Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hull touch up questions  Bottom

• Ok, so the hulls of my Prindle are 33 years old. They are tight. I had the boat sitting in the water for almost a month and it took on no water. The gelcoat on the sides/bottom are faded, I don't have many dings and everything feels solid. The "keel" was painted by the previous owner. He used two part urethane but it is not what I would call very good looking.

I don't believe I can bring back that nice new shine so I am kicking around the idea of painting it with Brightsides. Do you guys agree, or should I try to buff the heck out of it? Also, would you sand the paint job off the keel and add a couple layers of cloth to reinforce if you planned to go through the effort of painting? Thanks Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • i would try an acid wash first
    costs about $5 (i use sno bowl - toilet cleaner) and you may be surprised at how white it will get
    you can then use 800 wet sand to remove any stubborn stains

you then need to seal the gel-coat (old gelcoat is porous and will not stay white for long)

I used to use 301 to seal it, but

i highly recommend NewGlass2 - just did this to my boat last week - (you would not see any reflection prior to doing this)

http://www.israeltour.com/images/shine.jpg

PS what is a "keel" on a beach cat .. do you mean the very bottom of the hull? if so ... no one (except fish) will see this ... who cares what it looks like

Edited by MN3 on Oct 15, 2013 - 02:38 PM.
  • yup, "keel" is bottom :) I just figured it may be worth reinforcing the bottom for future drags up the beach.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • pics?
  • I will take some this weekend. I have it stuffed into my garage right now. I just tried some 1000 grit paper (wet), then rubbing compound on a small section. I can't believe it but it is buffing up nicely. I tried just the rubbing compound but it didn't work. I have to sand it.

I will used a heavier grit to blend and smooth out the paint on the bottom. I may not be painting after all.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • i wouldn't worry about the bottom if its structurally sound
    hell a little sand paper and spray paint goes far
  • Rubbing compound is not agressive enough to remove heavy oxidation. Use 800 grit wet and then rubbing compound. When done, you may use marine wax. Some people recommend Polyglow but it is a coating that must be stripped when you need to do any repairs. Wax you can clean off with acetone only.

I suggest to do any repairs or adding a wear strip prior to any buffing.

There was a thread about refinishing old, faded gel coat last year. To those who used Polyglow - I am curious how it is holding after one season or longer.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=72641

beef up the keels while you can no matter paint/gelcoat. check out this album, I did the same stuff. either way you go paint or buff and/or gelcoat...it's a lot of work. but the boat looks so dang good!!! sounds like you are 1/2 way into the paint business. you could paint the bottom again and try to buff/polish original gelcoat...or paint...or sand/strip bottom paint and try to polish...or spray new gelcoat on all. the easiest being polish tops and paint bottom. I had a beater with mismatched hulls and paint was my easiest option. no matter paint or gelcoat, you can make repairs and touch up. brightsides is a good product.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • coastrat - nice album, thanks. I think I may try to paint the bottoms again. We will see how it looks once I sand and blend it in with the rest of the hull. It looks like the previous owner put lots of paint there, and I am fairly certain it was the two part type. I had sand a spot paint repair he made and it was hard as a rock.

I'm going to sand and buff the whole boat first. Fortunately, I enjoy that stuff. Believe it or not, I find it relaxing. I'm one of those weirdos that even waxes his bicycles.

Windadict - I have been reading about Poliglow and similar products. I agree, I like the wax idea because I can remove it. Plus, I will wax the boat multiple times during a season, so I am not worried about it wearing off.

Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    --
  • QuoteThere was a thread about refinishing old, faded gel coat last year. To those who used Polyglow - I am curious how it is holding after one season or longer.

this is the same as newglass and newglass 2

depending on where you live - all you need to do to keep it's luster is re-aply a coat or 2 at the end and beginning of the season. Here in fl need to apply another coat every 3 months or so.. couldn't be easier

QuoteSome people recommend Polyglow but it is a coating that must be stripped when you need to do any repairs. Wax you can clean off with acetone only.

denatured alcohol (or new glass pre-treatement) will remove the product... but even easier is ... Sandpaper. you need to prep your area with sandpaper anyway... so there is no extra step

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.