

Answer: The battens stiffen up.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • if I can find a way to practice rigging dry during the week, I should be able to take the P19 back to MB next weekend for a sail and take a few pics. I will have a very good sailor with me so I am not too worried about the sailing part mostly concerned with the rigging right now... Any particular technical sections anyone can recommend are appreciated. Also, we rigged the boat loosely on the trailer and only tightened the stays after the main was up. Apparently, raising the main after tensioning the stays is very difficult. Also, getting main and jib to clip into the O-rings was a bit of a challenge, so there's definitely some work carved out for me just to set up the boat before actually sailing. Finally, I either have the option of launching it from the ramp and then beaching it next to the ramp to raise main and tension the rigging or launching from the beach (Fiesta island) trailering it into the water using the tow vehicle (no dolly/cat trax yet). If anyone is familiar with San Diego/MB/FiestaIsland and could comment, that would probably be very useful too.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Quotegetting main and jib to clip into the O-rings was a bit of a challenge,

those are tricky at first, even for seasoned cat sailors

QuoteFinally, I either have the option of launching it from the ramp and then beaching it next to the ramp to raise main and tension the rigging or launching from the beach (Fiesta island) trailering it into the water using the tow vehicle

best option (imho) is to step the mast on the trailer and back it down the ramp (mast up), get it to the beach and raise the sails there. check for powerlines at every ramp

if your in salt water - it's not the best for steel trailers, springs and any type of wheels/bearing but can be done in a pinch - i would hose it down asap

Edited by MN3 on Jan 06, 2014 - 11:33 AM.
  • "if your in salt water - it's not the best for steel trailers, springs and any type of wheels/bearing but can be done in a pinch - i would hose it down asap"

yeah, that part I know well since I already trailer a power boat...I recommend Boeing T9 spray - more expensive than regular anti-corrosives but well worth the money..

Unfortunately while the boat looks in good condition the trailer was not really taken care off too well, so that's the first thing on my list to do the next few days.

Edited by marekli on Jan 06, 2014 - 09:51 AM.

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Quotebest option (imho) is to step the mast on the trailer and back it down the ramp (mast up), get it to the beach and raise the sails there. check for powerlines at every ramp

I agree just make sure you still have the boat tied to the trailer and the trailer hooked to the ball or things
    could get interesting in a hurry.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.